Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Please voice your opinons on this bike/company...

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Please voice your opinons on this bike/company...

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-07, 03:26 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sprocket Man
This company excels at their marketing efforts. They employ "shills" who post pseudo-questions about their products on bicycle-related forums. As a result, Motobecane is among the most talked about bicycle brands out here, even surpassing Trek and Giant in their online "buzz" on BF. It's an amazingly cost-effective strategy, though many would complain that it's a highly unethical way to do business.

As far as their products go, I have no idea.

Fixed it for you.

Here's the "real" Motobecane...MBK sponsors Agritubel in the pro peloton, makes a geat bike but I doubt you'll find one or very many here in the US.
Attached Images
File Type: gif
Logo_mbk.gif (2.8 KB, 273 views)
Old 09-27-07, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by texascyclist
You have to think that it is highly probable that a newb will inquire about BD on one of the most popular forums.
Every once in a while, sure.

If you are a newb google around to find super inexpensive bike online, you are going to end up at BD period.
"Period"? You can't be serious son. I just googled "cheap road bike" and "inexpensive road bike" and BD didn't come up once (NOT ONCE!) in the first four pages of hits. What did come up several times however, was this forum. Hmmmm, now what can we conclude from this...woops, there I go being Barney again

You guys are are complete knee jerk idiots.
Correct, so what's your point?

You end up educating a potential roadie, so that he doesn't rush into a decision he may (or may not) regret later.
Fixed.
Old 09-27-07, 07:14 AM
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
One of my buddies had one of those bikes and it snapped on him going over a railroad track. Turned out that the newspaper they lined the inside of the carbon with caused a crease and the frame failed right there.
That's interesting. My buddy got caught in the rain on his and the frame dissolved right out from underneath him.
Old 09-27-07, 07:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wanders
That's interesting. My buddy got caught in the rain on his and the frame dissolved right out from underneath him.
If he was smart, he would have dashed for cover as soon as the clearcoat washed away, then later applied Pinarello stickers.
Old 09-27-07, 07:22 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NuBiker
if your GF races she should know what to buy...
Correct answer.

She will tell you exactly what she wants (something worth about 3 months salary) and hopefully you will not preempt her by showing up with a Moto all wrapped up with a large pink bow.
Old 09-27-07, 07:31 AM
going roundy round

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedup
So I was just browsing around on the web today and looking for a good deal for my girlfriend ( wants a full carbon bike ) and possibly myself and stumbled across these Motobecanes on bikesdirect.com. They have a full carbon with full ultegra sl groupo for 1730 bucks! Now, I dont know much about this brand and I know I wouldnt really be hesitant if it was just a fixed gear ( what im used to ) or something like that, but this is a full carbon race bike ( something im not used to). I really like the new ultegra sl groupo, but what of the frame?
If you just "stumbled" across them today, how did you know about the Mercier on Sept 1?

I'm looking to upgrade my current formula/weinmann lp18 wheelset on my fixed. I'm pretty sure i'm about to buy the mercier kilo tt bike and as soon as i get it i'll be switching the bars, stem, saddle, pedals and will be putting the current wheelset I have on now. But I'm going to be upgrading everything on the bike so I was wondering what are some good rim/hub combos. I dont know much about them. Are the somas any good? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 09-27-07, 07:41 AM
bannned

Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you just "stumbled" across them today, how did you know about the Mercier on Sept 1?
Bu-hu-husted.

Old 09-27-07, 07:48 AM
bannned

Bikes: black bike, white bike, blue bike, yellow bike, silver bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NuBiker
if your GF races she should know what to buy.
Not exactly true. My girl races, has raced for several years and doesn't have any interest in her bikes. All she wants is that it's light and pretty.

Old 09-27-07, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could it be that people that attack bd so vehemently are shills for the LBS lobby? Why else would a person care if one buys a bike on line or at LBS.

Maybe there should be a FAQ concerning BD. One link could be “Negative point to consider before buying from BD”- lack of support and sizing issues... Another link could be “Positive points to consider before buying at BD” – great prices…

All of the antidotal experiences both good and bad could include in a link. You could have a link “I love my moto” and another link could be “I hate your moto”.

If there was a FAQ concerning bd when a person posted “I just found this great deal on a bike, is it too good to be true” that person could be directed to the BD FAQ.

I do not believe that BD has shills posting requesting info on bd. I take Mike at his word. I appreciate his interaction on this board and I enjoy his post. There is not another bike manufacture who post on this board. But if there were shills for bd a FAQ would take care of the problem.

