Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search
Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 09:25 AM
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
The region where I live got from 3-16 inches of rain since yesterday, thankfully my area was on the low end. It's been a few weeks since we've had a good rain, so much of it was soaked up before any ran off. I did 46 minutes at recovery pace with some fast pedal intervals. Even though I rode in continual mist and light rain, my kit was less wet than from a high-sweat ride. My shoes and socks got soaked in spite of the shoe covers, but they've been wetter. Lots of dead snakes on the road.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-21-13, 04:03 PM
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Riding enough to keep from ballooning up but major goal is to lose weight during the off season. Ha!

Maybe I should have put this in the other thread.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 09-21-13, 04:04 PM

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
@revchuck, hope that your TTs were above water.

Put your results in the Senior Games thread.
Old 09-21-13, 05:01 PM
OMC

Originally Posted by Cleave
@revchuck, hope that your TTs were above water.

Put your results in the Senior Games thread.
They're tomorrow, and the forecast is down to 30% chance of showers vice 80% chance of thunderstorms. The course is out-and-back; the way out is straight into the wind. Gonna be fun once I hit the turnaround.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-23-13, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Skinny climber enduro adding a little wrinkle to the training plan.

Old 09-23-13, 06:22 PM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
I went running Saturday. 3 miles.

I still can't walk.
Old 09-23-13, 06:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I've done two days of a 10-week all-over bodyweight strength plan. No problem finishing the workouts, but on the third day I was so sore, it was hard to brush my teeth. My upper body strength really has gone to hell. All the more reason to keep at it, I guess.
Old 09-23-13, 06:48 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ha. As it becomes the "I thought this was supposed to be fun" thread.
Old 09-23-13, 07:03 PM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My core/resistance work begins very soon. I'm not looking forwards to the initial startup.
Old 09-24-13, 09:10 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1341 Post(s)
Liked 2,483 Times in 1,458 Posts
Track workout this PM at Velo Sports Center. Saw and chatted with VanceMac.
Old 09-25-13, 11:28 AM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Swam yesterday. Need to do about 20 full laps in the pool to equal the tri swim distance. Between the run, the swim, and 5 hours doing construction work in my garage I feel old. Figure I'll ride today after another carpentry stint, knock off Thursday, then do an opener for the GMR hillclimb on Saturday. Hey, I think I'm training again...

Mulling next year. Thinking about focusing more on my sprinting and 1-5 minute stuff next season. I've traded 200-300w on my sprint for the longer duration power and now that I'm at the "old" end of the 50-54 and I'm doing mostly crits and track, might be a good idea. Not going to win any of the big TT's or climbing races at this point.
Old 09-25-13, 11:50 AM
OMC

Spoke with my coach this morning. I'm going to end up with ~15 hours this week and 15-20 hours next week, followed by a recovery week. Since I've got the time right now, I'm going to build the biggest base possible. It'll be interesting to see exactly what the training schedule will look like.

Demain, on roule!
Old 09-25-13, 03:59 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Swam yesterday. Need to do about 20 full laps in the pool to equal the tri swim distance.
A ripple in the Force, I sense.
Old 09-25-13, 06:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mulling next year. Thinking about focusing more on my sprinting and 1-5 minute stuff next season. I've traded 200-300w on my sprint for the longer duration power
What are you, the dentist in Marathon Man? Torture (running and swimming) then sweet relief (talk of sprint and track). Is it safe?!?
Old 09-25-13, 08:36 PM
Version 7.0

Swam yesterday. Need to do about 20 full laps in the pool to equal the tri swim distance. Between the run, the swim, and 5 hours doing construction work in my garage I feel old. Figure I'll ride today after another carpentry stint, knock off Thursday, then do an opener for the GMR hillclimb on Saturday. Hey, I think I'm training again...

Mulling next year. Thinking about focusing more on my sprinting and 1-5 minute stuff next season. I've traded 200-300w on my sprint for the longer duration power and now that I'm at the "old" end of the 50-54 and I'm doing mostly crits and track, might be a good idea. Not going to win any of the big TT's or climbing races at this point.

Originally Posted by AzTallRider
A ripple in the Force, I sense.
Originally Posted by VanceMac
What are you, the dentist in Marathon Man? Torture (running and swimming) then sweet relief (talk of sprint and track). Is it safe?!?
Do you guys think there is an immunization to this stuff or something like a tetanus shot. I mean I touched him on Monday and I do not want to come down with the same stuff. Gamma Goblulin? Is it too late and should I be quarantined?

