Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why I will never buy a TREK.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why I will never buy a TREK.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 10:09 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3042 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 785 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
And, this is what's wrong with America. It didn't happen directly to me so I guess I won't hold corporate America responsible for their bad acts towards others. I'll just go along supporting them and enabling them to act badly toward my fellow citizens and humans. And when corporate America does something to damage you should we all say "Too bad. It didn't happen to me. You're on your own." ?
Using this logic, you probably shouldn't buy 99% of the things you own, because someone, somewhere out there in corporate America is wronging someone!!
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-29-24, 10:56 AM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
Using this logic, you probably shouldn't buy 99% of the things you own, because someone, somewhere out there in corporate America is wronging someone!!
Yep, that smartphone, smartphone case, smartphone battery (and a bazillion other things the common person owns or uses) contains chemicals that when being produced - polluted the entire valley or river near the plant, causing all sorts of diseases downstream/downwind to the innocent residents...

But Lance took EPO - and a wife got upset - OH the horror!!!
Likes For Jughed:
Old 04-29-24, 11:32 AM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,273 Times in 3,908 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Trek is to bicycles what McDonald's is to fast food. Let's be honest.
Nonsense. McDonald's doesn't serve anything that can be considered among the highest-quality in the world. McD's thrives on being fast, low-cost, and consistent. In many types of bike racing, Treks can be found at the very highest levels, being ridden by some of the best riders in the world. If Trek was a restaurant, it would serve everything from kid's hamburger meals to Michelin-star dishes, with meatloaf, BBQ, and carne asada also on the menu. The same could be said about Specialized.
Old 04-29-24, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1060 Post(s)
Liked 1,317 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Thank goodness Canada hasn't given us a reason to avoid Canadian bacon.
Canadian bacon is a reason to avoid Canadian bacon.
Old 04-29-24, 11:56 AM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3196 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Nonsense.
Could be, or could be not. It depends on how far you want to take the analogy, I suppose.
Old 04-29-24, 12:06 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 751 Posts
Then let's just capitulate? When I know that someone is damaging us I don't support them. You can try to do what you can do or you can give up. And, since this is a bicycle forum I addressed this issue here. It's also why I do as much business locally as possible. If you do nothing, nothing will change. I do what I can. If everyone had boycotted TREK when this happened, TREK and others would have gotten a message. You can either try to make things better or you can go along with a bad system. Your choice.
Old 04-29-24, 01:04 PM

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked 825 Times in 421 Posts
Then let's just capitulate? When I know that someone is damaging us I don't support them. You can try to do what you can do or you can give up. And, since this is a bicycle forum I addressed this issue here. It's also why I do as much business locally as possible. If you do nothing, nothing will change. I do what I can. If everyone had boycotted TREK when this happened, TREK and others would have gotten a message. You can either try to make things better or you can go along with a bad system. Your choice.
But they didn't.

Why? For many people, the same reason they don't boycott corporation X or Y - simply because they need or want the product. Many of these people don't know or care about LA or doping, or the sponsorship, or even the connection between the two - they walk into a local bike store and a nice bike is sitting there at the ready for them to purchase.

For many cyclists, myself included, flat knew that LA and everyone around him was doped to the gills - that cycling from top to bottom was dirty... all the teams, the sponsors, the originations/officials, ex riders, current riders, future riders, doctors, assistants - they all knew flat out that doping in cycling, and all sports for that matter - were and are dirty.

Most of us knew this, those that didn't were burying their heads in the sand.

Knowing this - find me a bike company of the time that wasn't supporting a doper, and wouldn't do the exact same thing if they happened to have the top dog of all the dopers...

Mario Cipollini was doped out to the max and fully backed by Cannondale. Are they off limits? Pantani rode a Bianchi, Ullrich rode a Pinarello, Contador rode for Specialized - all dopers, and the bike companies flat knew it. That list goes on and on and on...
Old 04-29-24, 01:26 PM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3914 Post(s)
Liked 1,963 Times in 1,401 Posts
I did the exact opposite: I bought my Trek the year LA won his first Tour. I figured if it performed well for him, it would perform well for me, and I was right. It's still my best bike, smooth, stiff, fast, goes where it's pointed with no drama at all. All the components have been changed out several times, but the frame and fork are still perfect. As above, the top riders all doped. All that means is that a stronger rider than any of us will ever be test rode those bikes. I.e. don't bother with bikes ridden by non-dopers. Who knows how they'll hold up? That said there are a few modern pros who are really, really strong.
Old 04-29-24, 01:46 PM
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Could be, or could be not. It depends on how far you want to take the analogy, I suppose.
In what way do you see Trek the same as McDonald's? I spelled out why I don't agree with the comparison.
Old 04-29-24, 01:55 PM
Habitual User

When the story about Lance blew wide open, and his TdF titles were stripped, he was already past his racing days. By then, there was no longer a relationship between Lance and Trek. A boycott wouldn't have just been hurting Trek, but also the owners and employees of your LBS Trek dealer. Up until Trek's recent push to open corporate-owned shops, they had a reputation as being very supportive of their local dealers, and one of the better brands to sell.

Last edited by Eric F; 04-29-24 at 03:11 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 04-29-24, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18490 Post(s)
Liked 15,788 Times in 7,414 Posts
Wonder if he thinks BF is a mom and pop operation.
Old 04-29-24, 03:24 PM

How did they damage you? Show us on the doll where Trek hurt you, or show us on the bicycle.
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-29-24, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jughed
But they didn't.

Why? For many people, the same reason they don't boycott corporation X or Y - simply because they need or want the product. Many of these people don't know or care about LA or doping, or the sponsorship, or even the connection between the two - they walk into a local bike store and a nice bike is sitting there at the ready for them to purchase.

