Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

First time commuting to work!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

First time commuting to work!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-11, 07:58 AM
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
Yea, I should chill out a little before changing. Just awkward since I worked only a few hours today. From here on out, I get to work early enough anyway so I think I wil park the bike upstairs across from my kitchen. rest in my kitchen and then change.

My knees hurt today for sure. I think I need to raise the saddle up.
Props to you for bringing your bike inside!! I never leave/park my bike outside. I put mine in a storeroom a couple yards from my cube. Another thing too. I always keep a COUPLE changes of clothes at work. That means, I can dress for the weather and still have work clothes available. You will learn from experience in dealing with the traffic. It took me a couple weeks to find out when I need to take a full lane or ride on the side of the road..

BTW, for the knees, you could include some gym workouts, I am sure that will help..
Enjoy
Old 12-06-11, 09:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on commuting! I haven't done it in a while and miss it.

I have learned that clean sweat does not smell. I currently run frequently on my lunch hour and due to time constraints I find that I am always still sweating after my shower for a whle. No big deal. it doesn't smell and it evaporates eventually, I figure my body needs more cooling off. So I wouldn't worry too much about the sweating. Even if it feels sticky and feels like you're sweating through your clothes it will evaporate. If it reallly bothers you just leave earlier in the morning to give yourself more time to cool off before showering.
Old 12-06-11, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BiketoFeel
Well done. You're on your way to being weird.
There's a lot of truth to that!
Old 12-06-11, 03:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crossroads Elite, Specialized Trcross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats and great post Chefisaac! An 11 mile commute is nothing to sneeze at and you went both directions - way to go!! One tip that I think most regular commuters will give you is to get everything ready the night before and load up your bike so that you can roll out without having to think too much in the morning. I bring a change of clothes back and forth to work each day, and having them ready to go in the morning helps save a lot of time. If its possible, you might also want to keep a pair of shoes in your office or at your desk, so you don't have the extra weight to haul back and forth. To keep things a little better organized in the trunk bag, I keep my keys, wallet, and metro pass in a ziploc bag on top of the bike repair/ security stuff. Its a lot easier to find a sealed ziploc this way than having to dig around through tubes,U-locks, and the rest of your emergency bike equipment.

It's a lot tougher to commute in the winter, (even this morning at 6:30 am in Los Angeles, it was 35 deg. F), but if you dress in layers, and make sure your extremities are warm, you do end up warming up pretty quickly. And finally, just because you decided to start bike commuting, it doesn't mean you have to ride in every day, no matter what . . . if your legs are tired the next day, or you need a break, don't be afraid to give yourself a rest day. Welcome to the club dude, make sure to check back often and let us know how its going!!
Old 12-06-11, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Here are a few suggestions:
  • ride the last mile at a cool down pace, unzip your jacket, etc. and don't overdress; immediately remove as much clothing as possible when you arrive and put it in a stuff sack (REI sells them)
  • leave as much at work as possible, including shoes, locks, battery chargers, winter coat, umbrella, spare bike stuff
  • don't carry anything unless you actually need it (leave the heavy wallet and keys at home)
  • eat before you ride
  • shower when you get to work if available, rather than before riding
Old 12-07-11, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
i am sooooo sore today!
I remember my first commute to work. I thought I was going to die when I got to work. My legs were like jelly and I got cramps while showering. I had a hard time making it up the stairs. It got a little better every time I rode. I went for twice a week and then three. Now I usually ride in 4 days a week; I donate platelets every other week and I'm not sure I want to bike shortly after a donation. I also ride on the weekend and I had my first 50 mile ride.

Your first ride is the hardest and in winter no less! Keep up the good work.
Old 12-07-11, 03:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I first started commuting to work again(after a two-three year layoff), I was tired for a while afterwards. The first mile seems to be the worst, maybe because I don't stretch, or because the hours I work, I have trouble making food for work.
If you're tired, and having trouble finding time to cook, do it on the weekends and freeze it. When I don't drink water, my energy is low also.
Old 12-08-11, 09:26 AM
Twin Cities, Minnesota

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome and congrats on the commute!

I don't really have any other advice to give other than what others have already done, so will relate my experience in commuting.

