Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Breakfast ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Breakfast ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-12, 04:47 PM
Rides with Scissors

Bikes: 2011 Trek Madone 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm never one for the country boy hardy breakfast before a ride. Usually about 60 to 45 minute before; a scrambled egg; whole wheat toast with local honey, half a banana and cup of coffee.
Old 01-18-12, 05:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow there or so many diffrent advise on this. Im will start with some light and see how it goes. I'm not ridding hard but I do have my momments where if I'm ridding grout I try to hang in there.

Guys thanks for all the advise.
Old 01-18-12, 06:46 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL3, Lynskey Cooper CX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also don't eat before my morning ride. If I know that I'm doing over an hour I'll mix up some powdered sports drank to get my calories, but otherwise I have breakfast when done. To do otherwise will likely result in pukeage. Longer weekend rides are different as I can afford to eat and then mill about the house for an hour or two before getting on the bike.

Last edited by MegaTom; 01-18-12 at 07:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-18-12, 06:56 PM
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 367 Posts
Skipping breakfast is often advocated as a method for training your body to burn fat.

Then theres this:
"Training is all about putting the body under stress, not going faster,” Dr Stannard says. “So by starting out with less fuel, you will reach the point where you really begin to stress the body quicker. This means you will spend longer under stress and ultimately the training will be more beneficial.

However, eating before an actual race – as opposed to training for one – remains important, says Dr Stannard, the head of the University's new School of Sport and Exercise.”

https://www.massey.ac.nz/massey/about...A-70FEDF55DAC9
Old 01-18-12, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8395 Post(s)
Liked 9,307 Times in 4,566 Posts
[QUOTE=flex1493;13736955]Wow there or so many diffrent advise on this. Im will start with some light and see how it goes. I'm not ridding hard but I do have my momments where if I'm ridding grout I try to hang in there. QUOTE]

That's what you have to do, try things and find out what works for you. Your body can store enough for a couple hours but you need to keep eating during longer rides especially when you're working hard and it's cold.

I have cereal and a banana before a long ride and eat small amounts during the ride, sometimes larger amounts. When touring, I can eat huge amounts of just about anything all day.
Old 01-18-12, 08:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When my wife starting riding, I told her that she should ask lots of folks what they eat to gather ideas. I warned her that half of them eat half a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter. Except that they will all say it as "a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, actually half a bagel". Sure enough, half the folks eat exactly that, and say it exactly that way. I have a bottled Frappucino and either cinnamon toast, a bag of PowerBar Bites, or 1-2 Stinger Waffles. My wife has oatmeal with milk.
Old 01-18-12, 08:55 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2347 Post(s)
Liked 5,240 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
This is the same for any exercise or sporting activity.

If you go hard, you can't eat anything solid and significant for 2-3 hours prior. You can do a banana and a gel or something. You really should know this or you've never tried it and puked.

If you're on a leisurely pace it's different. I can eat a huge breakfast and still ride 10 mph with my dad on a MUP.
Huh??? On my long weekend rides I have a huge bowl of steel cut oats with flax seed, chopped apple, cinnamon, wheat germ, raisins, pecan bits, and a touch of honey. I eat as much of it as I can and once finished put on my gear and head out. Can ride anywhere from 40-70 miles right after eating this with an average cadence in the 90s and most of the time spent in HR zone 4. Can even put in a 12 mile climb at an average grade of 8 % and with the HR mainly in zone 5 ( I suck at climbing) and yet have no ill-effect from the heavy meal. If I do these rides without the large meal I will be "flat" the whole ride and my time will suffer. So my vote is emphatically for a good breakfast prior to a hard ride.
Old 01-18-12, 09:09 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 208 Posts
For my typical one hour, 20 mile rides that start at 6:30 a.m., I force down a half bowl of cereal and a half cup of coffee about a half hour prior.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 01-18-12, 09:26 PM

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
On early morning rides if I am planning on doing 25 +, I will eat something like oatmeal with some fruit. Anything shorter I will just eat a gel.
Old 01-18-12, 09:57 PM
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I try not to eat anything spicy, or greasy before I ride. It always seems to come back to haunt me. My typical breakfast before a 40~ mile ride is a couple of boiled or poached eggs with grits, a bagel with some cream cheese, a bit of fruit, and some oj.
On longer rides I like to try and find places that carry banannas or some kind of fruit and I also carry a cashew bar or whatnot with.
Old 01-18-12, 10:08 PM

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
Can even put in a 12 mile climb at an average grade of 8 % and with the HR mainly in zone 5
Assuming you can average 12mph up an 8% grade, that's an hour climb in zone 5. Didn't happen.

