Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Titanium or stainless steel?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Titanium or stainless steel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 01:02 PM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I have said twice that a magnet wont stick to the handlebars.
Then they're probably Aluminum.

Aluminum can be finished in a wide variety of shades, grades and colors. It can be polished to look like chrome, clear anodized (like the seatpost), It can be brushed, (and usually clear ano'ed) which gives it a brighter or darker hue, depending on the alloy. Aluminum can also be anodized in any number of colors, Black, Red, Gold, Purple, or even Titanium Gray.

Hard Anodizing is a common finish for Al parts that see a lot of wear (like handlebars) and it produces a darker finish (depending on the alloy) like you'd see from an SS or Ti part.

Ti handlebars were never common, even in the 'billet aerospace everything' late 1990's, and have for the most part been moved out of the common market by Carbon Fiber, except for really boutique applications. Somehow, i don't see the owner of a $400 Raleigh MTB fitting it with an $200 Ti handlebar, and leaving the rest of it untouched.

Stainless Steel is pretty rare as a bike material, because it's very, very heavy. Other than the Bridgestone/Kabuki 'Submariner' frame, I can't think of an other application of Stainless Steel for bike components (other than fastners)
Old 03-29-20, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
It would be unusual for a bike with stainless steel handlebars to be thrown in the trash. It was probably fitted over 20 years earlier. It might not have been known or not have been valued. Sometimes the owner dies, and a relative gets rid of their possessions.
It's probably even less likely to have been thrown-out with Ti bars. It doesn't seem to be high-end bike. Were stainless steel bars even really available 20 years ago?

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto/flat...0-26934/search

Stainless is much cheaper than Ti.
Old 03-29-20, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
Stainless Steel is pretty rare as a bike material, because it's very, very heavy. Other than the Bridgestone/Kabuki 'Submariner' frame, I can't think of an other application of Stainless Steel for bike components (other than fastners)
This doesn't seem to be true. For frames, it appears it isn't used much because it's hard to work and more expensive. Maybe, it's a bit heavier too.

https://salsacycles.com/bikes/archive/2015_vaya_travel
Old 03-29-20, 01:15 PM
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Bike looks pretty good shape for its age. But if was my dumpster project I'd be more concerned with wear on gears, bearings, cables, shock and spokes than handlebar material. That's just me

Old 03-29-20, 01:16 PM

Ti handlebars were never common, even in the 'billet aerospace everything' late 1990's, and have for the most part been moved out of the common market by Carbon Fiber, except for really boutique applications. Somehow, i don't see the owner of a $400 Raleigh MTB fitting it with an $200 Ti handlebar, and leaving the rest of it untouched.
I suspect Ti handlebars (or anything) were much more expensive in the '90s than now.
Old 03-29-20, 01:28 PM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,701 Times in 2,521 Posts
Ti bars are very rare. Have there ever been production Ti bars? All the ones I have seen were aftermarket custom and cost as much as that bike. Stainless bars are so rare that I'm not sure there are any.

i had a bike very much like that one. Same stem. It had aluminum bars. Just looking at the poor pictures, I am sure it's not titanium or stainless. Not the right color for either.
Old 03-29-20, 01:28 PM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3591 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
That may have been true 40 years ago, when the Submariner bike was on the market (and the earlier Swedish Crescent stainless steel bike, but modern metallurgy now offers maraging stainless alloys in lightweight gauges. But your point remains correct to the degree that such materials are unlikely to be used in mass-produced frames.
Old 03-29-20, 02:08 PM
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Originally Posted by njkayaker
I suspect Ti handlebars (or anything) were much more expensive in the '90s than now.
Especially when you had options like the Answer Hyperlite and Scott LF series getting into the 140g range at a fraction of the price.

https://www.benscycle.com/nitto/flatriser-handlebar-stainless/23140-26934/search
Those Nitto SS bars look like they're for the Fixie/SS crowd rather than MTBs, vintage or not.
Old 03-29-20, 02:15 PM

Especially when you had options like the Answer Hyperlite and Scott LF series getting into the 140g range at a fraction of the price.

Those Nitto SS bars look like they're for the Fixie/SS crowd rather than MTBs, vintage or not.
It was just an attempt at getting a rough cost.
Old 03-29-20, 02:29 PM
Idiot Pro Tempore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 23 Posts
I think aluminum conducts via holes and so exhibits a reverse Hall voltage.
Old 03-29-20, 02:48 PM
Dirty Heathen

It was just an attempt at getting a rough cost.
But the question remains, other than the look, why would you use Stainless Steel for bars or other bike components. It doesn't offer any weight savings, or, in the context of bicycle use, corrosion resistance over materials (typically aluminum) that cost far less to manufacture.

Again, that's why we see so little SS in the mainstream bike market.
Old 03-29-20, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1613 Post(s)
Liked 2,598 Times in 1,227 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Hey, could be magnesium.
Old 03-29-20, 02:54 PM

But the question remains, other than the look, why would you use Stainless Steel for bars or other bike components. It doesn't offer any weight savings, or, in the context of bicycle use, corrosion resistance over materials (typically aluminum) that cost far less to manufacture.

