Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I set my rear wheel on fire

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

I set my rear wheel on fire

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-08, 01:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's see here, the Moto still has it because the damn thing still looks new and I don't want to take it off, the folder's just crumbled over time and removed itself, the one on the bike I use for pulling the BoB trailer came cracked so I finished the job and removed it with a utility knife, the trike doesn't need one since the chain is nowhere near the wheels and the Footbike doesn't even have a chain.

And I think the old beater has half of one.
Old 09-28-08, 02:08 PM
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
But the pros don't have them!
Old 09-28-08, 02:31 PM
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wino Ryder
But seriously, where does this "dork disc" hatred come from??...its not bothering anyone, and its designed to help you in the first place...to keep your damn chain from ripping out your spokes!!
I figure the reason it's looked down on is that it is only needed by people who don't take good care of their bikes. After all, if one has their rear derailleur adjusted properly, it won't be able to throw the chain off towards the spokes. Therefore "dork discs" are synonymous with newbies or people who can't do bike maintenance.
Old 09-28-08, 02:45 PM
Sarcastic Bastid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Proud to be a dork! The Schwinn ones were coveted by all my buddies growing up! The chrome, the chrome!
I never liked the plastic ones, they get yellow after a while...

Old 09-28-08, 03:15 PM

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
I figure the reason it's looked down on is that it is only needed by people who don't take good care of their bikes. After all, if one has their rear derailleur adjusted properly, it won't be able to throw the chain off towards the spokes. Therefore "dork discs" are synonymous with newbies or people who can't do bike maintenance.
..... or folks that have sticks fly up and get caught in the chain or have them go out of adjustment due to a crash or folks that change wheels a fair amount or a host of other factors.

I think I take pretty darned good care of my bikes. But I don't check the limit screws unless I'm working on the derraileur. Yet I've had the chain fly off the inside a few times on my mountain bikes. Most of them there was a dork disc to catch it and it was no big deal to put it back on. Another time on a nice vintage road bike I had there was no disc and it ate all the inside spokes when it happened on a climb. Total wheel collapse in the blink of an eye.

I'm proud to fly my dork discs in defiance of what any self appointed pundits claim. It's super cheap insurance against long walks back to the truck or home, getting hurt and the cost of new spokes.
Old 09-28-08, 04:04 PM

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I had a tire that was tough to get off. I used 10 lbs. of C4. The tire is off now, but are the bearings OK?
So far I found most of the parts.
Old 09-28-08, 05:20 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Wino Ryder
Thats right. You gotta be a dork to wanna to take it off.

But seriously, where does this "dork disc" hatred come from??... I mean its not just here on this thread either, but everywhere on the forums. Its almost like the spanish inquisition to stamp out and burn at the stake every spoke protector that was ever made. For the life of me I cant understand that (really).

In almost every thread, in all the forums, where someone wants to show off their new bike, some self knowlegable, but misguided soul (without fail) will come out and say "Yeah nice bike, but you might want to get rid of that dork disc."........WTF for??.......Case in point is the OP, who was willing to burn down his whole house and everybody in it just to rid the earth of the demon spoke protector on his bike.

"For Cristsakes......Leave the damn thing alone!!".........its not bothering anyone, and its designed to help you in the first place.......to keep your damn chain from ripping out your spokes!!

Oh, it dont stop there either. This same "spanish inquisition", or more correctly "OCP inquisition" is also responsible for the witch hunt against kick stands and bike reflectors.
Finally, some common sense about the forlorn dork disc. My new OCR-C has a dork disk, a nice small one, and its staying. Those zero light wheels are worth protecting. If it wasn't for the dork disc my son would have totaled the Mavic 117 on my MTB when he had a wreck. The total damage was, one destroyed dork disc.
Old 09-28-08, 06:49 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 2manybikes
I had a tire that was tough to get off. I used 10 lbs. of C4. The tire is off now, but are the bearings OK?
So far I found most of the parts.
That was extremely foolish. 1-1/2 pounds would have done the job and the parts would have been easier to find. The bearings probably need to be replaced anyway.
Old 09-28-08, 07:11 PM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
reflectors are one thing, but kickstands are pretty useless.

I've never had my chain go off into my spokes, although I've seen plenty of bikes where that has happened. I guess it comes from paying attention to my rear dérailleur and not letting it get bent. And there is nothing worse than a bike where the chain is stuck on the dork disk.
Old 09-28-08, 07:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the kickstands on my bikes hold them up when they're not being ridden, that hardly seems useless to me.

Not everyone worries obsessively about the weight of their bike, I'd rather put that energy into enjoying the ride.
Old 09-28-08, 07:42 PM
Sarcastic Bastid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Marrock
Well, the kickstands on my bikes hold them up when they're not being ridden, that hardly seems useless to me.