OP, for what it's worth, I had a bowl of oatmeal and a banana before today's ride of 90 miles and 8400 ft of climbing with 4 ClifBars during the ride.
Old 01-18-12, 10:34 PM
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i usually have cereal or a power bar before i ride. i had 4 powerbars and 3 refills of water for today's 70+ mile ride.
Old 01-18-12, 10:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pre-ride: Oatmeal, toast, and if it's cold out a cup of tea/coffee to warm me up.
Post ride: Anything that's in my fridge and tickles my fancy.
Old 01-18-12, 11:08 PM

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Originally Posted by nathan.johnson
Assuming you can average 12mph up an 8% grade, that's an hour climb in zone 5. Didn't happen.

OP, for what it's worth, I had a bowl of oatmeal and a banana before today's ride of 90 miles and 8400 ft of climbing with 4 ClifBars during the ride.
LOL, I wish I could maintain 12 mph up Trappers loop! That said, it does happen routinely for me, just at around 6 -7 mph. Oh and just looking at my recorded stats from the last trip you are right. 19 mins and 51 secs of the ride were in zone 5. The rest in zone 4. I just always have an impression that I am in a higher zone because I suck at climbing and it always seems like my HR is up and busting out of my chest! For me that actually is pretty good as it's the first time I took the Lemond with it's standard double up the road vs my Madone with the compact double I've used for all the other rides. Oh, and you can come join me anytime you'd like if you to see if it's really happening, LOL!! Just not this week. We've got about 8 inches of snow so far today and it is still coming. No way I'm taking a road bike up that road anytime soon.
Old 01-19-12, 04:57 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
EAT MAN!

For my weight i eat
2 slices of whole grain bread
1 egg
2 lean hams
A bit of butter
Water
Milk
Fruit

I cant imagine riding without fuel! You'd bite the dust within the hour without breakfast!!
Were all different but be carefull with your fuel tank!

Last edited by echotraveler; 01-19-12 at 05:01 AM.
Old 01-19-12, 05:15 AM

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I also eat breakfast first thing in the am, I am enjoying coffee and a bowl of Specisal K vanilla almond. Yummy. I once read that if you plan on a short ride say under 20 miles if you eat well and are rested your body has plenty of energy first thing inthe morning sans food. I have gone out on rides with out eating and felt fine.
Old 01-19-12, 06:08 AM
STP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's lots of crap advise and good advise here. Good luck differentiating!

Regarding whether you should eat breakfast:

You haven't eating anything for 6-8 hours prior, of course you should eat.
You need to fuel your body. Do some research and figure it out.
If you're really serious, get a nutritionist. Period. If you're not, do whatever you want.
Learn two things from the 41: Nobody is right. Everybody is right.
Old 01-19-12, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Roger De Vlaeminck would eat a rare ribeye steak before races. He won Paris-Roubaix 4 times and got 2nd 4 times.
Go to 14:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4IDCkcnnHg

Last edited by Trucker Dan; 01-19-12 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-19-12, 08:17 AM
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by echotraveler
EAT MAN!

For my weight i eat
2 slices of whole grain bread
1 egg
2 lean hams
A bit of butter
Water
Milk
Fruit

I cant imagine riding without fuel! You'd bite the dust within the hour without breakfast!!
Were all different but be carefull with your fuel tank!
two whole hams.. you have quite the appetite.
Old 01-19-12, 08:25 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColinL
two whole hams.. you have quite the appetite.
Hahahaha i do! Viking breakfast!

