Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recreational rider, is a Trek Madone 4.5 overkill?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Recreational rider, is a Trek Madone 4.5 overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
If you buy the bike my guess is that those 10 mile rides will turn into 20 miles, and those 30 mile rides will turn into 40-50 miles. Worth every penny.

I am recreational and spent a bit extra on my Felt F55 to get exactly what I wanted. I had more than I ever needed in my full 105 triple set up (and still miss that bike since it was my first road bike), but now I have the gearing the way I like, more comfort, and no more drooling over the F55 that I liked so much every time I walked into the shop. I set personal records in miles for one trip and mph the first season I had it on the road
Old 06-02-09, 11:34 AM

Bikes: Specialized 2006 Allez Elite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Get it if you have the cash.

Just make sure the geometry of the frame fits you as a "recreational" rider. The Madones have more aggressive geometry - make sure it works for what you're doing.
Old 06-02-09, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Buy the best* bike you can afford. Ride the hell out of it. Wear it out. Repeat ad infinitum.

* "Best" means best for your body and style of riding. Might be steel, Ti, CF, or bamboo. Might have 30 gears or 1. Get the idea? Good. Now go ride.
Old 06-02-09, 11:58 AM

Bikes: LeMond Reno

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was this question really posed so that the answers would guide your decision?
You are preaching (or in this case, pseudo inquiring) to the choir.
I'm surprised you didn't see responses also suggesting you swap out that inferior wheelset with carbons.
Old 06-02-09, 12:08 PM

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by n00bL35
I would argue that a more comfortable bike would suit you better. Take a look at the Giant Defy Alliance or Advance before you pull the trigger.
Fail. Very comfortable bike.
Old 06-02-09, 12:12 PM

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by fauxto nick
Have you ever asked "is happiness overkill?", probably not. If riding a bad ass bike makes you happy go for it. I bought a Cannondale System Six and yesterday I rode it at tempo speeds just cruising around for 2 hours working on my base. I realized that yah I love this bike when I'm cranking the hell out of it but it's great ride makes just being on the bike a more enjoyable experience even if I'm only soft pedaling it.
Except for that damn crackling noise...
Old 06-02-09, 12:16 PM
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I can't say I know much about the Madone but if I were riding for recreation I would never go out of my way to buy a race bike. I see people riding Pinaello Princes in LA a lot who are obviously out there for recreational riding. That's great, I pass no judgement on them spending the money. I do consider it foolish to buy a bike for racing and then have to run all this extra spacer to make it comfortable to recreational riding. The money would be better spent on a plus bike.
Old 06-02-09, 12:49 PM
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by garysol1
No such thing as overkill. Get what you can afford and what you want!
What he said.
Old 06-02-09, 01:17 PM

Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Vermont22
Get it if you have the cash.

Just make sure the geometry of the frame fits you as a "recreational" rider. The Madones have more aggressive geometry - make sure it works for what you're doing.

The Madones have a pro fit (aggressive w/ shorter head tube) and a performance fit (longer head tube much like the old Pilot series).

The 4.5 is real nice as long as it fits you. Don't buy it b/c its on sale, buy it because it fits.
Old 06-02-09, 01:21 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fauxto nick
I can't say I know much about the Madone but if I were riding for recreation I would never go out of my way to buy a race bike. I see people riding Pinaello Princes in LA a lot who are obviously out there for recreational riding. That's great, I pass no judgement on them spending the money. I do consider it foolish to buy a bike for racing and then have to run all this extra spacer to make it comfortable to recreational riding. The money would be better spent on a plus bike.
For the OP, the Madone 4.5 is a recreational bike (it has a tall head tube). The Madone 5.2 & up come in rec and race geos.
Old 06-02-09, 01:24 PM

Liked 15 Times in 3 Posts
Good to know - did not know the 4.5 only came in one fit.
Old 06-02-09, 01:32 PM

Bikes: Beach crusier, Specialized FSR mt., retro Raleigh rebuild. Trek Madone 4.5, Schwinn steel frame Frankinstein. BMX rebuild, Specialized rock hopper,

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madone 4.5 = "poor mans" race bike.
Old 06-02-09, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My 2 cents story:
I'm brand new to roadbiking, but I wanted something with 105. Turns out that with the end of season sales going on, I got a full carbon scott cr1 team for less than a trek 2.1 (my other option).
If I paid full retail, I'd think it's too much bike, but I think it's the fanciest new bike I can afford, complete with look cromoly pedals, shoes, bike computer and arundel cages, all for under $1500.
I only ride ~30miles/week, and some occasional metric centuries but I love it!

