Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Back and Front Tooth Ratio is Fastest???

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What Back and Front Tooth Ratio is Fastest???

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-19, 09:11 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by allout1
Some back:front gear ratios are better than others, right?
If you put a Ferrari transmission into a Yugo or something similar do you think it would go 150 MPH? Of course not because it doesn't have enough power. Bicycles are the same.
Old 04-02-19, 09:20 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I find the fastest way to get to top speed is to start in a high gear. Start in 52x17, then click towards the 12 as needed.
That works for me, but you have to have the ability to apply an awful lot of torque before that is efficient. I suspect the answer for best starting gear combo is going to vary a lot with the rider's capabilities and strengths.
Old 04-02-19, 09:22 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,519 Times in 2,861 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Yeah, no big deal. If a hummingbird can.....
One day on my usual route, I thought I had a pretty good pace going when I got passed by a little chick spinning an incredible cadence.
As I struggled to keep up, I was curious what her cadence really was, so I downshifted until I matched it.
She was spinning 120rpm, and was still doing that as she cruised away from me!
Old 04-02-19, 09:25 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
Some folks can really spin. I ride fixed and sometimes find myself in a descent with little opportunity to shave off speed. At about 125-130 rpms, I get a little raggedy...
Old 04-02-19, 09:29 AM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OP, set your 2 bikes against a wall , step back 5 paces.. wait & watch ,

1st one that moves on its own, must be the fastest ..
Old 04-02-19, 09:30 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
One day on my usual route, I thought I had a pretty good pace going when I got passed by a little chick spinning an incredible cadence.
As I struggled to keep up, I was curious what her cadence really was, so I downshifted until I matched it.

I'm guessing she wasn't running 52x13, though!

I can't even relate to riding like that.
Old 04-02-19, 10:38 AM
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I could actually follow that, thanks!

Do you adjust the formula if you're using a wheel with other than a 27" diameter or is that just a convention?
The beauty and point of gear inches is that the wheel diameter is baked in, so 72 gear inches is the same gearing whether you're on 16" wheels or 27" wheels.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-02-19, 11:10 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
Tandem with a good stoker and 54/11 gearing is the closest i’ve come to 40mph on the flats.
Old 04-02-19, 02:45 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12778 Post(s)
Liked 7,695 Times in 4,084 Posts

Do you adjust the formula if you're using a wheel with other than a 27" diameter or is that just a convention?
​​​​​​My wheels with 622mm rims and 28mm tires on are about 27". I run my 32s kinda soft, so they're about 27" effective when I'm on the bike
Old 04-02-19, 02:53 PM

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
What's a good back:front tooth ratio and gear stepping system from standstill to top speed on road bikes?

I have seen that some riders are taking road bikes up to 40+ mph. I'm just looking for the 30+ mph range on the road, and I'm not looking for expensive produce or parts. I don't care how old or what it looks like to be honest as long as it stays together, handles, and gets to top speed rapidly.

Some back:front gear ratios are better than others, right? I'm messing with two bikes right now which are just older road bikes that have mountain and cruiser features. They're just fun and project bikes. I noted on the second one I bought yesterday that it was going much faster with very minimal effort compared to what the first one could do without much more effort. The first one is 21spd and the second, faster one is 18spd, however I don't believe the number of sprocks but the number of teeth matters.
All of that depends on you and how strong/fit you are. Getting up to 30mph is one thing easily done....sustaining it solo is another matter entirely.
Old 04-02-19, 02:56 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts

Yes, but if you are riding normal 700c tires, 27" is plenty accurate enough (unless you are a junior and the race official does a rollout. There it matters. The bike is either legal or it is not.) I use the old 27" for all my 700c tires. But very large tires are slower, so I knock my gearing down, usually a tooth. Very fast (and usually small) tires, I might go up a tooth. It all works out. 27 is a number that allows me to calculate gear ratios in my head. Long rides give me plenty of time to do that.
Old 04-02-19, 03:09 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
In 1972, Eddy Merckx set the one-hour world record turning (according to Wiki) 104 gear inches. So my answer to the original question is that 52T in front and 13T in the rear should be plenty fast for you. Actual mileage may vary.
OP talked about the optimum gearing for 0-30, so it seems like kilo gearing is more apt. I think a lot of kilo riders use a 50-15 or thereabouts.