I started commuting at the start of April this year with a 16 mile round trip, and was way out of shape due to an extended hospital stay a couple years back. The first 8 mile ride into work took 55 minutes and I thought I was going to die, however I kept with it and did the commute 5 days a week. Now that I'm a few months into it I will occasionally add on extra 10-20 miles on the way home and that 8 mile 55 minute ride is now down to 20 minutes!

It gets much easier as you go, and I think you'll be less sore if you give yourself a day to rest in between commutes until you get used to the distance. In no time at all though, you'll be commuting every day

Last edited by CrazyWally; 12-08-11 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-08-11, 12:54 PM
Mrs. Hop-along

Bikes: Ladies Schwinn Super Sport and Gateway

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to a new way of doing things!

I was SO excited to realize after we moved that work was only 3 miles away, on wide-lane roads with a middle turn lane even- no reason for me not to be able to bike it!

Now that I commute, I want everyone to ride bikes and am excited to have had our first family bike ride. I'm surprised to realize how much I've changed from the first day of school in September to now.

My route is 3 miles with some tiny dips along the way and 2 significant hills- one each direction. I remember feeling every single dip initially, and being afraid I'd have to walk up the hill. I managed to not walk it, though, crawled up it huffing and puffing in the easiest gear 1. I remember being so disappointed that I had 7 gears and spent most of my time in 2, going down to 1 at every tiny difficulty. I realized just yesterday that now my cruising gear is up from 2 to 4 and sometimes 5. I still gear down a lot on that hill, but sometimes I can go all the way up it in 3, and that makes me feel ultimately awesome. Wind is still a huge enemy, but back then it felt like the end of me, while now its more of just a challenge to overcome. It does get easier. It took me a whole month, but it happened.

I'm actually really impressed at anyone who can start out going further than me, maybe I was just a wuss.

For advice, I would agree that setting things out the night before is really good, knowing what you'll eat, etc. Its easier not to have to make those decisions in the wee hours of the morning. I keep my hat and gloves in my helmet so I can just grab them all together.

Check your bike over right when you get home and add air to tires or lube the chain then. You might forget later or not have time in the morning. When you get up take a look at the bike early in your routine in case you had a slow air leak so you aren't surprised.

Once you find a method of organization that works for you, don't mess with it. Every time I think I'm clever to do something new, I forget something or lose it temporarily. Put things away and don't give in to a moment of laziness. I have my bike things in secure spots so all I have to do is drop my purse in the crate and go.

You'd be amazed at what you can get by asking. I have a nice little corner behind a door to park my bike in, and I even got a free bicycle for my husband to use to ride with me, just by asking.

Congratulations!
Old 12-08-11, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for all the advice, help and encouragment you all! I appreciate it.

Tomorrow will be the test. It will be REALLY cold out (30 degrees). I am not sure how I will handle it. Clothes are still an issue and I have not found out what works best. I am going to try a new pair of gloves and also maybe a wind breaker. Not sure.
Old 12-08-11, 02:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paperbackbiker
I almost wish I lived farther away from work. I only have a 6 mile ride in!
My commute to work is only 2 miles ....I am able to just get my heart rate up before I'm done. I really just ride into work so I can ride home and I usually hit some other streets to give me a 6-8 Miles on the way home. I can't really complain though...its awesome being so close to work. I too have just started commuting, today is my second ride. I'm going to take a 5 mile ride home....with a pretty intense hill at the end. Wish me luck
Old 12-08-11, 04:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats! A couple of pointers that have helped me.

1. Make sure that your bike is fit to your body correctly. The commute could definitely be using different muscles than the road bike, but your commuter could also be set up incorrectly, which could be causing you some trouble.
2. If your palms are sore, try a pair of ergon handlebar grips, they make all the difference in the world for me.
3. You mentioned you have gator tires for the bike. If those are not slicks, you might look at getting some slicks for the commuter. Hands down the best thing you can do to add speed cheaply on a MTB.
4. I've found that suing a backpack strapped to my rear rack instead of a set of panniers is a lot easier/ lighter/simpler to use.
5. for the sweat, I keep a small fan at my desk & turn it on when I get into work. I also use rocket shower. It seems to help dry up the sweat somewhat.
6. Leave your work shoes at work if possible. Those are by far the hardeest thing to transport back & forth. If you can leave them at work, you're a good ways towards simplifying your commute.
7. Also, leave a full change of clothes at work if possible. One of these days, you will forget something. It's nice to have a backup.
8. Keep a record of what you wore in what temperature & how it felt. This will be invaluable next year around this time.