For many cyclists, myself included, flat knew that LA and everyone around him was doped to the gills - that cycling from top to bottom was dirty... all the teams, the sponsors, the originations/officials, ex riders, current riders, future riders, doctors, assistants - they all knew flat out that doping in cycling, and all sports for that matter - were and are dirty.

Most of us knew this, those that didn't were burying their heads in the sand.

Knowing this - find me a bike company of the time that wasn't supporting a doper, and wouldn't do the exact same thing if they happened to have the top dog of all the dopers...

Mario Cipollini was doped out to the max and fully backed by Cannondale. Are they off limits? Pantani rode a Bianchi, Ullrich rode a Pinarello, Contador rode for Specialized - all dopers, and the bike companies flat knew it. That list goes on and on and on...
Great!!! Now Bruce is left with nowhere to buy a bike since everyone doped!!

Those guys (pro cyclists and many other sports figures) are still doping to this day. It's just a matter of getting caught or skirting the line so close as not to be caught.

Bruce,

Here is a nice big list. If you can cross match the bikes they ride, you can add all of them to your banned bike brands list!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ses_in_cycling

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/...-still-doping/

https://www.bicycling.com/racing/a46...-one-loophole/
Likes For prj71:
Old 04-29-24, 03:57 PM
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

In what way do you see Trek the same as McDonald's? I spelled out why I don't agree with the comparison.
Well, what I said was that Trek is to the bike biz as McDonald’s is to fast food, so it wasn’t a comparison of the companies to each other, but rather of their positions in their respective markets. So in that context, they’re both the big dogs, having more dealers or stores than their competitors, and having market leading brand recognition. Despite that recognition, though, neither are at the top in terms of prestige, suffering to the mystique of smaller brands.

Maybe there’s more, but that’s the gist of it. Put another way, if the statement were posed as question, i.e. which bicycle brand is to the bike market as McDonald’s is to the fast food market, and it would be hard to have an honest discussion without mentioning Trek, simply based on real world, market stats.
Old 04-29-24, 04:27 PM
Habitual User

Well, what I said was that Trek is to the bike biz as McDonald’s is to fast food, so it wasn’t a comparison of the companies to each other, but rather of their positions in their respective markets. So in that context, they’re both the big dogs, having more dealers or stores than their competitors, and having market leading brand recognition. Despite that recognition, though, neither are at the top in terms of prestige, suffering to the mystique of smaller brands.

Maybe there’s more, but that’s the gist of it. Put another way, if the statement were posed as question, i.e. which bicycle brand is to the bike market as McDonald’s is to the fast food market, and it would be hard to have an honest discussion without mentioning Trek, simply based on real world, market stats.
I see your point. I'm not sure I completely agree, but I understand your intent, and I don't feel compelled to argue minutiae.
Old 04-29-24, 04:38 PM
Thread Killer

I see your point. I'm not sure I completely agree, but I understand your intent, and I don't feel compelled to argue minutiae.
Thanks. It was a silly, toss-off comment on my part anyway, and besides being unimportant, was really not even relevant to the thread.
Old 04-29-24, 06:01 PM

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1770 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 751 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
How did they damage you? Show us on the doll where Trek hurt you, or show us on the bicycle.
I will only bother you if right & wrong matter. If you have some integrity..No worries..You're safe.
Old 04-29-24, 06:04 PM

I will only bother you if right & wrong matter. If you have some integrity..No worries..You're safe.
Oh, integrity matters to me very much. A personal attack against someone you do not know, and have never met, is really uncalled for.

So I asked you how they damaged you.

I have never bought anything from Trek with the exception of tires once, but I won't boycott them since that only hurts the workers in the end, and they had nothing to do with it.

So again, how did Trek damage you?

Last edited by phughes; 04-29-24 at 07:00 PM.
Likes For phughes:
Old 04-29-24, 08:03 PM

Despite that recognition, though, neither are at the top in terms of prestige, suffering to the mystique of smaller brands.
This would not be a true statement regarding Trek.
Old 04-29-24, 08:30 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11035 Post(s)
Liked 7,584 Times in 4,229 Posts
Nmfm

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-29-24 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-29-24, 08:34 PM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Nmfm

Last edited by mstateglfr; 04-29-24 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-29-24, 08:38 PM
Sunshine

Nmfm
Old 04-29-24, 09:54 PM

Bikes: Paramount Track Bike, Colnago Super, Santana Tandems (1995 & 2007), Gary Fisher Piranha, Trek Wahoo, Bianchi Track Bike, a couple of Honda mountain bikes

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
So did you boycott USPS. Oh and Nike. Nike shoes never fit me.
Boycott USPS? If only. Think of all the paper we’d save!
Old 04-29-24, 10:29 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2631 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,969 Posts
Originally Posted by PrincipalRider
I will never buy a new Trek mountain or road bike. I just have never found them to be interesting or compelling. The whole Lance thing really solidified Trek as a crap company as well. That being said, I do have a 1997 Trek Multitrack 720 that I really do love. I needed a grocery getter/pedal around the neighborhood bike and it was cheap in the second hand market.
I admire people of principal who stick to their guns.

Full disclosure: I bought a new Trek MTB a few years ago and have it hanging in the bat cave with the other bats (the garage). All of them fly regularly.

Old 04-29-24, 10:36 PM

Bikes: 2020 Niner RIP9 RDO, 2022 OptOut Hooky, 2023 Salsa Journeyer, 1997 Trek Multitrack 720

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I admire people of principal who stick to their guns.

Full disclosure: I bought a new Trek MTB a few years ago and have it hanging in the bat cave with the other bats (the garage). All of them fly regularly.
I mean, it was manufactured pre-Lance, so that justified it.
Likes For PrincipalRider:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.