Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

No Helmet -- Nice!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

No Helmet -- Nice!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-18, 07:15 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
only time in the last 20 years I agreed w Wifey for us both to not wear helmets, she crashed twice & fell the 2nd time breaking her wrist. 1st thing the ER doc asked her when inspecting the wrist: "were you wearing a helmet"

she broke her wrist but she was lucky (that she didn't hit her head)

we'll never do that again

oh, and I just watched the surveillance video of actor George Clooney hinting a Mercedes head on, where his helmeted head broke the car's windshield ... that guy is lucky to be alive, walking & talking

Last edited by rumrunn6; 07-11-18 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-11-18, 08:23 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
that's why the mirror goes on sunglasses, more flexible that way
Yeah, I've never tried the take-a-look on glasses. I don't wear eyeglasses, and I only (half the time) remember to wear sunglasses for long trail rides. Besides, my mirror was always falling off the helmet visor, so I strapped it on with tape, so it's pretty permanent.
Old 07-11-18, 08:24 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Archwhorides
So far peeps here “get it”, what fun is that?
I know, right?
Old 07-11-18, 08:29 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by BobbyG
People always talk about that "wind in your hair" feeling, but the laminar airflow over a bald pate is most sublime.
All right, I'm glad I've got that to look forward to!

Riding helmetless makes me feel naked, and like I'm cheating, so in that respect, I guess it's sexy.
Yes, that's a good description.
Old 07-11-18, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I love the people who ride with their helmet attached to their bike. Nice to have it available just in case.
Old 07-11-18, 08:34 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
only time in the last 20 years I agreed w Wifey for us both to not wear helmets, she crashed twice & fell the 2nd time breaking her wrist. 1st thing the ER doc asked her when inspecting the wrist: "were you wearing a helmet"

she broke her wrist but she was lucky (that she didn't hit her head)

we'll never do that again

oh, and I just watched the surveillance video of actor George Clooney hinting a Mercedes head on, where his helmeted head broke the car's windshield ... that guy is lucky to be alive, walking & talking
Wow, is your wife not an experienced cyclist, or was it just a freak coincidence?

Clooney was on a motorcycle, for whatever difference that makes. I don't think I'll ever ride a motorcycle. I considered it for a while as an alternative to sitting in SoCal traffic every day, but I didn't have the energy to first take a comprehensive motorcycling safety course so I could do it right (similar to why I've never gotten a gun). So instead I got into cycling, and bought a house close enough to work to ride every day!
Old 07-11-18, 08:37 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I love the people who ride with their helmet attached to their bike. Nice to have it available just in case.
They've got their priorities straight. Their stem is more worthy of protection than what is between their ears.

Ben
Old 07-11-18, 08:43 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Not really related, but once I was in a MTB race (more like a large event with numbers and timing), and I passed this guy up a hill (doesn't happen often!) who was wearing a backpack with a floor pump strapped to it! I told him as I (slowly) passed him, I hope he gets a flat, so carrying that thing is worth it!
Old 07-11-18, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
I'll share my stupidity. I'm pretty sure a helmet saved my life in a motorcycle wipeout 30 years ago, so I always wear a helmet when biking, except for one time - was going to walk a mile to the gym to workout, but it was about to rain, so I hopped on my mountain bike to save 5 minutes and get there ahead of the rain. Just one mile so I didn't really need the helmet. A few drops started to fall, but the road was still dry, except this was the first rain in 6 months and those few drops combined with 6 months of accumulated oil slick on the road surface. Making a right onto the main street there was a nice open gap in traffic so I sped through the corner to take advantage of it. Next thing I remember there were several people standing around me, helping me up and asking if I was ok. I must have been unconscious for several minutes. Probably 99.9% of the time you can leave the helmet behind and be fine, but it's not possible to predict which ride you really need the helmet.
Old 07-11-18, 08:55 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Well it is possible though to be aware that you're not wearing a helmet, and not do things like "speed through the corner"

I am 100% helmet on mtb trail rides though. My fall rate there is high enough that anything else would be stupid. When mountain biking, I don't just wear a helmet, I very often USE a helmet. Just a few weeks ago I slid out sideways and in the fall whacked my helmet pretty good. Gave it a dent, and it was like 4 years old and getting really gross anyways, so I bought a new helmet and tossed it. My new helmet (that I didn't wear on Monday) still feels fresh and clean every time I put it on.
Old 07-11-18, 08:57 AM

