Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The death of LBSs as we know them. Reborn as Jiffy LBS?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The death of LBSs as we know them. Reborn as Jiffy LBS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-18, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Maybe. (Or, I might misunderstand your post.)

So ... the store might be an advertisement for "trek" (if it is a good shop with good people)
That's precisely what I meant: a Trek shop is the best advertisement for Trek. Should be obvious, but evidently the writer quoted above had overlooked it.

I agree with the other stuff you said, but I'd suggest that even fairly knowledgeable shoppers still like showrooms to confirm, in real life, whether what they think they want is really "all that." And it's a lot easier to shut down a browser than it is to walk away from a showroom empty handed when one was all ready to open ones wallet. It is for me, anyhow.
Old 02-09-18, 12:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Also, let's not forget we're talking about discretionary retail. Retailers have little interest in how well-informed the buyer's choice is, as long as the buyer WANTS what they have to sell. Often enough, the more irrational the desire, the likelier the sale.
Old 02-09-18, 02:05 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,549 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by kbarch
That's precisely what I meant: a Trek shop is the best advertisement for Trek.
Yes ... but trek isn't subsidizing any bike stores out of its advertising budget ....
Old 02-09-18, 03:35 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes ... but trek isn't subsidizing any bike stores out of its advertising budget ....
No. And that's why Trek isn't as eager for bike shops to disappear as the writer suggests: they'd lose all that fantastic "free" advertising. That's the thing about reputation, brand awareness and goodwill. It's immeasurably valuable, but you never see it on a balance sheet.
Old 02-10-18, 11:10 AM

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would imagine Trek makes co-op dollars available to retailers to advertise specific sales and events branded with their name. At least that's how it works in most other consumer goods businesses.
Old 02-10-18, 06:29 PM

Bikes: BMC SLC01, Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Sorry, but who takes their bike to a shop to change out a cassette or lube the chain? It takes longer to drive / ride your bike to the shop than to do it yourself. You can change a cassette in literally 2 minutes. The tools it takes to do it cost $5-$10.
Old 02-10-18, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by maartendc
Sorry, but who takes their bike to a shop to change out a cassette or lube the chain? It takes longer to drive / ride your bike to the shop than to do it yourself. You can change a cassette in literally 2 minutes. The tools it takes to do it cost $5-$10.
Plenty of people that won't do anything to their bike more involved than pumping up the tyres.
Old 02-10-18, 07:25 PM

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Plenty of people have no idea on how to change a cassette and might figure it's much harder than it actually is.
Old 02-10-18, 09:14 PM

Bikes: Spooky Mulholland

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
My LBS's in my area are thriving as they sell some high end stuff and leave the lower end to such places as Eriks bike and board (not dogging on them at all). What is killing things is the price for parts/accessories, I will do everything I can to support the local businesses but when they want 75.00 for one GP4000 25mm tire its hard not to find the same tire for over half the price online. (most of the time you can even get a 2 pack deal).
Old 02-10-18, 11:29 PM

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MakiNn
My LBS's in my area are thriving as they sell some high end stuff and leave the lower end to such places as Eriks bike and board (not dogging on them at all). What is killing things is the price for parts/accessories, I will do everything I can to support the local businesses but when they want 75.00 for one GP4000 25mm tire its hard not to find the same tire for over half the price online. (most of the time you can even get a 2 pack deal).
Yeah、the price for tires is just too steep at an LBS compared to buying online.
Old 02-11-18, 04:28 AM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7674 Post(s)
Liked 3,549 Times in 1,866 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
Yeah、the price for tires is just too steep at an LBS compared to buying online.
And because of mobile mechanics, the rich guys who would buy overpriced stuff never have to go to the store anymore .... so they use the time to surf the web.
Old 02-11-18, 07:03 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And because of mobile mechanics, the rich guys who would buy overpriced stuff never have to go to the store anymore .... so they use the time to surf the web.
Nah, they won't be shopping for tires any sooner than they'd be shopping for motor oil for their car. They'll buy overpriced tires from their mobile mechanic, and they'll probably be even expensiver. Of course the mobile mechanic will be ordering his stock from England or Ireland on the web, so he can get rich selling them at huge margins.
Old 02-11-18, 08:38 AM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by MakiNn
I needed to pick up some resin brake pads last week and the only options in town were from the likes of Erik's, where they were $35. Online, $18. "Just the bottle of sealant today, guys - thanks."
Old 02-19-18, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I remember saying the same thing in 1980's but about changing oil in a car! I remember a time when Sunday afternoon was all about washing, waxing and servicing cars. You'd see lots of car in a drive way with a pair of legs underneath them.

Originally Posted by Dean V
Plenty of people that won't do anything to their bike more involved than pumping up the tyres.
Precisely what the car has evolved into now. Just pump up the tires and take it to the shop for everything else.
Old 02-19-18, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by raria
I remember saying the same thing in 1980's but about changing oil in a car! I remember a time when Sunday afternoon was all about washing, waxing and servicing cars. You'd see lots of car in a drive way with a pair of legs underneath them.

Precisely what the car has evolved into now. Just pump up the tires and take it to the shop for everything else.
Sure, but apart from maybe changing oil, most things on a car are a lot more complex than on a bicycle. Especially now that most cars have more and more electronics built in, so you cannot service it yourself.

Even the most high end bicycle is pretty simple in its operation.
Old 02-19-18, 12:12 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More to do with time

Hi @maartendc my comment was more to do with time. People could learn to service their bikes but that takes time they don't have.

Sure, but apart from maybe changing oil, most things on a car are a lot more complex than on a bicycle. Especially now that most cars have more and more electronics built in, so you cannot service it yourself.

