Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What is your Winter project for this season?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What is your Winter project for this season?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-14, 10:11 AM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 513 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7371 Post(s)
Liked 2,522 Times in 1,465 Posts
I have projects, and winter is approaching, so does that turn my projects into winter projects?

One is a 1974 Raleigh International I've been working on for years, very slowly, obviously. I'm in the middle of painting it.

Another is a 1973 Raleigh Twenty. I put on a threadless 1" headset, and that kinda sorta worked, but now, I've pushed the star nut into the steerer tube too deep. Gotta get it out somehow. And I'm going to shave down the head tube to effectively make the steerer longer. The steerer didn't really protrude far enough for the stem to grab it well.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-14-14, 10:21 AM
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 312 Posts
I had no Italian stallions in my stable, so I am adding one. Ca. 1973 Italian Masi GC purchased from a BFer. Frame is with Jack at Franklin Frame for repair of TT aero routing, chroming of fork crown and of course a refinish. Decided to stay with the blue already on it. It might be original color but who knows? Unfortunately the Masi panto chainring is ruined, so I decided to put drillium on it. Drillium Dude did some really nice rings for me on a trade and I have some other drillium bits that will get polished for use on the frame. I have a Martano front rim but am in need of a good rear Martano.

Before pic from seller below.

Drive by CV6Enterprises, on Flickr

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-14-14, 10:24 AM
If I own it, I ride it

Bikes: Lejeune(14), Raleigh, Raysport, Jan De Reus, Gazelle, Masi, B. Carré(4), Springfield, Greg Lemond, Andre Bertin, Schwinn Paramount

Originally Posted by noglider
I have projects, and winter is approaching, so does that turn my projects into winter projects?

One is a 1974 Raleigh International I've been working on for years, very slowly, obviously. I'm in the middle of painting it.

Another is a 1973 Raleigh Twenty. I put on a threadless 1" headset, and that kinda sorta worked, but now, I've pushed the star nut into the steerer tube too deep. Gotta get it out somehow. And I'm going to shave down the head tube to effectively make the steerer longer. The steerer didn't really protrude far enough for the stem to grab it well.
I considered doing that on one of my frames. Every frame person I spoke with advised against it. It does change the geometry of the frame. Can you find a headset with a lower stack height?

Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 11-14-14 at 11:37 AM.
Old 11-14-14, 01:17 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by CV-6
I considered doing that on one of my frames. Every frame person I spoke with advised against it. It does change the geometry of the frame. Can you find a headset with a lower stack height?
What's the worst that can happen? It's only a Raleigh Twenty, and it doesn't ride like a DeRosa anyway. I could hardly make it worse. I'll shave off the top, so the effect that the handlebars will be lower, which will be an improvement. I've already bent the fork blades back a bit to remove some of the excessive rake. I can't say it was an improvement, but it doesn't ride any worse. If the bike ends up being unridable, I'm only out a Twenty, and I can't imagine I'll truly ruin it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 11-14-14, 03:46 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I'm planning a restore on the Sekai 2700 but vying for equal attention in the stable this winter is my Raleigh Sports that started all this madness. Backlogged there's a Raleigh Superbe and a Supergo All access full suspension mtb.. might be a very busy winter if things slow down enough to work on bikes.
Old 11-14-14, 03:56 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by RaleighSport
I'm planning a restore on the Sekai 2700 but vying for equal attention in the stable this winter is my Raleigh Sports that started all this madness. Backlogged there's a Raleigh Superbe and a Supergo All access full suspension mtb.. might be a very busy winter if things slow down enough to work on bikes.
Have you tried riding a Sports in proper working order yet? You should, so you can decide whether it's worth the trouble. You might decide to hurry. Or you might decide to put it in the back of the queue.