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Some riders (including I) take the helmet off when coming up on a long hard climb on a hot day, I'll put it back on on the downhill side, Tour de France rules allow no helmet at such occasions , no need for a helmet wehen working hard, getting hot and going slow,
Old 07-11-18, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Well it is possible though to be aware that you're not wearing a helmet, and not do things like "speed through the corner".
To clarify, I slowed at the corner, and then started to accelerate when I saw the open gap in traffic. Was not going very fast, but trying to accelerate on an apparently dry but actually very slick surface, I went down very fast and hard, the point being that there can be unknown or unpredictable situations that get you in trouble.
Old 07-11-18, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Eds0123
Some riders (including I) take the helmet off when coming up on a long hard climb on a hot day, I'll put it back on on the downhill side, Tour de France rules allow no helmet at such occasions , no need for a helmet wehen working hard, getting hot and going slow,
I suppose the texting or drunk driver will see you took off your helmet and avoid hitting you.
Old 07-11-18, 09:15 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I have no problem with people who don't wear helmets. It's up to them. I see some people carrying helmets on the bike path, and that makes sense to me, because the risks are lower without motor vehicles. I tell myself I could do that, but I can't bring myself to do it. On the other hand, I often take Citi Bike without a helmet, and I even ride in traffic. Sometimes it's deliberate, such as the times when I know I won't be riding back in the other direction and don't want to carry a helmet. And sometimes it's because I get on Citi Bike unexpectedly. But I generally wear a helmet whenever I ride. I don't take my helmet off on my regular commute because, well, you never know what might happen. I was in a very bad collision long ago, and my helmet saved my life, so I continue to bet that I'll have another, even though it's not likely. It definitely is nice to go helmetless on hot days, I will agree.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-11-18, 09:16 AM
Keepin it Wheel

Bottom line, wearing a helmet is less pleasant than not wearing a helmet (otherwise everybody would wear them all the time and everywhere).

Even alan s's avatar understands that
Old 07-11-18, 09:17 AM
Keepin it Wheel

And I can't believe it took this long for somebody to mention that basically nobody in Amsterdam wears a helmet. Sure it's a completely different context, but that's the point. Different situations have different degrees of usefulness for helmets.
Old 07-11-18, 09:22 AM

I think something that costs less than $100 and can prevent serious brain injury is going to be used at all times. I’ll take it off at the end of a ride on a bike path when cooling down and not going fast, but otherwise it’s on my head. I’ve fallen plenty of times and never hit my head, and have never been in a car accident on my bike, but it only takes one fool to ruin your life.
Old 07-11-18, 09:26 AM

Bottom line, wearing a helmet is less pleasant than not wearing a helmet (otherwise everybody would wear them all the time and everywhere).

Even alan s's avatar understands that
My avatar is safer than yours.
Old 07-11-18, 09:29 AM
Keepin it Wheel

My avatar is safer than yours.
Touche! Although 2 helmetless people on one stationary bike vs a helmetless cartoon on a speeding bike, I'd call it a toss-up
Old 07-11-18, 09:30 AM
Keepin it Wheel

And I can't believe it took this long for somebody to mention that basically nobody in Amsterdam wears a helmet. Sure it's a completely different context, but that's the point. Different situations have different degrees of usefulness for helmets.

A couple of them mention specifically that Holland is an exception, and that Germans wear helmets.
Old 07-11-18, 09:31 AM
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I have no problem with people who don't wear helmets. It's up to them.
I agree. Although I don't like riding with them.

I've had two semi-recent emergency room visits because of bike crashes (no head injury though). Both times the doctors asked "Did your helmet take an impact?" I wondered if there was a reason they didn't ask "Were you wearing a helmet?". In one case my helmet did take a pretty big hit (it cracked) and they did a good head inspection. I didn't get the feeling that they were out to shame or give inferior care to me if I had said I didn't have a helmet on. ER doctors see the results of people doing lots stupider things than riding without a helmet... they need to be non-judgmental to do their job well.
Old 07-11-18, 09:31 AM
Keepin it Wheel

I’ll take it off at the end of a ride on a bike path
?!?! Do you attach it to your bike, or just hold it in your hand?
Old 07-11-18, 09:32 AM

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by as

I suppose the texting or drunk driver will see you took off your helmet and avoid hitting you.
Yes, there are lots of texting and drunk drivers on tour de France stages and on all bike trails.
Old 07-11-18, 09:38 AM

Touche! Although 2 helmetless people on one stationary bike vs a helmetless cartoon on a speeding bike, I'd call it a toss-up
That’s no cartoon. It from Make Way for Ducklings, a classic children’s book, written in an era where helmets were virtually unknown. Plus the crank is on the wrong side, which is humorous.
Old 07-11-18, 09:48 AM
Keepin it Wheel

This is also very interesting, but 5 years old:

I love it how at about 1:05 he's saying "it looks like these people are in a race", talking about people in jeans and button-down shirts riding what I think of as very casual (the way I ride)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.