Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Plan to ride and photograph not working

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Plan to ride and photograph not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Yeah, I remember that thread.
A picture of my wife taking a picture of me taking a picture of her,

A picture of me taking a picture of my wife taking a picture of me. We were just playing around

Last edited by Doug64; 08-28-20 at 10:24 AM.
Likes For Doug64:
Old 08-27-20, 09:59 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I find myself more willing to stop for pics when I am on the uphill, rather than down
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 08-27-20, 11:55 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I've been a photographer for years, former photojournalist and still do street and documentary photography projects. Nowadays the last thing I want to do is mess with cameras on bike rides. I rarely tote even a P&S anymore. When I do it's with a lanyard around my wrist or a neck strap. There are some good retractable chest straps that make it easier and safer to snap pix on the fly.

I hate phone camera ergonomics -- they're slippery bars of soap. Apparently other cyclists have the same problem -- I've lost track of the number of times I've had to dodge someone's dropped phone, or watched other cyclists slip and fall over someone's carelessly fumbled phone. On group rides I avoid anyone I see fiddling around with a phone. If it's a P&S camera on a lanyard I don't worry so much. And some folks I know who dropped and damaged their phones more than once have added those glue-on finger rings or knob doodads to improve the ergonomics. I had one on my old iPhone but the pix snapped on the fly were usually junk anyway so I don't bother anymore.

I usually run front and rear video cameras on the bike, and sometimes on the helmet. If I want stills I'll grab a frame from the videos.

Most action cameras have a time lapse mode that snaps pix every (second/minute interval here). But some Drift video cameras feature a nifty tagging mode that some folks prefer. Rather than recording everything (which I do, via DVR mode with 5 minute segments), the camera runs continuously but doesn't record anything to the media card until the user presses a button to tag that segment. Then the camera will save everything from 10 seconds before and after pressing the tag button, up to 2 minutes worth.

My primary use of video is for emergency documentation, as I've been hit more than once. It clarifies who was at fault. Since a cyclist may be incapacitated, at least temporarily, tagging isn't useful for emergency documentation because it relies on the user being physically and mentally capable of remembering to tag an incident. When I was hit a couple of years ago (the one ride in 4 years when I didn't have a video camera on the bike), my shoulder was broken and dislocated. I couldn't move it to quickly reach my phone camera. By the time I was able to catch my breath and fish out the phone with my left hand, several minutes had passed, so I was only able to snap a few pix of the surroundings, including the driver and vehicle who hit me. If I'd been unconscious, there would have been no photos, or none from my perspective.

If the cyclist forgets to tag an incident within 2 minutes, it's too late. That moment is gone. So I use 64GB cards and rely on the camera's 5-hour battery to record everything continuously.

But if I wanted to just quickly capture a few memorable moments, sure, I'd use the tagging feature.

Most of the time if I want a composed photo I'll just stop. Most on-the-fly phone snaps are crap anyway. I see dozens of 'em every day on Instagram from friends. The pix are rarely in focus, blur-free or composed in any way. The whole Lomo artless snap non-aesthetic died with film more than a decade ago.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 08-28-20, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18431 Post(s)
Liked 15,585 Times in 7,339 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
I find myself more willing to stop for pics when I am on the uphill, rather than down
Funny how that happens. 😀
Old 08-28-20, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6976 Post(s)
Liked 10,975 Times in 4,695 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
II hate phone camera ergonomics -- they're slippery bars of soap. Apparently other cyclists have the same problem -- I've lost track of the number of times I've had to dodge someone's dropped phone, or watched other cyclists slip and fall over someone's carelessly fumbled phone. On group rides I avoid anyone I see fiddling around with a phone.

Most on-the-fly phone snaps are crap anyway. I see dozens of 'em every day on Instagram from friends. The pix are rarely in focus, blur-free or composed in any way.
I've taken several thousand pics while riding, and I've dropped the phone once - on a solo ride. A good case, with some tackiness, makes a phone much more grippable.

The resolution ain't great - a phone pic will never look good in a print larger than 5x7" or so - but any decent phone will generally nail the focus and exposure.