Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

My Newly Restored 1973 Mercier

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

My Newly Restored 1973 Mercier

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-21, 02:03 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by markk900
This may be another 10 years too young but in case you want it for your documentation:

That's very cool! Thanks for the pic. My bike came with a similar sticker (shown below) but it was in pretty rough condition so I decided to remove it. Your sticker still looks brand new. Amazing!

Old 09-08-21, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3816 Post(s)
Liked 3,356 Times in 2,190 Posts
-----

the cycle's UNIVERSEL chainset is a product of the A. Duprat firm

yes, the marking in the flute on the outer face of the arms appears to read ADUPRAT but there really is supposed to a period after the A initial

it can be seen/read somewhat more clearly on the chainset of this porteur type cycle from the late 1930's

​​​​​​
​​​​​​
the design of this set is one employed by several French producers for generations

the drive side crank arm has an integral threaded boss onto which threads the chainwheel which is in turn secured with a lockring, similar to the lockring on an adjustable bottom bracket cup -

A. Duprat owned several names; another of these is that of BRAVILUX

the firm operated from Saint Etienne in workshops situated at 48 Rue de Champagne

---

this flickr page illustrates several examples of 1970's era Mercier products

it also contains Mercier factory catalogue pages of the early 1970s from the firm's U.S. agent Beacon Cycle & Supply Co. these pages give the specifications for several models. Beacon operated three warehouses; one each serving the east, the west and the south regions.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/phorsu...57625652626953

-----
Old 09-08-21, 08:52 PM
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,256 Posts
Originally Posted by milksteaks
Also trying to decide if I want to use the same dynamo light by attaching to on of the stays on the front rack.

It appears that the original tires are appropriate for a bottle generator. The change in tread pattern and orientation would reduce friction and noise. Deliberate design?
I too have a Bloor Cycle bike.