Even the most high end bicycle is pretty simple in its operation.
Old 02-19-18, 01:14 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi @maartendc my comment was more to do with time. People could learn to service their bikes but that takes time they don't have.
Yeah - people have more important things to do with their time - like social media, shopping and video games. Honestly, I'm not the handiest guy, but I don't kid myself that it's because I everything else I spend my time on is more important or worthwhile than taking care of my stuff. Heck, sometimes I wonder if what I even do for a living is more worthwhile than learning to adjust my derailleur.
Old 02-20-18, 09:57 AM

Yeah - people have more important things to do with their time - like social media, shopping and video games. Honestly, I'm not the handiest guy, but I don't kid myself that it's because I everything else I spend my time on is more important or worthwhile than taking care of my stuff. Heck, sometimes I wonder if what I even do for a living is more worthwhile than learning to adjust my derailleur.
It does take some time to learn, but for me, that is part of the fun actually. I like tinkering with my bicycle and knowing how it works and how it fits together. It is more like a hobby than a chore.

That being said, back to the original point of a guy paying a bike shop to change his cassette every other week: it would take LESS time for him to learn how to do this simple task himself (takes literally 5 minutes to learn), rather than driving to the bike shop all the time.

At some point, dealing with organizing/paying a "professional" to do it is more hassle than actually just doing it. This goes for a lot of things in life.
Old 02-21-18, 03:55 PM

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
There is a bike shop a couple of miles from my home of 40+ years. It used to be Chatsworth Cyclery, Valley Bicycles, Cycle World, Bike Guys, and now it's vacant again ( I may have missed a couple of iterations). The last place lasted less than a year. It's on a major street, lots of riders pass by all day. Except for internet traffic, I don't understand why they can't keep the doors open. Must be high rent there, like most of LA. I do most of my mechanical work myself, but have used them a few times for problems I couldn't figure out. I am guilty of shopping online, but try to shop local when I can. Often the problem is "We don't have it, but we can order it for you". Hello Amazon?

Last edited by Slightspeed; 02-21-18 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-21-18, 04:05 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Or people have families with all those obligations that go along with it, or work six days a week, or don't have a house or space to even keep a full set of tools (maybe for a bike that doesn't take much).
Old 02-21-18, 04:13 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I am guilty of shopping online, but try to shop local when I can. Often the problem is "We don't have it, but we can order it for you". Hello Amazon?
Yup, I'll pay a little more locally if I can satisfy my impatience, but having to pay more and (in many cases) wait longer is a bridge too far.
Old 02-21-18, 04:48 PM

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
It's always changing. First tour for me was in '79 (not including a 2-day run by myself a few years earlier). The bike I used was put together from a crashed Panasonic and a Trek frame. All LBS were road bikes and little kid bikes for the Christmas shoppers. Around 1985 I purchased a Stumpjumper at a LBS. That apparently changed everything. For example, the last tour I went on -- still years ago but before '96 -- there wasn't a LBS along the Oregon/N. Cali coast highway that sold much of anything for roadies--everything was off-road. I now see E-bike shops and rentals springing everywhere. Another change, I think, occurred when the industrial-military complex took a hit when Clinton took office... a bunch of engineers in their 50s were cashiered out of the workplace and some of them took to making new-age bike parts. That was about the time of Phil Wood hubs.
Old 02-23-18, 02:27 AM

Bikes: Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I went to 3 LBS's and none of them had the tools for changing a cassette for sale.

One of them even suggested I go to a different LBS, because they couldn't do it.
(I'm hoping that means the mechanic went home early and left only a salesperson, because that's frightening).
Old 02-23-18, 02:42 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
There is a bike shop a couple of miles from my home of 40+ years. It used to be Chatsworth Cyclery, Valley Bicycles, Cycle World, Bike Guys, and now it's vacant again ( I may have missed a couple of iterations). The last place lasted less than a year. It's on a major street, lots of riders pass by all day. Except for internet traffic, I don't understand why they can't keep the doors open. Must be high rent there, like most of LA. I do most of my mechanical work myself, but have used them a few times for problems I couldn't figure out. I am guilty of shopping online, but try to shop local when I can. Often the problem is "We don't have it, but we can order it for you". Hello Amazon?
The LBS I worked at (as big as it was) would get quite a few of these a week. Unfortunately parts are a major revenue source so the store ordering through amazon and marking up a few $ is not likely.
Old 02-23-18, 02:53 AM
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1636 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,703 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Hmmm...

If one has a waiting line, then in theory, one can keep one's technicians busy. And thus maximize billable hours.

To have good drop in service, one should have at least one technician standing around twiddling their thumbs at all times. So they can say grab a bike change tires, and give it back to the owner a few minutes later.

Or change a chain

Or lube something, adjust brakes, etc.

One could modify that, of course. For example have background tasks such as building new bikes or refurbing used bikes that could be done as time permitted, and then jump to customer bikes when they arrive.

Some customers might allow a morning drop-off/evening pickup. Others might prefer a 30 minute or 1 hour turn-around.

Velocult in Portland has a unique design. Half bar, half bike shop.

So in theory, one could drop off one's bike. Then go have a beer. Then pick up the bike and head home
miss them here in san diego. they were my local shop in the south park neighborhood but left for portland around 2011. was always a cool vibe and plenty of old, affordable frames on display to buy and build up. good turn around time and quality wrenching. didn't have a (beer)bar but there were/are a few good ones within a half mile. been wanting to visit them in pdx. didn't get a chance last time i was up there (during the solar eclipse in august) but hopefully in the next year or two.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.