I don't disagree with this but it wasn't something I was talking about.

That wasn't really the question anyway. It was whether the bars on the OP's bike could be stainless.

All I was addressing was one reason why the bars on the OP's bike were not likely to be stainless.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 03-29-20, 04:23 PM

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Exactly what I told the OP in another thread about his bike: cheap bike, no Ti will be spec'ed on that bike.
I guess he just wants to believe it's Ti so lets all just play along.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 03-29-20, 04:26 PM
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Hey, could be magnesium.
Probably beryllium.
Old 03-29-20, 04:30 PM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
I am going with staintanium.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-29-20, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18430 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I am going with staintanium.
Wrong! Dilithium.
Old 03-29-20, 05:27 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by hillyman
Bike looks pretty good shape for its age. But if was my dumpster project I'd be more concerned with wear on gears, bearings, cables, shock and spokes than handlebar material. That's just me
It is one of the best bikes I have rescued. It appears to never have been left in the rain. Most bikes which are not valued are left in the rain. It has probably not been ridden a lot of kilometers either. It has dust and spider webs on it. If I cleaned it, it would look like new. Everything just works. Most trashed bikes need some repairs or adjustment. There seems to be little wear. The cables all run free. The tires hold air, but lose pressure over a number of weeks.

I like the handlebars, whether they are valuable or not. They look good, are strong, and will not rust. Most rescued bikes have rust and scratches.
Old 03-29-20, 05:32 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts

For people in competition who want the absolute minimum weight, it does not offer an advantage.

For people who want a bike which will look good for years to come, stainless steel is good. Aluminum does corrode when left in the rain.

I did not go out and buy it. I just happened to come across it, and I like it.
Old 03-29-20, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by alo
It is one of the best bikes I have rescued. It appears to never have been left in the rain. ....
Cool. It looks in good shape.
Old 03-29-20, 06:10 PM
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 872 Times in 491 Posts

Ritte makes one off the top of my head. There isn't such a thing as a low end beater in stainless though.
Old 03-29-20, 07:13 PM

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts

Warakin
Old 03-29-20, 07:37 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4369 Post(s)
Liked 4,008 Times in 2,676 Posts
I saw this thread and got really excited and then saw it was asking "does my cheap Raleigh have some fancy handlebars" and I was disappointed. That Raleigh is likely using cheap aluminum bars or possibly steel but not stainless just cheap steel though most likely aluminum.

As far as Stainless Steel for bikes:
Columbus has XCr
Reynolds has 953 and 921
KVA has MS3
and there might be others I have missed. Plenty of builders who work with it. Ritte and Cinelli have/had stainless bikes as stock for a while that I can remember (might be others)

For Titanium there are tons of builders from custom to more stock stuff. My Foundry and Salsa ti frames were not custom built (though I hope to do some custom ti in the future) My next ti frame from Habenero is old stock but may have been a custom order at some point but someone upgraded and since it is Ti you just clean it up and boom still good.

If you are looking for rarity then Magnesium is a more rare material for bikes. A company called VAAST is making them currently and back in the day Kirk Precision made them and that didn't go so well. I think Allite is making that tubing these days so there might be other builders. I remember hearing Weis MFG was going to work with it but I haven't looked in a while.
Old 03-29-20, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Any of the metals being discussed here can be polished to a high shine.
That shine can be preserved with a coat of clear coat.

Until someone can actually put hands on, or a very good clear picture, you all are just spinning your wheels.
The next question is what difference OP, at this point, does it make?
Agree - many aluminum bike parts are polished to a high shine. If the handlebar is not magnetic, I will add $50 to the above $20 bet that it is aluminum.

I also agree that this thread has passed the wheel spinning stage.
Old 03-29-20, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 761 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I would not be worried if it was aluminum. But I am certain it is not....
Originally Posted by alo
...A magnet does not stick to the handlebars.

Could there be another material which retains a shine like stainless steel?
Originally Posted by alo
If titanium is more grey, it must be stainless steel. Unless someone knows something else that has the same appearance.

It is much more shiny than aluminum.
Originally Posted by alo
...It is either stainless steel, or something that looks like stainless steel. It is not aluminum.
Look, you asked what the non-magnetic material is. You say several times you're certain it's not aluminum, apparently because it's shiny. Many people, probably having had many, many bikes (OK, just speaking for myself) state it's impossible or nearly so that it's titanium or stainless steel on a bike like that. So the consensus - and you asked for input - is that it's polished aluminum. Yes, aluminum polishes to a nice shine and will stay that shiny for a long long time. I would say that every single bike I've owned in the past 30 years has aluminum handlebars, many of which have been very shiny, at least on the parts that weren't covered with bar tape..

Finally, you're nowhere near the bike and obviously won't be riding it for a while. So why go on and on and on arguing with those of us - again whose opinions you've asked - who believe the bars are shiny aluminum, not titanium or stainless steel.

When you get back to the bike, decide for yourself. Come back here and tell us we're wrong so we can learn of this highly unusual thing. It would be highly, highly (highly) rare that your non-magnetic bars are not aluminum. I, for one, would really like to know.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-29-20 at 09:48 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.