Old 11-14-14, 04:08 PM
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Have you tried riding a Sports in proper working order yet? You should, so you can decide whether it's worth the trouble. You might decide to hurry. Or you might decide to put it in the back of the queue.
I have and I love how my Sports rides, what it really needs is the hubs repacked and I was a novice and felt it was beyond my skill level when I did originally preserve it.
Old 11-14-14, 04:20 PM
If I own it, I ride it

What's the worst that can happen? It's only a Raleigh Twenty, and it doesn't ride like a DeRosa anyway. I could hardly make it worse. I'll shave off the top, so the effect that the handlebars will be lower, which will be an improvement. I've already bent the fork blades back a bit to remove some of the excessive rake. I can't say it was an improvement, but it doesn't ride any worse. If the bike ends up being unridable, I'm only out a Twenty, and I can't imagine I'll truly ruin it.
I was considering doing it on something a little higher end. So I see your point.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Old 11-14-14, 04:21 PM
aka Tom Reingold

I was considering doing it on something a little higher end. So I see your point.

Old 11-14-14, 06:26 PM
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I picked up a few vintage Soubitez dynamo and light sets as well as an old Union set. I'm going to work on converting them to led and making bridge rectifyer circuits for them. I also have a few bikes to overhaul, nothing special though.
Old 11-14-14, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 143 Posts
That's a beauty.

Looks like a fun project for you.

I have a 1974 Masi GC heading my way in the new year. I wish you all the luck with this one.

I had no Italian stallions in my stable, so I am adding one. Ca. 1973 Italian Masi GC purchased from a BFer. Frame is with Jack at Franklin Frame for repair of TT aero routing, chroming of fork crown and of course a refinish. Decided to stay with the blue already on it. It might be original color but who knows? Unfortunately the Masi panto chainring is ruined, so I decided to put drillium on it. Drillium Dude did some really nice rings for me on a trade and I have some other drillium bits that will get polished for use on the frame. I have a Martano front rim but am in need of a good rear Martano.

Before pic from seller below.

Drive by CV6Enterprises, on Flickr
Old 11-14-14, 07:11 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3024 Post(s)
Liked 3,877 Times in 1,423 Posts
Putting a carpet runner on the stairs.

New tile (probably slate) in the front hall.

Paint the office.

Build one table and two cabinets.

And this was somewhat of an impulse ...

DSC_0074 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Old 11-14-14, 07:19 PM
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1223 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by likebike23
I picked up a few vintage Soubitez dynamo and light sets as well as an old Union set. I'm going to work on converting them to led and making bridge rectifyer circuits for them.
You can drive B&M LED lights directly with an old dyno. Of course you have to pay for the light...
Old 11-14-14, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Originally Posted by gomango
That's a beauty.

Looks like a fun project for you.

I have a 1974 Masi GC heading my way in the new year. I wish you all the luck with this one.
Let's see, gomango and CV-6 both going Masi.

I started with ONE too.

I don't know what fork crown yours will have gomango, but it will be interesting to read CV-6's ride comments on the twin plate crown.
There is precedent by the way for a Carlsbad bike to have brazed on downtube cable stops.
Old 11-14-14, 07:27 PM
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
You can drive B&M LED lights directly with an old dyno. Of course you have to pay for the light...
Yeah, I have an IQ fly running off of an Axa bottle Dynamo and it works well for the $25 it costs. I'm just looking for something to tinker with and this seems like it'll be a fun little project. I've tracked down some E10 led bulbs that'll just screw right into the old lights (one of which is a Soubitez golf ball light which will look cool on my U08). Getting them to run well will be the challenge.
Old 11-14-14, 07:40 PM
If I own it, I ride it

Originally Posted by repechage

I started with ONE too.

I don't know what fork crown yours will have gomango, but it will be interesting to read CV-6's ride comments on the twin plate crown.
There is precedent by the way for a Carlsbad bike to have brazed on downtube cable stops.
Price was too good IMO to pass. It will be a loner. I did break my decision to not buy anything but a 753 Lejeune when I bought it. I did ride it several times this summer. I cannot say I found the "Masi Mystique" while riding it. It was pleasant to ride but I do not consider it superior to anything else I own. Truth be told my favorites are my Jan de Reus and the Vitus Bernard Carré.