Congrats on the first commute!
Old 12-08-11, 06:50 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am packed and ready to go for tomorrows commute! Panniers packed and lights charging.

he he he he !!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-08-11, 07:21 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Do you think using a mtn bike uses different parts of the legs versus road bike?
It's not the bike, but the relationship between the saddle and the pedals.

In October I finally addressed a matter that had been bugging me with my four road bikes. The fit and my position was close on each bike, but different enough that each one used my leg muscles differently. I just got tired of messing with it myself and still having sore legs every time I switched bikes. Any one bike was fine--I could adapt. But switching between them was when I had problems.

I took them all the the LBS (two at a time--riding one and carrying the other on my backpack). Starting with the bike I thought fit me best and put me in the best position, I worked with the fitter for a good three hours fine-tuning it before we were both satisfied. Then we documented all the measurements, and transferred them to my other bike.

I rode those two only for the next two weeks to be certain that's how I wanted them. Then I took the other two in and we transferred the measurements to them as well.

The past six weeks have been heaven since I can switch among the bikes at will, without having to re-adapt and go through a day or two of sore legs each time. Plus I seem to be making more power and can spin better too.

So no, I don't think it's the different styles of bikes, I think that your fit and position on each one is different, and like I was doing, you're having to re-adapt when you switch bikes.
Old 12-08-11, 07:32 PM

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Hooked another one. Enjoy your commute. I retired last year and the only thing I miss about work is my bike commute.
Old 12-08-11, 07:33 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tsl: thanks for that! If you dont mind me asking, what did they measure for you at the shop?
Old 12-08-11, 10:18 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

tsl: thanks for that! If you dont mind me asking, what did they measure for you at the shop?
Other than flexibility assessment, there were no measurements of me. All the bikes fit me, it's just that they all fit me differently and they all had my position a little different.

This was more of a real-time, cyclist-in-motion determination. I spent a lot of time in the trainer, then we went for a ride. All the while he peppered me with questions about how this or that felt, when and how I felt best on the flats, climbing (both seated and standing), descending, cornering and well as on the hoods, in the drops and on the tops. We also covered when and how I felt I had problems, and finally how these things manifested themselves across the four bikes.

That was the first couple of hours. Then back at the shop he suggested what we might move, where and why. I gave him free rein and when he was done I got back on the bike in the trainer and we went at it for another hour or so. I was exhausted both physically and mentally by then.

BTW, this is the LBS where I bought my Trek Portland--my primary commuting bike and the bike I have the most miles on. Interestingly, while still my favorite bike, the Portland was no longer my most comfortable to ride, and I felt I was working too hard for too little power on it. I've changed as a cyclist in the past two years since I bought my two pure roadies.

Anyway, I sat on the couch while one of the mechanics transferred all the new measurements to the Portland. Then I threw the Litespeed back on my backpack and we rode home on the Portland.

My saddle position was different on every one of the four bikes--in all three measurements: height, setback from the bottom bracket, and angle. Mapped out, they surrounded the new position. One came up and back, one up and forward, another down and forward, and the last down and back. Bars all went down and three went forward, although one came back. Two of my bikes simply swapped their stems. We also adjusted the lever position on one.

EDIT: Oh, and we also moved my cleats, which meant taking my other two pairs of shoes in to move their cleats as well.

Now, despite differences in frame geometry and bars, my contact points are all in the same place relative to each other, and especially, relative to the bottom bracket.

Last edited by tsl; 12-08-11 at 10:24 PM.
Old 12-09-11, 06:47 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thats intense tsl. Buy that guy lunch for helping out! I find if I treat the bike shop people great (ie: food), they get me in and out. No lines!

I raised my seat last night after taking some measurements versus my road bike. Felt ok. Need to raise the seat a little more and also tilt the brooks saddle up a little. I am sliding off too easily.
Old 12-09-11, 09:48 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

thats intense tsl. Buy that guy lunch for helping out!
Oh, he was well-paid, I assure you. It was several hundred dollars by the time we had all the bikes done.

But in bike shops, just like bars, you tip the staff, but never tip the owner.
Old 12-09-11, 04:43 PM

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tsl
It's not the bike, but the relationship between the saddle and the pedals.

So no, I don't think it's the different styles of bikes, I think that your fit and position on each one is different, and like I was doing, you're having to re-adapt when you switch bikes.