Buddy

For the record I just ordered a Bottecchia from Bottecchia USA. So I guess I have drank the kool-aid I must be a shill. I hope my check comes in quickly from bd so I can pay for my bike! :-)
Old 09-27-07, 08:56 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whoa, someones an internet creep with too much time. If you spent that much time looking at my posts why didnt you read the one I just posted saying I never looked at anything on that site BUT the three or four fixed gear bikes, NEVER looked at the road bikes, like I stated EARLIER. Jeez all you roadies are so pretentious.
Old 09-27-07, 09:03 AM
That's bone.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
dudes, come on!

her 2200 isn't even a female-specific bike!
Old 09-27-07, 09:37 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I did was ask about these bikes i'd never heard of, she does know what she wants, she wants a specialized ruby frameset, I was just looking at what else is out there to give her ideas, and since i've never heard of these bikes I figured I'd post on the road forum to get some credible answers. Now either you guys are a bunch of stuck up rich asses that just buy the greatest thing cause you can and dont know much about anything, or you're just stuck up in general, too much so to offer any sound advice. Thanks to the people who actually replied that had something worthy of reading.
Old 09-27-07, 09:39 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dcbikeguy
. I just googled "cheap road bike" and "inexpensive road bike" and BD didn't come up once (NOT ONCE!) in the first four pages of hits.

Fixed.
You should google 'how google works'
and learn more about the search engine before making assumptions

We pay for and get over 500,000 impressions per day
those result in thousands of click thrus per day

we have a list of search terms we 'bid' on
and most road bike, mountain bike, tri bike, and track bike terms are included

try 'road bike' - several times any day
most of the time you will see our ad

same is true on yahoo, msn, and ask

this is part of the reason so many new buyers see us and wonder about our deals
a very very small percentage of those post questions on BF, RBR, or MTBR
but even that small percetage is hundreds of people
calling them shills makes no sense and makes the basher look uninformed;
but my feeling is such behavoir just increases the chance the new buyer will but from us

mike
Old 09-27-07, 10:04 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikesdirect_com
You should google 'how google works' and learn more about the search engine before making assumptions
You should practice better reading comprehension before you criticize my post. I did what I did in response to the previous poster. AND, you shouldn't assume that I don't know how search engines work. What, you are the most informed person here? Pleeeaaase.

But I guess you have to come back at me with something, right? Well done Mike.
Old 09-27-07, 10:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My opinion, not that it means much, on BD is very good so far.

I just got my road bike from them $1095 (full ultegra, Mercier). When it came in it has 2 bent spokes (UPS damage) and a blown rear tube (not sure how that happened). I called them the same day to get repair parts. They sent them to me in a timely manor and at no charge. For what I have, I’m glad I bought from them.
Old 09-27-07, 10:09 AM
Code Warrior

Bikes: Schwinn MTB/Raleigh Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best thread evar!

But my BS meter is still pegged.

BSMeter.jpg

Someone else said it best...if the gf really raced...she would know what to get.

Jake: Hit it.

Old 09-27-07, 10:16 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I just said previously, she already has one picked out, I was just looking at other deals to see what else there was. Maybe if you spent time reading the posts instead of getting all stiff in the pants cause you can use your cute little bs meter then maybe you could've spared us with your wasted efforts.
Old 09-27-07, 10:32 AM
Code Warrior

Bikes: Schwinn MTB/Raleigh Marathon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And I just said previously, she already has one picked out, I was just looking at other deals to see what else there was. Maybe if you spent time reading the posts instead of getting all stiff in the pants cause you can use your cute little bs meter then maybe you could've spared us with your wasted efforts.
I already had my morning wood...that was hours ago. Its lunchtime now.

Plus, I like to think of the BS meter as "practical", never cute. YMMV.

Jake: Hit it.

Old 09-27-07, 10:34 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dcbikeguy
You should practice better reading comprehension before you criticize my post. I did what I did in response to the previous poster. AND, you shouldn't assume that I don't know how search engines work. What, you are the most informed person here? Pleeeaaase.

:
My reading comprehension sure could use improvement
However, I am fairly good at math

Your 'sample' of 4 attempts out of millions of time / phase combos on google is a very very small sample size - small enough that it proved little to nothing

Maybe I should not assume you do not understand the search engines; but your ad-hock sample design sure indicates some lack of knowledge concerning google -- in addition to what jumping to 1 or 2 conclusions indicates

The OP is a shopper looking for objective information
I think he can probably figure out which info he gets here is useful and which comments can be ignored

The one thing I know is: attacking him will not help him with his quest to make a good purchase decision

mike
Old 09-27-07, 10:39 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mwrobe1

Someone else said it best...if the gf really raced...she would know what to get.
I am not sure who said that
but it is certainly not correct in my experience [which only includes 30 years of selling bikes to all types of riders - including racers]

My wife races and she does not always know what she wants in equipment.
And my experience has been most racers who are paying for their own equipment have a hard time deciding what is best.

