Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Supply Chain Blues

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Supply Chain Blues

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-20, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
05 fuji I will get on those calls as soon as I finish shaving my back and weaving you a new toupee from the clippings.

Guess no one here works in the cycling industry beyond LBS employees?
Old 09-28-20, 10:11 AM

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Shimano is having serious delays, ordered GRX di2 parts about two months ago, they *might* be here by December. Demand is up, production is down, makes for delays, pretty simple. I was happy to be able to get my new bike, I'll be ok riding it with the mechanical groupset for a lil while. lol
Old 09-30-20, 07:57 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Guess no one here works in the cycling industry beyond LBS employees?
In the US, that's pretty much all there is of the bike industry. The little cachet manufacturers and builders are too small to contribute any real numbers anywhere.
Old 09-30-20, 08:09 AM
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I don't think Wayne Stetina has an account here.

I'm sure insiders are pretty busy trying to get more supply and figure out how to schedule things so they don't end up with unsellable inventory if things go back to normal faster than expected
Old 09-30-20, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,969 Times in 4,692 Posts
A global supply chain is just that -- global. Just as a new "American" car contains parts produced on several continents, a new bike is made up of parts produced all over the world, potentially. Then throw in some of the shipping problems that have been outlined in previous posts, and it's easy to understand why new bike production isn't happening very quickly: a disruption at any point in the chain prevents the production of the bike.

In some cases, individual parts may be easier to acquire because they follow a more direct supply chain to your door.
Old 09-30-20, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
In the US, that's pretty much all there is of the bike industry. The little cachet manufacturers and builders are too small to contribute any real numbers anywhere.
Shimano USA has an office in Irvine (Orange? - somewhere in OC). Or maybe someone here works in management at Trek, Giant, Cannondale ... REI ...

I guess I'm surprised. The forum seemed so well-informed, I just imagined (incorrectly) that there were a fair amount of industry workers here.
Old 10-03-20, 04:19 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
Not denying the coronavirus supply chain impacts, but it is definitely being used as a handy excuse for many delays.

I had a rear wheel rebuilt by a local bike shop (a very good one) and it ended up taking 3 weeks because they were waiting on the spokes to be delivered. When it was finally done and I picked up the wheel, the receipt included notes that detailed the parts ordering. One week in the note said:

"9/12 - A bag of spokes came in, in the work in progress bin. However, "Joe" (not the mechanic's real name) is a NOOB and only ordered 1 bag of 16 spokes and the wheel needs 24. Ordered another bag but it will have to come from a different warehouse and take another week."

Busted!
Old 10-03-20, 04:34 AM
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Shimano USA has an office in Irvine (Orange? - somewhere in OC). Or maybe someone here works in management at Trek, Giant, Cannondale ... REI ...

I guess I'm surprised. The forum seemed so well-informed, I just imagined (incorrectly) that there were a fair amount of industry workers here.
The number of people here who post from Taiwan is relatively small. Just did a check and out of all of us, only 71 are from Taiwan and only 6 of those have posted in 2020.

You could seek them out and ask if they work for a bicycle company.

Last edited by Machka; 10-03-20 at 04:38 AM.
Old 10-03-20, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Talked to a couple lbs's in the NV area and was told that things are moving, but that "normality" probably won't return until spring-ish 2021
Likes For jfa100:
Old 10-03-20, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Campy shifters live or die on two $6 springs called G Springs. They last a long time but like everything else they go at the wrong time.

Not one bike shop in Manhattan including two Campy Pro shops had them.

😤