Last edited by Hermes; 09-25-13 at 08:59 PM.
Old 09-25-13, 08:38 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are we allowed to speak of swimming and running in this racing and training thread?
Old 09-25-13, 08:45 PM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
Are we allowed to speak of swimming and running in this racing and training thread?
I do not think so. I wonder if he is going to rip the sleeves off his jerseys?
Old 09-25-13, 08:58 PM
Version 7.0

MEA and I rode the Santiago Canyon TT course today. It is a wonderful course that starts with a climb that finishes in 11.2 miles. There is no turnaround so you have to ride back to the car. It was very windy today and we had a cross tailwind on the way out and a cross headwind on the way back. It was a gorgeous day in SoCal with temps in the mid 70s.
Old 09-25-13, 09:36 PM

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
MEA and I rode the Santiago Canyon TT course today. It is a wonderful course that starts with a climb that finishes in 11.2 miles. There is no turnaround so you have to ride back to the car. It was very windy today and we had a cross tailwind on the way out and a cross headwind on the way back. It was a gorgeous day in SoCal with temps in the mid 70s.
Like.
Old 09-25-13, 09:40 PM

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Hi, I am at a big work conference (500+ attendees) this week. I got invited to attend as a facilitator so part of my time here is doing work. Since Sunday, I have done zero exercise. I should be well rested for my race on Saturday (ref. Hermes post in the misc race report thread).
Old 09-25-13, 11:06 PM
I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hermes
I wonder if he is going to rip the sleeves off his jerseys?
Probably just the side without the stripes.
Old 09-26-13, 06:44 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We did one of my evenings into night group rides last night. The weather was perfect with clear skies and temps in the 60's with little to no wind. The group had nine strong riders that included 4 guys who medaled at the NSG with one of them being a Tri guy. Because I set up the rides, I also can plot the route and distance. I threw a twist into last night's 33 mile ride; I made everyone pick one gear to ride in. I suggested a 70" gear and used my winter fixie with a free hub so I could coast down the hills with the group who were all on road bikes, except for the Tri guy who had is TT machine and seemed to be dressed in winter gear. I did grant one medical exemption to one guy who has knee surgery scheduled and two guys started cheating once it got dark.

The route started out with the first 1/3rd being hilly, then we headed West onto the Ohio flatlands for the last 20 miles ending back at the brewpub starting point. Most of the guys did well except for the Tri guy who had trouble on the hills and later on the flatlands where we were tooling along around 22mph. The constant cadence of 103-110 took most of the guys out of their comfort zone. It was a fun ride and the guys might want to do it again. I hope so since my winter fixed gear season is soon to come. We had to slow up and soft pedal several times for the Tri guy to catch back with the group then let him drop with about 5 miles to go. With a few miles left I went back and pulled him to the finish. Dinner and craft brews capped off a great evening with my riding buddies.
Old 09-26-13, 06:45 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AzTallRider
Probably just the side without the stripes.
Old 09-26-13, 08:55 AM
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
You guys.

I've been totally off the radar for the last week. I spent four days in San Francisco, the Tall Russian had meetings with contractors about renovating his house up there. It turns out it's VERY close to Ex's childhood home, just a stone's throw. Small world!

I did a lot of riding, but it was from stop light to stop light, stop sign to stop sign. I had fun waiting for Freds to catch up to me and then I blow past them when they got fifty or so yards in front of me. Is that mean, or what?

I climbed Mount Tamalpias, round tripping from San Francisco, on Sunday. The Tall Russian has really slowed down in the past year (and I'm faster), so I had to stop often to wait on him. That really slowed me down, but even so, I did okay on that much harder than I expected climb (it's way harder than Hamilton).

Sunday I go to Texas for a ten day school for work. I won't have a bike, so I'm going to (heaven forbid) RUN while I'm there to maintain my aerobic fitness. I don't want to think about how slow I'll be when I get home! I do start structure again on November 1st.

Like Ex, I've been thinking about next year. I want to cat up to 3 so I can race more Masters races. I'll probably need the whole season to get enough points to do that. I do my best in crits, so I'll target more of them instead of road races, and I'll contest more ITT's. I might try to hit more races in a series, too. Senior events are square in the middle of my radar, points or not, and any USAC women's race that will allow a W4 to race 35+ (better yet, 60+) I'll try to get to. Most of all, next year, I HOPE, will be a season of racing, not survival.
Old 09-26-13, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sara, check the rules, I don't think there are any upgrade points available for TTs.

I'll be in Marin for work next week, and I'm going to do Levi's Gran Fondo while I'm there. Can't wait! I'll try to talk my sister into doing Mt Tam the other day, but I think she'll be tired, she's been training for a marathon and not riding that much.

I've not been training all month, with the floods and a trip to VT to visit the M.I.L. I gained 4 pounds. Diet started yesterday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.