FWIW, I will do drag race intervals during crit season where I'll alternate big (53x16) and small ring sprints (38x15) and try to go 0-30 as quickly as possible. On the big ring, the challenge is at the start to get on top of the gear as quickly as possible. On the small ring, the challenge is at the end to keep my feet moving and the gear engaged before spinning out.
Old 04-02-19, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
My suggestion is to look up how gear ratios are calculated for bikes... there are a few different terms, but a common one is "gear inches," which is the number of inches that you move for one complete revolution of the pedals. Also think about "cadence" which is revolutions per minute of your pedals. There are online calculators that will work these things out for you, along with things like the speed that you can ride for a particular gear combination at a particular cadence.

This is practically pure math, which scares some people, but is not really all that difficult. There's no absolute answer because each rider has their own preferred cadence and top speed. For instance for myself, 30+ mph is unattainable due to wind resistance and my own strength, so I have no use for gearing that can reach that speed.
I was hoping the right gears would put somewhere in the 30's easily.

I'm in shape.

How about wheel size in the ratio of gears? Does that make a difference? And thin tires probably put on a little more speed and acceleration than the average mtb width, eh.
Old 04-02-19, 04:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
The beauty and point of gear inches is that the wheel diameter is baked in, so 72 gear inches is the same gearing whether you're on 16" wheels or 27" wheels.
Okay, but what about the human power involved. To take this to an extreme example, say the tires were four feet across in dia. Yeap, the gearing is the same, however turning the wheel for the person is not. I wonder anybody with experience with the higher diameter wheels has any antidotes to explain.
Old 04-02-19, 04:02 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

I'm in shape.

How about wheel size in the ratio of gears? Does that make a difference?
Yes. Bigger tire makes for taller gearing.

And thin tires probably put on a little more speed and acceleration than the average mtb width, eh.
Yep. The thinner the better. GP4k II come in 20mm.

If you're running sewups, Dugast has 18mm tires.

There used to be 18mm clinchers all over the place, and I think someone still makes 'em, can't think of who, though.

Old 04-02-19, 05:14 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
All of that depends on you and how strong/fit you are. Getting up to 30mph is one thing easily done....sustaining it solo is another matter entirely.
I'm starting urban courier. I have just a few multi mile long flat roads and lots of little left and right turn streets in between that are flat too. That's what I'm working with.

So 2x or 2.5 minute miles is okay with acceleration that is comparable to cars at take off at the stop lights/signs. The main thing is to keep up the pace with traffic on the long mains. I have been riding the ole mountain bikes mostly for style preferences. That's just what I always rode. Whatever. LOL But in this case I need a bike that can pace it with traffic who's going about 35-45 mph.
Old 04-02-19, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
"Gear Inches" is a useful and widely-accepted measure of mechanical advantage when cycling, but it is not the number of inches travelled during one crank revolution. GI is usually calculated as (crank teeth#/sprocket teeth#)*27", 27" being the nominal diameter of a standard bicycle wheel, so, for example, a 52-13 gear would develop a "108" gear". However, wheel circumference, rather than diameter, determines the wheel rollout, or the distance travelled by one wheel revolution, and circumference is 3.14x greater than diameter. The actual distance travelled (in inches) is 3.14-fold greater than the calculated gear inches. Therefore, in the 108 gear inches example above, the bicycle would travel ~339" (108" x 3.14) with one crank revolution.
Ack, I missed that, thanks!

I'm in shape.