I don't think that's the whole story though. Here's an example, just from my experience.

I started off the year with a 16 year old 26" wheel 22" (56cm) Mountain Bike. I had it fitted when I was 16, and hadn't changed a thing since. This year I decided to start doing distance riding, and pretty much any ride over 50 miles really hurt. I went numb in multiple areas and my knees started hurting.

I took it to a bike shop and got it professionally fitted, and it felt great, best bike I've ever ridden. Gone on 2 centuries and 8 metrics on it now. The shop put my numbers into their computer and told me if I ever wanted to buy a new bike they'd transfer the numbers over.

Fast Forward to last month, I hit 3000 miles for the year and decided to buy a new bike as a reward. Went with a Touring bike, 700c, 56cm frame, but outfitted with road bike shifters (but touring/MTB gearing... my hill climbing leaves a lot to be desired). This bike was instantly 10x more comfortable than the last one, despite using the same measurements as the MTB. I feel more comfortable, I can pedal faster, and I can go faster. I have no idea how to explain it except that there's got to be something about the geometry that makes it feel better. I got back onto the MTB after a week riding the road bike, and I never want to go back to the MTB again. Keep in mind that the road bike literally has the same fit as the MTB. Same person fit me using the same measurements. I just love the road bike, and the MTB doesn't feel so good.
Old 12-09-11, 06:32 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Originally Posted by Mithrandir
This bike was instantly 10x more comfortable than the last one, despite using the same measurements as the MTB. I feel more comfortable, I can pedal faster, and I can go faster. I have no idea how to explain it except that there's got to be something about the geometry that makes it feel better. I got back onto the MTB after a week riding the road bike, and I never want to go back to the MTB again. Keep in mind that the road bike literally has the same fit as the MTB. Same person fit me using the same measurements. I just love the road bike, and the MTB doesn't feel so good.
I don't doubt it. Each one of my bikes feels differently, which is why I have four, instead of having replaced one with another.

But the Chef wasn't asking about how different bikes feel, he was asking why his legs felt different between the two bikes. Not the same question.
Old 12-10-11, 09:43 AM

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
LOVED your story. I commute about 12 miles one way when the weather is good. 30 degrees is about my lower limit. I live in rural America so it's a different thing here. Except for the last 2 miles in town, mine's all open highways. It gets cold out there! I'm a wimp on that though.

I too load everything the night before so I can just roll in the mornings. I own my own business so I can clean up easily and not have to worry about my bike since I bring it in.

Again, good read! Keep it up! By this time next year, you'll be looking or will have looked for ways to make the ride longer.
Old 12-10-11, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Very interesting read indeed. Now that I have a second bike, I wonder how well I'll tolerate the differences. Road vs flat bar hybrid.

I'm wondering if I should get one of those fancy $250 bike fittings. I am not having any direct issues, but perhaps it could be better. When I go up/down stairs, my right knee sounds like rice krispies. There's no pain, but that could change.

What happened to the days when one bike was enough. I can't believe how many different types of bikes there are.
Old 12-10-11, 03:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chef you picked up a lot of pertinent information in short order. That is what I like about this forum. From my first time here it is always good for information. As said don't change the day before routine. Set up for the next day's ride. Check it all and that means lunch, shoes or extra clothes and all. I use the spd pedals and shoes so I keep the polished work boots in the work locker. Maybe a daily wipe off of the chain when you arrive at the hacienda. When you have to use the spare tube you carry replace it that night. I have only had a +14*F morning so far this cold season. this will be my fifth year. Use a large calendar to put the weather conditions of the day and the neccesary gear for comfort on the bike on each evening. Check it next year and after a while a brief weather check will be all you need to take off each day. I used my old running log when I changed to cycling.

Last edited by Blues Frog; 12-13-11 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-11-11, 11:29 PM

Bikes: 05 Trek 5200, 07 Trek 520, 99 GT Karakoram, 08 Surly 1X1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tomorrow will be the test. It will be REALLY cold out (30 degrees).......
30...Heh Heh...
Lots of good advice here. Welcome.
There is also good information on winter riding wear in the "winter cycling" forum.
It seems most people start out wearing too much, over heat, then get cold. Be sure to layer.
Most of it is trial and error. In short order, you'll just look up the weather the night before and know exactly what to put on.
How did yesterdays ride go?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.