Not sure if the remark about DT cable stops was about mine. This one is not a Carlsbad Masi.

Lynn Travers

Photos

Last edited by CV-6; 11-14-14 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-14-14, 07:52 PM

I've been looking at this particular GC for eight years.

An old friend is doing a bit of downsizing and I've ridden this one quite a bit.

I offered a reasonable price and he wants me to have it.

I don't release pics till I am the actual owner, but I will be happy to share next summer.

That and one more special bicycle on the horizon will have me in C&V bliss for some time to come.

Originally Posted by repechage

I started with ONE too.

Old 11-14-14, 08:46 PM

Bikes: Colnago Super, Basso Gap, Pogliaghi, Fabio Barecci, Torelli Pista, Miyata 1400A

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
That and one more special bicycle on the horizon will have me in C&V bliss for some time to come.
Glad to hear that.

I was beginning to think we were losing you to something loosely called "gravel grinders" or some such nonsense!
Old 11-14-14, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Giacomo 1
Glad to hear that.

I was beginning to think we were losing you to something loosely called "gravel grinders" or some such nonsense!
Still in danger actually.

The roads here stink and I am leaning towards overbuilt wheelsets atm.

I'm drinking the wide tire Kool aid as well.

I'll still have a few road bikes though. Too much fun to pass that up.
Old 11-14-14, 09:45 PM

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 1,078 Times in 264 Posts
Finish rebuilding my Raleigh Superbe 3 speed. Looking for another project. now
Old 11-14-14, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,834 Times in 1,998 Posts
Price was too good IMO to pass. It will be a loner. I did break my decision to not buy anything but a 753 Lejeune when I bought it. I did ride it several times this summer. I cannot say I found the "Masi Mystique" while riding it. It was pleasant to ride but I do not consider it superior to anything else I own. Truth be told my favorites are my Jan de Reus and the Vitus Bernard Carré.

Not sure if the remark about DT cable stops was about mine. This one is not a Carlsbad Masi.
It will take a while to find that 753 Lejeune...
Italian example... Torch those cable stops off then.... Wink wink.
I have an Italian one from '74.
The twin plate fork crown is more flexible than the others used. It absorbs road shock a bit better under most conditions. At least I have found.

There is a Lejeune frame on eBay with Nervex pro lugs right now... Different.
Old 11-15-14, 01:18 AM
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 993 Times in 492 Posts
Restoring dad's '73 TdF:

It will get a blasting and powder coating; a triplized chainring; a set of guidonnet brake levers for my wife's small/not-so-strong hands. The rest will be polished up and an put back.

The saddle has already been rejuvenated with about three good coats of Obenauf's heavy duty leather protection. Place in sun for a while, apply and rub in as it melts from the warm leather.
Old 11-15-14, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Lynne, I've shaved head tubes on many occasions. Shaving the lower head tube by 2mm will have inconsequential effects on geometry. Will it change? Yes. But if you calculate out the change is minimal at best. If you shave off the top there's no change in geometry.

Running mismatched tire from to back will change geometry well and depending how angled the rear dropouts are will change geometry depending on wheel position.
Old 11-15-14, 06:16 AM
Cisalpinist

Bikes: blue ones.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Still in danger actually.

The roads here stink and I am leaning towards overbuilt wheelsets atm.

I'm drinking the wide tire Kool aid as well.

I'll still have a few road bikes though. Too much fun to pass that up.
I've found road bikes better to look at, but off road bikes more fun to ride. My winter build is definitely a looker
Old 11-15-14, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Italuminium
I've found road bikes better to look at, but off road bikes more fun to ride. My winter build is definitely a looker
Is that your attractive Somec you are talking about?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.