Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Seized seatpost

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Seized seatpost

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-20, 04:24 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
I would try every non-destructive method available before destroying that post. It is a Miche Supertype. Look it up on the bay. Replacement is not inexpensive.
Yeah I've exhausted the non destructive options, I had used the seat post clamp to clamp a 3ft. breaker bar and tried to turn, but I snapped the clamp bolts ☹️
Old 07-24-20, 07:07 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by hamcereal
Yeah I've exhausted the non destructive options, I had used the seat post clamp to clamp a 3ft. breaker bar and tried to turn, but I snapped the clamp bolts ☹️
Did you try this?

Originally Posted by rydabent
Dont get physical, you will just ruin something. If all else fails, Turn the bike upside down and remove the bottom bracket. Pour a mixture of ATF and acetone down the seat tube and let set over night. That should loosen the seat post.
In fact, I would redact the "if all else fails" part. I would do the solvent / rust-breaker option via the BB shell fairly early on in the process. If you've only done the solvent attempt from the top, try this next.
Old 07-24-20, 09:18 AM
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,382 Times in 7,210 Posts
...if, indeed, your seat post is sized correctly, and it's simply seized due to galvanic corrosion, a lot of the problem occurs in these cases because of the length of the seat post inserted in the seat tube. A 12 or 14 inch length of post inserted fully into a tube without grease or anti-seize gives a significant surface area for bonding. Before I started using the torch/penetrating oil method on these, I worked on a lot of them for people who brought them into the bike co-op here,

We used the giant bench vise there to grab the post, then two guys grab the frame, one twisting it up and down, the other leaning backwards and pulling, to remove them. I once ripped the seat tube lug open on some guy's frame, because the thing started twisting, but it was still bonded by the corrosion inside the lug. I felt bad about that, but it was junk with the stuck post anyway.

This is all by way of saying that you might need to get that ATF or Freeze Off down into a considerable length of tight space before this breaks free. The heating and cooling helps with that. When you get it out, you might want to consider shortening it with a saw and a file or grinder to finish taper the cut end. I pretty much do that routinely now, but I also use anti-seize.
Old 07-24-20, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
. a lot of the problem occurs in these cases because of the length of the seat post inserted in the seat tube.
Another reason to apply the solvent approach via the BB shell as well as from above.