Research is good
Comparison is good

mike
Old 09-27-07, 10:46 AM
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love BD

Old 09-27-07, 10:51 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your 'sample' of 4 attempts out of millions of time / phase combos on google is a very very small sample size - small enough that it proved little to nothing

Maybe I should not assume you do not understand the search engines; but your ad-hock sample design sure indicates some lack of knowledge concerning google -- in addition to what jumping to 1 or 2 conclusions indicates
Let me do this step by step for you Mike, OK? Try and keep up.

This is what texascyclist wrote...

If you are a newb google around to find super inexpensive bike online, you are going to end up at BD period.
In response, I went to google and searched for "cheap road bike" and "inexpensive road bike" (two searches Mike, not four). BD was nowhere to be found among the hits. You with me? Maybe to be totally clear I should have also searched for "super inexpensive bike" - which I just did. I quickly browsed through the first 10 pages of hits. Guess what? BD was nowhere among he hits. So can you agree with me now that what texascyclist wrote, namely that "If you are a newb google around to find super inexpensive bike online, you are going to end up at BD period" is a load of BS?

The OP is a shopper looking for objective information I think he can probably figure out which info he gets here is useful and which comments can be ignored
I agree. He should certainly be exposed to all views, including those that are critical of your efforts - as painful for you as that must be.

The one thing I know is: attacking him will not help him with his quest to make a good purchase decision
Correct. Perhaps I owe him an apology. fixedup - please forgive me. You're probably a sweet dude.

That is all.
Old 09-27-07, 11:14 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the OP is right. For the most part, you guys are a bunch of stuck-up eliteist. You should be excited anytime someone new wants to come into our sport and offer constructive help and encouragement. Face it, not everyone can afford a $3000+ bike. In fact, I'd wager that most of you that can really have no business on one anyway. All most of you do is complain about BD's advertising tactics, the mystery "shills" and how you think BD bikes are "ugly". However, few of you ever offer any critisim of the bikes themselves. Maybe you don't like to looks of them or their understated graphics; I understand that. Still, I think the concensus among those of us that own Merciers, Motos, Dawes, etc is that you get good componets and a quality frame at a competitive price. How many other manufactures bother to visit these boards answering questions and looking for opinions. I appreciate what Mike is trying to do and if it flies in the face of elitest bike snob convention, all the better.

Btw... google simply "road bikes" or "road bike deals" and see what you find. Maybe he's not interested in having the word "cheap" associated with his product.
Old 09-27-07, 12:46 PM

Bikes: 1970s or 80s concord pacer, 2007 dawes roadbike, 2005 raleigh supercourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickhigbee
I think the OP is right.Face it, not everyone can afford a $3000+ bike. In fact, I'd wager that most of you that can really have no business on one anyway. All most of you do is complain about BD's advertising tactics, the mystery "shills" and how you think BD bikes are "ugly". However, few of you ever offer any critisim of the bikes themselves. Maybe you don't like to looks of them or their understated graphics; I understand that. Still, I think the concensus among those of us that own Merciers, Motos, Dawes, etc is that you get good componets and a quality frame at a competitive price. How many other manufactures bother to visit these boards answering questions and looking for opinions..

well the op wasn't new to cycling... but i will say that i CANNOT defend my dawes road bike. It was not purchased at BD though. That being said, I would not buy a name that was not well known again, which unfortunately is what is offered frequently at BD. This in turn, tempts me away from BD, though some of their bikes probably are great deals and I have no reason to base an opinion on motobecane on my poor experience with dawes.

still, I am considering to buy from there, some of their packages would be worth buying just to get the components, then i would probably ebay off the rest of the parts i didnt feel were quality.
Old 10-01-07, 11:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrianC636
My opinion, not that it means much, on BD is very good so far.

I just got my road bike from them $1095 (full ultegra, Mercier). When it came in it has 2 bent spokes (UPS damage) and a blown rear tube (not sure how that happened). I called them the same day to get repair parts. They sent them to me in a timely manor and at no charge. For what I have, I’m glad I bought from them.
Did you ever consider buying the Motobecane Le Champion for the same price instead of the mercier? I just purchased the moto but was also interested in the mercier, what made you choose the mercier?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.