2 96% lean slices of turkey ham. Yummy!
Old 01-19-12, 08:37 AM

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AngryScientist
this is poor advice.

your body is a machine that burns fuel to function, and if you're putting serious efforts in, you need to stay fueled. the science of nutrition for cyclists is complex and a long story, but the bottom line is that, when you ride, you burn calories, and if you run out of calories to burn, you're in trouble.

if you're going for a long, hard ride, you better believe you need to eat something before you go, and often times, during the ride.

ever watch the pros race, the TdF for example - those little bags they pick up along the way are stuffed with the nutrition they need to keep going, sometimes sandwiches, energy bars, gels, coca-cola, etc.

experiment with what works for you, the longer and harder you ride, the more obvious the needs and solutions will become.
This.^^^
Food is obviously important and going out for a long ride on an empty stomach is much like trying to mow the lawn with an empty gas tank. That said it would be unwise to stuff yourself before a ride. If I am going out for an early ride of 1.5 hours than I will just bring along a water bottle of OJ and maybe eat a slice of whole wheat bread. This will keep me from crashing with shorter rides. If it is a long ride I will start with coffee and granola with low-fat milk, bring a water bottle of H2O and one of OJ. If over 3-4 hours I will bring a PB and J sandwich as well and eat half at 2 hours and the other half at three hours. I never eat to the point of being full or stuffed so riding in this situation does not occur for me.

Last edited by surgeonstone; 01-19-12 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-19-12, 08:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think this thread points out the obvious fact that everyone is different. It takes a lot of trial and error.

Personally, I can't stand feeling empty. I also don't want to feel bloated either, but I'll take a slight bloat over an empty stomach anyday. It's a balancing act that took me a while to figure out.

My preride/ race:
(2-2.5 hours prior) 1 cup oatmeal cooked with 1 bananna, 1/2 cup blueberries, sugar free maples syrup, and splash of skim milk and a dash of splenda. This is so good that it taste like a desert. I drink 3 egg whites.

(20 minutes prior) 2 powerbars. I have ate as many as 4 powerbars before long rides or races.

(during) Water and cytomax for racing. For long training rides 1 powerbar or 2 granola bars, plus cytomax

(After) 3 Cups of Chex Cereal, 1 bananna, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 strawberries, 25g whey protein, 5g bcaa's

This is only for longer weekend rides or races. When I have a quick 1 hour after work I usually eat 1 powerbar before and have a bottle of cytomax during.

Yeah..... I have an obsession with powerbars. I eat vanilla crisp or peanut butter for they're lower in fiber.
Old 01-19-12, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by rotti
I think this thread points out the obvious fact that everyone is different. It takes a lot of trial and error.

Personally, I can't stand feeling empty. I also don't want to feel bloated either, but I'll take a slight bloat over an empty stomach anyday. It's a balancing act that took me a while to figure out.

My preride/ race:
(2-2.5 hours prior) 1 cup oatmeal cooked with 1 bananna, 1/2 cup blueberries, sugar free maples syrup, and splash of skim milk and a dash of splenda. This is so good that it taste like a desert. I drink 3 egg whites.

(20 minutes prior) 2 powerbars. I have ate as many as 4 powerbars before long rides or races.

(during) Water and cytomax for racing. For long training rides 1 powerbar or 2 granola bars, plus cytomax

(After) 3 Cups of Chex Cereal, 1 bananna, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/2 strawberries, 25g whey protein, 5g bcaa's

This is only for longer weekend rides or races. When I have a quick 1 hour after work I usually eat 1 powerbar before and have a bottle of cytomax during.

Yeah..... I have an obsession with powerbars. I eat vanilla crisp or peanut butter for they're lower in fiber.
I would have to disagree. Everything you have said here is clearly and unmistakably wrong.
Old 01-19-12, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by surgeonstone
I would have to disagree. Everything you have said here is clearly and unmistakably wrong.
?? How can you say that? If it works for him how is it wrong? I eat a huge breakfast right before I start my long rides and then keep the fluids and food going periodically during my rides. I have tried all sorts of food methods and the big breakfast with routine intakes of water and power bar/food every 30 minutes work best for me. I used to do less food when in the loss weight mode but now that I am trying to maintain I find lots of fuel going in gives me the fastest times and leaves me able to knock out another fast long ride the next day.
Old 01-19-12, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by jamesdak
?? How can you say that? If it works for him how is it wrong? I eat a huge breakfast right before I start my long rides and then keep the fluids and food going periodically during my rides. I have tried all sorts of food methods and the big breakfast with routine intakes of water and power bar/food every 30 minutes work best for me. I used to do less food when in the loss weight mode but now that I am trying to maintain I find lots of fuel going in gives me the fastest times and leaves me able to knock out another fast long ride the next day.
I was JK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.