Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A 30 year old Doug Fattic frame/bicycle came back home

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A 30 year old Doug Fattic frame/bicycle came back home

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 07:13 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,296 Times in 1,283 Posts
I agree with the above. At my shop , when I quote tools custom made to cut features in machined parts , most either have enough money in the job or not. Most of the time I am dealing with machinists who have already used my tools or know someone who has, that’s why they want a quote. I don’t usually deal with folks wanting a “good deal” so I’m fortunate in that respect. When Jack , at Franklin Frame, quoted the work to refurbish my bike I said ok. He did exactly what he promised and , although I expected it could go higher once he saw my frame, it did not and I was very happy with the results….and the cost . It was win/win for us. A custom fitted frame from a talented builder is not going to be the same price as one that is not. Add to that a custom paint job and frankly I don’t know how they make much money doing it.
Old 10-25-22, 08:09 PM

Bikes: 72' Masi, 78' Marinoni, 82' Davidson, 83' Davidson, 84' Mercian, 62 Schwinn Debutante

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Thanks for sharing these pictures or this gorgeous bike and providing your personal insights on the art of frame building throughout the thread.
Old 10-25-22, 09:17 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
That paint is astounding for 30 years old (The rest of the work is great too).
Old 10-26-22, 07:20 AM
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 1,916 Times in 656 Posts
There are a lot of expenses in running your own business that subtract from your profits. Utilities, repairs, marketing. And a lot of time has to be spent not building or painting. I have a list of tools for my framebuilding class students if they want to continue. They are organized into 3 categories. Necessary, you will want these sooner rather than later and nice to have if one has the money. It would be pretty hard to equip a shop for only $10,000 and $20,000 would be more realistic.

A serious student will most likely take my class if they want to get into framebuilding. I often gets students that have already taken another someplace else. My training as a teacher, longer classes as well as the chance they had to make transportation frames in Ukraine are the reasons they come. It is a rare student that can make it financially entirely on his/her own. Those that continue usually have other resources like a social security check or some other part time work. The economics of framebuilding for most people just don’t work for sustainability.
Likes For Doug Fattic: