Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help, upgrade needed to beat my nephew in 20 mile dash

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Help, upgrade needed to beat my nephew in 20 mile dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Canyon Ultimate CF EVO weighs less than 11 pounds | Road Bike News, Reviews, and Photos

11 Pounds
For a mere $14,000

If that isn't enough, get an Femke Special electric motor
Lighter bike isn't going to make a huge difference on a flat short course.. need more Aero.. get yourself either in invisible aerobars or close to it with your wrists on your hoods (that's all i'm brave enough to do). elbows 90 degrees.. and a disc wheel...

are you doing this race TT style or can you suck wheel as much as he'll allow and get after him in a sprint. Or push the pace early on so he doesn't have a kick at the end
Old 02-18-17, 03:05 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Skip spending on the bike. Do what the pros do. PED's

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-18-17, 03:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh,
Post a photo of your Cannondale Supersix.

What is the handlebar position? Spacers? Stem angle?

Lowering the handlebars to the lowest possible level could potentially do more for you than a whole new bike.

Think Aero positioning of your body.

How are your gears? Topping out on the high end?

A speedometer can be handy for training and pacing yourself. Cadence? Power? Heart Rate?

How is your "race" held? In particular with drafting? Hold the pocket behind your nephew for the whole race, and then all you need to do is out sprint your nephew on the last few hundred yards. Of course, he'll figure that one out quickly (if he hasn't already).
Yeah, my strategy is/was to draft him for as long as possible. However, as you surmised, he figured that out quickly. Now he tries to break away as soon as possible - I sprint as hard as I can to get on his wheel and then try disguise my exhaustion as best I can. This process repeats a few times and then he's gone.

I've tried to work on my aero positioning, although I'm not overly flexible. I actually bought some clip on aero bars that I need to break out. As far as cadence, heart rate etc is concerned, I've never been serious enough to bother monitoring these.

The one thing that I have considered, is switching to a compact crankset. When I tried a compact, the big chain ring (50) was much more comfortable than my standard 52. I pretty much never use the small chainring.
Old 02-18-17, 03:13 PM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Train with high intensity intervals, and focus as much as you can on improving your recovery between intervals. Then yo-yo your nephew until he's exhausted. He cannot resist matching your every move at that age.

On the sabotage front, put some pebbles into his handlebars to mess with his mind. I've never actually tried it but it seems like it would be effective. Drop the seat a half inch, some air out of the tires, I know both of those are effective.
Old 02-18-17, 03:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
Repeats: close fitting cycling kit; aero position; latex tubes; aero helmet. Clean the drive chain. Periodized, graduated training plan for TT-style effort, coached if possible. After that, deeper, aero wheels. After that, aero bike.

You have the tires already.
Gotta admit, I've never worn bike shorts - maybe its time.
Old 02-18-17, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Morghulis
Yeah, my strategy is/was to draft him for as long as possible. However, as you surmised, he figured that out quickly. Now he tries to break away as soon as possible - I sprint as hard as I can to get on his wheel and then try disguise my exhaustion as best I can. This process repeats a few times and then he's gone.

I've tried to work on my aero positioning, although I'm not overly flexible. I actually bought some clip on aero bars that I need to break out. As far as cadence, heart rate etc is concerned, I've never been serious enough to bother monitoring these.

The one thing that I have considered, is switching to a compact crankset. When I tried a compact, the big chain ring (50) was much more comfortable than my standard 52. I pretty much never use the small chainring.
If he's riding you off his wheel at 17, it's only going to get worse, and no equipment upgrade is going to help. Try to get him to take up golf, but that's probably a loosing cause as well. Sucks getting old...
Old 02-18-17, 03:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Train with high intensity intervals, and focus as much as you can on improving your recovery between intervals. Then yo-yo your nephew until he's exhausted. He cannot resist matching your every move at that age.

On the sabotage front, put some pebbles into his handlebars to mess with his mind. I've never actually tried it but it seems like it would be effective. Drop the seat a half inch, some air out of the tires, I know both of those are effective.
The pebble idea is gold. Although, maybe I'll first spend a month or two actually training before finally admitting that Charles Barkley is right - father time is undefeated.
Old 02-18-17, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
You can swap your big chain ring to a 50. If you're sticking to "flat paved greenways - mostly Silver Comet" you don't need the 34 small ring that comes with a compact. You might do fine with 50/39 or 50/36. Others here know the possible combinations.
Old 02-18-17, 03:47 PM

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Okay, now I'm thinking that you need to up your budget and go for a Gruber Assist.

Old 02-18-17, 03:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Athens80
You can swap your big chain ring to a 50. If you're sticking to "flat paved greenways - mostly Silver Comet" you don't need the 34 small ring that comes with a compact. You might do fine with 50/39 or 50/36. Others here know the possible combinations.
Hmm, didn't think about simply switching out the large ring.... another thing to consider.
Old 02-18-17, 03:54 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Okay, now I'm thinking that you need to up your budget and go for a Gruber Assist.
Have you no shame... researching it right now. Not sure if anyone here from Georgia is familiar with the Highland Pointe (I think this is the name) neighborhood in Cobb County? Incredibly steep ride - the look on my nephew's face watching me fly past him up those hills would be priceless.
Old 02-18-17, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Have you no shame... researching it right now. Not sure if anyone here from Georgia is familiar with the Highland Pointe (I think this is the name) neighborhood in Cobb County? Incredibly steep ride - the look on my nephew's face watching me fly past him up those hills would be priceless.
It might be fun... but expensive. Although, not "real". So... yes, you might win, but not true wins.

If the two of you train together, it could certainly be a valuable assist for your training. Just don't take it to any race venues, even if he never rides the bike, it would not be good to have it near the race bikes.

With a million screaming fans, it likely can't be heard. But, I would wonder if it is silent with two people riding on back country roads. It might be pretty obvious to hear the whine of the motor overtaking one.
Old 02-18-17, 05:49 PM
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Sorry, but I think a realistic goal by now is just trying to not get dropped...
Old 02-18-17, 06:06 PM
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
How many hours per week do you ride currently?

Have you been riding regularly for a number of years?

If the answer is "less than 8 hrs per week" or "less than 5 years" then you still have plenty of upside at your age.
Old 02-18-17, 08:32 PM
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
You need to play to your strengths, maybe change the course.
I cannot match my 28 year old nephew for speed on any terrain, but if the 'race' is more than 100km, I never lose.
Old 02-18-17, 08:46 PM

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
As others have alluded to, you need more training, not a new bike, OP. As the old saying goes, if you were to trade your bike with Eddy Merckx, who do you think would win a race between the two of you? Practice makes perfect.
Old 02-18-17, 08:47 PM

Bikes: Giant TCR SL 1, Niner Air 9, Motobecane Fantom Cross Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What is the average speed over the 20 miles? Do you clip in?
Old 02-18-17, 09:05 PM
-:-

Bikes: Moots Vamoots CR

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lower his seat about 1/2 of an inch. Pump water into his tires.
Old 02-18-17, 09:07 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by f4rrest
How many hours per week do you ride currently?

Have you been riding regularly for a number of years?

If the answer is "less than 8 hrs per week" or "less than 5 years" then you still have plenty of upside at your age.
Not even close to that - the only time I ride my road bike is racing my nephew for about an hour each week. I probably average an additional 2 hours a week on my mountain bike.

Suppose I add a road biking training session each week... any suggestions on how to make the most of the training? Should I just hit the same course as we plan to race that week and go full bore?
Old 02-18-17, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by exmechanic89
As the old saying goes, if you were to trade your bike with Eddy Merckx, who do you think would win a race between the two of you?
Good Question.

He was born in 1945, and is 71 1/2 years old.
And hasn't raced as a Pro since 1978.

Eddy Merckx | Cyclist

Although he certainly has continued to be active with the bike world over the decades. But, it also looks like he has gained about 50 pounds from his former racing weight.
Old 02-18-17, 09:10 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by deex
What is the average speed over the 20 miles? Do you clip in?
Not sure about my average speed - my guess is about 20mph. I do clip in, but use mountain bike SPD cleats if that makes a significant difference.
Old 02-18-17, 09:12 PM

Not even close to that - the only time I ride my road bike is racing my nephew for about an hour each week. I probably average an additional 2 hours a week on my mountain bike.

Suppose I add a road biking training session each week... any suggestions on how to make the most of the training? Should I just hit the same course as we plan to race that week and go full bore?
Mix it up a bit. Any hills or mountains or overpasses or steep bridges that you can go over? Big parking structures?

What about bike commuting? That would get you on the bike 5 days a week or so. And then you could try pounding on a few of those rides.
Old 02-18-17, 09:13 PM

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Good Question.

He was born in 1945, and is 71 1/2 years old.
And hasn't raced as a Pro since 1978.

Eddy Merckx | Cyclist

Although he certainly has continued to be active with the bike world over the decades. But, it also looks like he has gained about 50 pounds from his former racing weight.
I'm still going with Merckx.

I just read a book about him, btw. Pretty interesting life he had. Back on topic though - PRACTICE!
Old 02-18-17, 09:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mix it up a bit. Any hills or mountains or overpasses or steep bridges that you can go over? Big parking structures?

What about bike commuting? That would get you on the bike 5 days a week or so. And then you could try pounding on a few of those rides.
Commuting is not an option. But, I'm convinced by all the advice that I need to get in more road miles... I just need to find the time.
Old 02-18-17, 09:26 PM

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
I'm more curious about how fat you are than your equipment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.