Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Done With eBay

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Done With eBay

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-22, 12:56 PM
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1790 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 934 Posts
I once sold an Enve 7.8/Powertap disc wheelset on eBay. It was used for a handful of century rides & you could still see the cross-hatching on the rotor from original manufacture. Not even a mark on the free-hub body. I sold the item as NEW & in the description I disclosed that the had indeed been on a few training rides. After the sale I securely boxed the wheelset with a copious amount of packing material, protection, foam, owners manual, everything, a nice note reiterating the history in the listing description, a thank you. I even included a free OEM proprietary replacement rotor because I had no use for it & felt it the right thing to do.

The buyer couldn't even be bothered with feedback. eBay held the few thousand dollars for a full 30 days & the fees were several hundred dollars. Outrageous...30 days? No sliding fee scale based on final price?

---------------------------------

I once bought a Cervelo from England. At best it was a prior year mis-represented as a 2016 RCA. It was way too heavy, & dripping with clear coat over the wrong color red & a poorly repaired not Cervelo fork. I opened a dispute. The seller protested. I got my money back, but the cost was $700 in shipping for which I was never reimbursed.

FWIW: If you're mad, DHL can accept a drop off on Friday morning in Seattle & have it signed for in London by 8am Monday morning.

---------------------------

2x during COVID I purchased a thing only to have the seller cancel because they did not have the item they listed & falsely claim I requested to cancel.
At last check the Ritchey pedals from Italy & a Darimo seatpost clamp from South Korea are still for sale by the dis-reputable sellers. Waiting for a bidding war? I dunno...

-----------------------------

eBay can suck it.
Old 07-27-22, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Recycled Cycler
I will NEVER sell something again on eBay.

I'm a frequent eBay buyer, but have not sold anything in several years. They have changed how they pay you and their fees are now ridiculous.

Selling fee now = 12%. And for that 12% they hold your payout for several days. With previous method I got my PayPal payment immediately.

AND THEY CHARGE THE 12% ON SHIPPING, too. I know this is because eBay could not police their site themselves and stop listings of $1 with $1,000 shipping that were attempts to avoid final value fees. But geez I'm a retired IT guy me and some of my developer friends could have easily created a set of code to automatically find those and delete them. But of course that would not allow eBay to collect additional fees.

The 2+ day delay also allows them to accrue tremendous amounts of "float" interest on funds they temporarily hold for those 2+ days. It's worth $$$millions; banks live on float.

And on using eBay shipping: I sold a bike and wanted to get estimated costs using eBay shipping. I entered info and instead of giving me price and allowing me to decide to purchase, it automatically created a shipping label and tracking. Now I have to contact seller and tell them to ignore the tracking; I'll enter tracking in a few days once LBS boxes and BikeFlights picks up.

I'll continue to buy items on eBay, but less than previously. I'll never sell anything there again. I'll use Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist. For musical instruments I already moved to Reverb. The world is ready for a better mousetrap in this niche for sure.
it's been this way for sometime now. That's why a lot of the time I message people and try to get them to do a deal off ebay but via Paypal Invoice so there is some protection, but the protection isn't so one sided to the buyer and the seller is ***** on fees