Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1982? Schwinn Super Le Tour

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1982? Schwinn Super Le Tour

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-20, 07:36 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by Gashepherd
thank you for looking, I'm glad that I could help you take inventory of your stock
Well, if the eBay one somehow doesn't work out, it's yours if you need it. I like those headsets, but have no use for it. I wanna say mine came off a 1980 Super Le Tour.
Old 01-25-20, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by uncle uncle
So... by the early 80's, Schwinn was still using a 1" diameter headset? I thought that kinda stuff ended with the 70's? Huh.
1" threaded headsets were the standard for just about everybody. It's just that the Chicago-built bikes all used a thicker steerer with a 21.1 ID. Still considered a 1" threaded headset, but different dimensions than a standard road 1" headset. My 1980 Super Le Tour used the Schwinn sizes. I have a nice 10cm stem here from it that I only use to hang bikes up because it is the skinnier .833 quill.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-25-20, 04:43 PM

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
Well, if the eBay one somehow doesn't work out, it's yours if you need it. I like those headsets, but have no use for it. I wanna say mine came off a 1980 Super Le Tour.
I do appreciate that, I will keep you in mind if there are any problems
Old 01-31-20, 08:10 PM

well, you must be a fortune teller, the Ebay part came in today and it doesn't fit, probably ⅛" bigger diameter apparently fits continental, varsity and the cruisers so it looks like I'm going to need your part -Gerry
Old 01-31-20, 09:41 PM

Here is mine:

Note that's in millimeters, which converts to 1.2875 inches. Best to check it with your old one first.
Old 01-31-20, 10:21 PM

Here is mine:

Note that's in millimeters, which converts to 1.2875 inches. Best to check it with your old one first.

This is the one I need

This is the one from Ebay
apparently this isn't going to be as easy as it looked
Old 02-01-20, 07:34 AM

I'd bet that's 30.0 or 30.2 millimeters, JIS and ISO standards for 1" headsets. Check everything against this chart:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html
You may just be able to swap in a new 1" headset.
Old 02-08-20, 12:32 PM

I'd bet that's 30.0 or 30.2 millimeters, JIS and ISO standards for 1" headsets. Check everything against this chart:
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html
You may just be able to swap in a new 1" headset.
apparently my headset falls into the professional category with a 30.03mm headtube and a 26.4mm crown race id, I went in to one of my local bike shops and talked to them about it, they told me that my dimensions fell within the tolerances of the professional headset, so now I have options

thanks for all your help.
ps. was it common for schwinn to use the professional sets, or was this some kind of upgrade
Old 02-08-20, 12:54 PM

Glad to hear you're starting to get it sorted out.
I really don't know much about why or when Schwinn chose the dimensions they did for their product line. It can certainly make things challenging at times.
Old 02-08-20, 07:24 PM

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 258 Posts
The late '70s Super LeTours also came in the Japan-sourced but 'Schwinn-approved' Super LeTour 12.2

1977 catalog shot:

Schwinn Approved Super Le Tour

A Schwinn Super-Lite entry in the lightweight lugged frame class for no-nonsense riders demanding top performance at a moderate price.
Consider: double-butted chrome moly top and down tubes. Chrome plated front fork crown and tip. Quick release hubs with alloy rims. Schwinn Super Record tires. Alloy cotterless crankset, down tube shifter with Shimano 600 rear and 60 front derailleurs. A hard to beat combination offering much more than comparably priced bikes. Imported to Schwinn's exacting standards and covered by the Schwinn Bicycle Company Limited Warranty- as are all Schwinn-Approved bicycles.
  • Super Le Tour 12.2-19" frame Model SL-9.......$229.95
  • Super Le Tour 12.2-21" frame Model SL-1.......$229.95
  • Super Le Tour 12.2-23" frame Model SL-3.......$229.95
  • Super Le Tour 12.2-25" frame Model SL-5.......$229.95

Specifications

Frame: Double butted chrome moly top and down tube. Hand brazed construction. Tubular front fork, with chrome plated crown and 6" of front fork ends.
Frame Finish: Skarlet, Sky blue, Silver Mist, and ful chrome. Note: $50.00 extra charge for full chrome.
Wheels: 27" x 1 1/4" Araya aluminum alloy rims. Shimano large flange quick release hubs.
Tires: 27" x 1 1/4" Schwinn Super Record high pressure tires and tubes.
Handlebar and Stem: Alluminum alloy handlebar, road racing type. Schwinn-Approved forged aluminum alloy stem, recessed bolt.
Crankset: Schwinn-Approved LeTour aluminum alloy, cotterless 3-piece 39-52 sprocket.
Pedals: Rattrap type complete with reflectors and toe clips and straps.
Derailleurs and Gears: 14-17-20-24-28 cluster combination.
Brakes: Compe G side pull.
Saddle: Ariake Racing style, top quality. Aluminum alloy seat post.
Weight: Approximately 26 1/2" lbs., depending on frame size.

Note: Prices and specifications subject to change without notice.

Old 02-09-20, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.2 from which I have removed the components. If anyone is interested in the parts, they are mosly in excellent condition. I grabbed this Super Le Tour off ebay 2 years ago and it looked like it just left the shop. I had purchased the same bike new in 1977 but it was stolen about 35 years ago. It is the full chrome version and is stunning.
Old 02-09-20, 11:07 PM

Headsets

So, I've been checking Ebay for headsets today just to get an idea of what to expect, then I run across this shimano hp-6207 headset for $35 looking at the pictures of the separate pieces, I'm hoping that the parts are just dirty, but they look to me like the races are pretty screwed up but it's hard to say

This is the Ebay headset, looking at the pictures on a cell phone screen it's hard to tell if I'm looking at dirty parts or a completely worthless headset.

Last edited by Gashepherd; 02-10-20 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Mistake