It's only overkill when a noob like me brought it in to the LBS for derailleur tuning, and it turns out there was nothing wrong! (I was probably cross-chaining)
Old 06-02-09, 02:43 PM

Bikes: Look 555 & Cannondale CAAD 9 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
umm.. just be sure to let us know how the new bike rides.
Old 06-03-09, 11:39 AM
Shoes For Industry

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do what I do - spend waaay too much money on a bicycle. My reasoning is I'm determined to get my money's worth out of it so I have to ride lots.

Or you could use Rita Rudner's pretzel logic, "I buy a new dress cause I need change for gum."
Old 06-03-09, 12:24 PM
Re-entry n00b

Bikes: 2002 Trek Clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, thx for all the helpful & constructive comments! On advice of some of the poster's (sp?) I actually RODE some bikes.

And I've decided that I'm going to do a Specialized Roubaix Compact. It just fit & felt better then the Trek Madone 4.5. Both nice bikes & I think I would have been plenty happy with the Madone, but glad I took advice given here & test rode some stuff.
Old 06-14-09, 05:36 AM
Ed The Fred

Bikes: Two treks...1.5, my new 5.2 and a Cannondale hardtail mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just pulled the trigger on a Trek Madone 5.2 for they have a sale going on that ends this month. There were only 3 left in the size that fits me so I just got that under the wire. I have a trek 1.5 that I purchased last year and I love the bike, very compfy, so I didn't get the pro- fit but I did get a bike with much better components, 5lbs lighter and for $3100.00, a great deal! Trek sorta shot themselves in the foot when they started project one. Nobody was buying the stock bikes so they had so many left over that they had this sale to get rid of the stock bikes. Their loss, my gain!
Old 06-14-09, 06:11 AM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthiest
I just pulled the trigger on a Trek Madone 5.2 for they have a sale going on that ends this month. There were only 3 left in the size that fits me so I just got that under the wire. I have a trek 1.5 that I purchased last year and I love the bike, very compfy, so I didn't get the pro- fit but I did get a bike with much better components, 5lbs lighter and for $3100.00, a great deal! Trek sorta shot themselves in the foot when they started project one. Nobody was buying the stock bikes so they had so many left over that they had this sale to get rid of the stock bikes. Their loss, my gain!
Sounds like a sweet deal. A lot of posts on BF stating the Trek is overpriced, but many people seem to be able to find decent bargains, plus they've got a good financing program for those without the cash.
Old 06-14-09, 01:22 PM
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Too Many Toys
Wow, thx for all the helpful & constructive comments! On advice of some of the poster's (sp?) I actually RODE some bikes.

And I've decided that I'm going to do a Specialized Roubaix Compact. It just fit & felt better then the Trek Madone 4.5. Both nice bikes & I think I would have been plenty happy with the Madone, but glad I took advice given here & test rode some stuff.
Do you mean a Roubaix Comp or a compact crank?

I ended up buying an 07 Roubaix comp 18months ago and really enjoy it, it's been a great frame and is all very upgradeable if/when the need arises. I was testing out a Trek 5200 and a CAAD8 before hand, and the Roubaix just fit me like a glove - it wasn't even on my radar until I swung my leg over the saddle.
Old 06-14-09, 07:14 PM
Cardiac Case

Bikes: Trek, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lynskey

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
1. buy bike
2. don't listen to us.
Word.

Far too many self-proclaimed holier-than-thou types (you know - the carbon wheels are only for us racer goofballs) dictating how you can enjoy your hobby.

Ignore BF.

Ride what you want.