Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gugificazione Raleigh Super Tourer build thread

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Gugificazione Raleigh Super Tourer build thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-18, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Jan Heine mentions Grand Bois hubs in his most recent blog post. He's not selling them any longer. Quality and bearing problems.
Old 01-27-18, 10:47 AM

Bikes: I hate bikes!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Jan Heine mentions Grand Bois hubs in his most recent blog post. He's not selling them any longer. Quality and bearing problems.
I did not see that...which post?
Old 01-27-18, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Hello fender 1

Sorry I have no html chops to make sure you see this. Hope you read the thread. It would be his current Off The Beaten Path post, first comment.
Old 01-27-18, 12:11 PM

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
Unfortunately, small snippets from Jan Heine are the only opinions I can find about the hubs. When the time comes, I plan to just contact the folks at Grand Bois (they're great) and ask about what they've done to address early design problems.

The issue that @gugie mentioned regarding aluminum axle bodies would be a top reason not buy one. However, they may have been listening to people's feedback and made the switch to steel.

Sorry for derailing the OP's thread - at the end of the day, though, us nerds are always looking for modern hubs with vintage style, especially when going through the trouble of cold-setting a rear on triangle a sweet, sweet Raleigh Super Tourer!
Old 01-27-18, 01:58 PM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,571 Times in 1,579 Posts
Here's the linky: https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...-new-products/

As long as the cartridge bearings can be replaced, I probably wouldn't fret too much. JH made this comment when Compass first started stocking them:

The bearings are pressed into the shell. I haven’t had to replace any yet… The dust shields come off with standard cone wrenches, the bearings come out by tapping the axle, and you’ll need a simple ring made from aluminum to press the bearings in.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 01-27-18 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-28-18, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4243 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,811 Posts
Originally Posted by fender1
I did not see that...which post?
in the quotes to: https://janheine.wordpress.com/2018/...-new-products/

10 Responses to Back in Stock and New Products
  1. DaveS says:
    January 23, 2018 at 7:41 amIs there plans to get additional stock of the SKF bottom brackets?
    There was also a classic style rear hub. Is that going to be re-stocked?

Old 01-28-18, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
So is it just the stock bearings that are no good or some other design flaw that causes them to wear too fast?

Sorry to distract from such a great build thread!
Old 01-28-18, 08:05 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1493 Post(s)
Liked 1,099 Times in 644 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
So is it just the stock bearings that are no good or some other design flaw that causes them to wear too fast?

Sorry to distract from such a great build thread!
Consider directing questions to the person most likely to have the answer.

https://squareup.com/store/sd-bicycle-garage
Old 06-10-18, 01:58 PM

Bikes: 650B'd '74 Raleigh Super Tourer and '83 Trek 620, '22 Gorilla Monsoon

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts
@stahlrahmen, did this frame get re-chromed and painted? Curious to hear how it turned out.
Old 06-19-18, 11:24 PM
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I've got '74 Super Tourer that I'm going to rebuild myself - and I'd like to put a front rack on it - more along the lines of something like Surly's 24 Pack Rack - is this doable?
Old 11-07-18, 03:55 AM

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Voyageur

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all, sorry for my long absence. Life has been chaotic the last year. Anyhow, things moved VERY slowly with this bike in the end. After @gugie shipped me the bike it sat with the painter for nearly 10 months! Typical business practice here in Berlin unfortunately. Nevertheless, aside from the long timeframe, the painter/chromer did a fantastic job. I finally got time to build up the bike and today took it out for a prototype run. I still need t make some minor adjustments, finish the wiring and wrap the bars but otherwise it rides very nice. Here's a quick shot. As you can see, I went a tiny bit overboard with @gugie. I'll add more (better) photos once I finalize the build but just wanted to check back in after nearly a year of radio silence.

Old 11-07-18, 04:09 AM
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1956 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 1,680 Posts
Originally Posted by stahlrahmen
Hi all, sorry for my long absence. Life has been chaotic the last year. Anyhow, things moved VERY slowly with this bike in the end. After @gugie shipped me the bike it sat with the painter for nearly 10 months! Typical business practice here in Berlin unfortunately. Nevertheless, aside from the long timeframe, the painter/chromer did a fantastic job. I finally got time to build up the bike and today took it out for a prototype run. I still need t make some minor adjustments, finish the wiring and wrap the bars but otherwise it rides very nice. Here's a quick shot. As you can see, I went a tiny bit overboard with @gugie. I'll add more (better) photos once I finalize the build but just wanted to check back in after nearly a year of radio silence.

Looks amazing
Old 11-07-18, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4243 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,811 Posts
I love the lug detail
Old 11-07-18, 10:59 AM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
Liked 2,841 Times in 1,548 Posts

sehr schön

Old 11-07-18, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 66 Posts
Wow - that is a beautiful bike!
Old 11-07-18, 12:39 PM

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 1,440 Posts

That's fantastic! I wouldn't say you went overboard at all. Everything looks tidy and useful. I love the paint choices and the chrome lugs. Beautiful!
Old 11-07-18, 01:50 PM

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
That looks stunning. I'm very much looking forward to more pictures.

The small rear rack and front rack with detachable lowriders seems to me to be an very good layout for weekend or overnighter camping trips. The tent can get strapped onto the back. Clothes, food and stove in the front. Modern camping stuff packs small; that's plenty of space.
Old 11-07-18, 01:54 PM

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Ausgezeichnet!
Old 11-07-18, 02:40 PM

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 3,666 Times in 1,251 Posts
Stunning!

Love the chromed lugs and box lining!
Old 11-07-18, 04:22 PM
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,026 Times in 989 Posts
Absolutely beautiful bike! Not overboard one bit--100% on point. That blue with all the chrome and polished components simply glows. And that fender line!
Old 11-07-18, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Instant classic. Paint job is tops.
Old 11-08-18, 04:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. I'm very happy with the outcome. Many thanks to @gugie for putting up with me and doing all the hard work. Once I get the bike finished I'll add some photos here and also the build list for those who are interested. It's a bit of a frankenbike but I think all the parts came together quite well. I'm on the hunt for better brake levers though. These newer Dia-Compe's really stick out too far. Something like the older Dia-Compe 300 BRS or similar would work better I think as they are slightly more compact and the lever swoops inward more allowing for fairly high placement without looking like bullhorns sticking off the front. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know!
Old 11-08-18, 08:09 AM

Bikes: '77 Centurion "Pro Tour"; '67 Carlton "The Flyer"; 1984 Ross MTB (stored at parents' house)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 61 Posts
I've never tried them, but the TRP brake levers appear to sweep back a bit more, though the look may not be exactly right for what you had in mind. They may look silly without ergo bends in the bars.

I really like the Cane Creek SCR-5 levers, but I'm looking at mine, with a relatively high placement on the bars, with the bar top transitioning into the flat of the hood, and I think that they won't appear so much different in the way you suggest. I think that there are some Tektro models with smaller extensions for smaller hands, but I haven't tried them, yet. I have small hands, so I'm curious how well they work.
Old 11-08-18, 10:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not bad, and probably rather practical with the shape but I fear they are a bit "bumpy" looking for my taste. I don't mind the Shimano ones since it creates a clean transition from the ramps. Just not sure which model these would be.

Old 11-08-18, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I like Dia Compe AGC levers a lot. I can’t tell what bars you have but I am using the AGC levers with Noodles which have a flat behind the hoods, and I find them very comfortable.
Your bike looks fantastic and built for a lifetime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.