How about wheel size in the ratio of gears? Does that make a difference? And thin tires probably put on a little more speed and acceleration than the average mtb width, eh.
Everything matters. Tire width is one of those "all other things being equal" things. Rolling resistance of the tires depends on their width, but also on pressure, tire construction, tread pattern, and possibly the surface that you're riding on. But if you go down the "build me the fastest possible bike" rabbit hole, I won't be following you there, because I'm satisfied with riding at a more sedate speed based on my own abilities.
Old 04-02-19, 05:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Yes. Bigger tire makes for taller gearing.

Yep. The thinner the better. GP4k II come in 20mm.

If you're running sewups, Dugast has 18mm tires.

There used to be 18mm clinchers all over the place, and I think someone still makes 'em, can't think of who, though.
Okay, but these streets are always smooth, and I'll run it up on the side walk to cut a corner, shave an inche, etc. The sidewalks have wanks and jags, so... This kind of stuff was the reason I like the mtb set ups.

What's a good thin tire compromise for the above situation: fast and occasional road jags? It only takes one the wrong way one time, and it's a dented rim and probably a rim pinched tube, eh.
Old 04-02-19, 05:27 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Okay, but these streets are always smooth, and I'll run it up on the side walk to cut a corner, shave an inche, etc. The sidewalks have wanks and jags, so... This kind of stuff was the reason I like the mtb set ups.

What's a good thin tire compromise for the above situation: fast and occasional road jags? It only takes one the wrong way one time, and it's a dented rim and probably a rim pinched tube, eh.
The lack of aero is gonna kill you cruising at 38mph. Just bring 3 wheelsets to work with you everyday.
Old 04-02-19, 05:32 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Ack, I missed that, thanks!

Everything matters...But if you go down the "build me the fastest possible bike" rabbit hole, I won't be following you there, because I'm satisfied with riding at a more sedate speed based on my own abilities.
Hehe, noooo, I don't intend to dump a load of money out for the transportation. The thing that I am dealing with is bike theft, and there's not a way to get me to manage alllllllll of the nit picky details "down the rabbit hole" to just be losing it all in "bike cash" to jerks.

No, I'm just trying to understand some basic science, and then get a formula that I can take to the used market or new for parts and rides now and then.

So I researched the bike seats last night and the angle of body lean and speed increase. I took from Bike Forum people the "what's-what" on gear ratios, wheel dia and width, crank/BB/shell specs, and I have my post clamp bike stand in the mail almost to the house this minute. Hehe.

Just the basics, eh.
Old 04-02-19, 08:21 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm starting urban courier. I have just a few multi mile long flat roads and lots of little left and right turn streets in between that are flat too. That's what I'm working with.

So 2x or 2.5 minute miles is okay with acceleration that is comparable to cars at take off at the stop lights/signs. The main thing is to keep up the pace with traffic on the long mains. I have been riding the ole mountain bikes mostly for style preferences. That's just what I always rode. Whatever. LOL But in this case I need a bike that can pace it with traffic who's going about 35-45 mph.
I don't think 35-45 MPH for several miles is realistic.

-Tim-
Old 04-02-19, 08:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
2’/mi = 30mph. 2.5’/mi = 24mph
Old 04-02-19, 10:16 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by caloso
2’/mi = 30mph. 2.5’/mi = 24mph
I think he's saying that's OK if he hits a light every block, but he wants to keep pace with 35-40mph traffic also
Old 04-02-19, 10:17 PM
cowboy, steel horse, etc

. LOL But in this case I need a bike that can pace it with traffic who's going about 35-45 mph.
Class 3 ebike would be your best bet. Get a couple of extra batteries if you work 8 hour days.
Old 04-03-19, 04:12 AM
Tragically Ignorant

I suggest some sort of JATO device.

35-45 mph running speed is completely unrealistic. If you can do that, quit your day job. Anything but bicycling is a waste of talent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.