Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

New saddle appears to increase power by a third.

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

New saddle appears to increase power by a third.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-17, 08:15 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3901 Post(s)
Liked 1,951 Times in 1,392 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Not from where I sit.

Above my pay grade to know why, but we don't. Maybe because Apples are cheaper, and maybe because the Citric Acid in Oranges inhibits fermentation, but the thing is, there is no such thing as Orange Cider.

But that does not invalidate what he said, which is, near as I can tell, that you haven't accounted for enough variables to begin formulating hypotheses. Can we agree that Time Trial and Pursuit racers focus more on power than a Commuter or Tourist? Track and Time Trial bikes have 75* seat tube angles to get the rider forward. Time Trialists turn seat posts around to get the saddle a ridiculous amount forward. Time Trialists pedal at the forward tip of the saddle to get further forward. The longer rails of the Selle allowed the o.p. to get his saddle further...yah... <shrug> Brooks saddles aren't known to be the narrowest saddle a guy could throw a leg over. It might be (since we are speculating) that the longer, narrower Selle allows for a less hampered knee action.
The reason that these racers move the saddle as far forward as is legal is to open the hip angle, which allows better breathing. One can have a perfectly flat back with standard road position, but at the cost of a more closed hip angle. So yes riding with a far forward saddle position allows a rider to produce more continuous power than a cyclist with road position and a similar back angle, but only because they can move air and blood more easily.
Old 08-26-17, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Are you sure the saddle HEIGHT is the same? For me, the fore/aft or saddle height being off by just 5 mm -- especially too high and/or far forward -- can cause that kind of a drop in speed/power.
Old 08-27-17, 11:24 AM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Helps if you have it set high enough to allow for correct leg extension as well. Betting you did that too.