Not everyone worries obsessively about the weight of their bike, I'd rather put that energy into enjoying the ride.
+1 absolutely! I think it's pretty obvious if you see my bikes...
Old 09-28-08, 08:04 PM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
Finally, some common sense about the forlorn dork disc. My new OCR-C has a dork disk, a nice small one, and its staying. Those zero light wheels are worth protecting. If it wasn't for the dork disc my son would have totaled the Mavic 117 on my MTB when he had a wreck. The total damage was, one destroyed dork disc.

Actually my post was meant as a bit 'tongue-in-cheek' but with a point. Sure most of us know how to adjust derailleur limiter screws to keep from over shifting off the largest cog, but what about the people who dont??...Should they suffer from the over zealous antics of whats supposed to be concieved as "cool" when it overrides a proven safety device the manufacturers think is necessary??

What about some dear old lady down the street, who upon the advice of some jerk, lets him remove her 'dork disc' because its not cool. Two weeks later this same sweet lady wants to ride her bike around the neighborhood but her derailluer is out of adjustment. She unknowingly overshifts into a lower gear and "rrriiipp" her spokes are ripped out and it causes her to crash. She's hurt and possibly could die.

Man I shudder to think, all because some moron learned on BikeForums that its not cool to have a spoke protector on a bike, and is therefore going to preach such idiosy to less mechanically inclined individuals who dont know any better. They are the ones that suffer such wisdom.

You have to see a bigger picture.

~thanks 'roccobike', I feel much better now.
Old 09-28-08, 09:12 PM

I've altered my sig line to express my love of dork discs......
Old 09-28-08, 09:15 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine
Oh man, that's great!

Replace the spokes, take the hub apart and clean and grease it, and get the dirt and melted plastic and twigs off it, and it should be fine.
I'm thinking the same way
Old 09-28-08, 09:36 PM
"Purgatory Central"

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BCRider
I've altered my sig line to express my love of dork discs......

Yeah, for real. I'm even thinking about installing a big one on my Tommasini and riding to the LBS next saturday to mingle with the fast guys.
Old 09-28-08, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine
Oh man, that's great!

Replace the spokes, take the hub apart and clean and grease it, and get the dirt and melted plastic and twigs off it, and it should be fine.
Except you have now turned a free wheel in to a $50 wheel?
Old 09-28-08, 10:09 PM

Bikes: 06 KHS Urban-x, 07 KHS Flite 300, 08 Cannondale Capo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it's kind of an ideological thing with the pie plates and the kickstands - not to have anything not strictly necessary attached.

less is moar?
minimalism?
pare it down?

Personally I would feel silly with a kickstand on my road bike. I mean, all that effort turning it into a fast machine and then stick something on it to help it stand still?
Old 09-28-08, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Eggywootah
....Personally I would feel silly with a kickstand on my road bike. I mean, all that effort turning it into a fast machine and then stick something on it to help it stand still?
On a basic level I totally agree. However there's lots of bikes out there that look better standing still that just beg for kickstands.....

.... where's the "evilgrin" smilie....
Old 09-29-08, 05:12 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
.....deep breath..............deep breath.
Old 09-29-08, 06:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggywootah
I mean, all that effort turning it into a fast machine and then stick something on it to help it stand still?
If you're riding 24/7, you have a point.
Old 09-29-08, 08:09 AM
STFD

Bikes: '80 Windsor Carrera Sport, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1, '10 Giant Escape 2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Save the innocent dork disks! They never did anyone any harm!

We should start an advocacy group. What should it be called? Hmmm...

Society for the Prevention of Violence to Dork Disk
Society for the Preservation of Dork Disks
Dork Disk Preservation Society

Save Our Dork Disks from Oblivious Fire Fiends .... SODDOFF

That's it! Brilliant!

Last edited by mcgreivey; 09-29-08 at 08:12 AM. Reason: the usual typos; added slightly annoying emphasis. OK, the hole thing could be annoying.
Old 09-29-08, 08:12 AM
You Know!? For Kids!

Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts
I like to listen to music while I wrench. I try to match the tune to the task, as I think it makes the time pass faster. I would have had this blasting as I torched my spoke protector.

Old 09-29-08, 09:56 AM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I remembered why I read bikeforums.

(The information, of course.)
Old 09-29-08, 10:10 AM
Desert Rat

Bikes: GT Timberline (1990?), Trek 1100 (199?), Giant OCR3 (2007)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you don't like my spoke protector, reflectors or kickstand ignore them.
Old 09-29-08, 10:14 AM
Domestic Domestique

Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Makeitso
If you don't like my spoke protector, reflectors or kickstand ignore them.
I hate them so much, I'm gonna torch them right off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.