Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek SL v SLR differences ?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek SL v SLR differences ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-21, 09:56 AM
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by biker128pedal
If there is a 60cm close by try and go for a test ride. I went a size down to a 58.
My current ride is a 58 and it seems just a touch too small. I shortened the stem by 2 cm and my knees almost hit the bars when I am out of the saddle. Most fitting guides put me in a 60 as my cycling inseam is a bit over 36 inches and I'm over 6'1". I

I'm def gonna test ride something thats gonna cost almost 7K.
Old 08-11-21, 01:55 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,015 Posts
What year? Is that the aluminum frame. I have all my parts from my warranties Madone 5.0. Was looking at the rim brake aluminum frame. I’d need the BB and direct mount brakes. I even have those wheels. Just wish it had rack mounts.

I like your background better than my obligatory garage door.
yep, it is the ALR frame, 2016 version, first year they came out. I was in the LBS one day and they had just gotten some of the ALR's, and I was intrigued to see how they rode. When they opened the box an I saw the Viper Red, I told them, just put the box in my truck . I replaced the bars, stem, and seatpost with FSA SL-K, and I replaced the 5800 105 with Ultegra 6800 I pulled from a frame I was getting rid of. I also replaced the rear mech with a long cage for when I go to the hills so I can run some larger tooth cassettes. I absolutely love this bike, very light, weighs in just under 16 lbs, very smooth riding, in fact, it feels better than some carbon frames I have had. Has spacing for 28mm tires, even with the 6800 brakes. I live in the flat lands of Florida, so I generally stick to 28 tooth or less cassettes and rarely ever use the 23,25, or 28 teeth unless I am going over specific bridges locally. I recently put the Pirelli P Zero Race tires on it...they are very nice.

The fence is Cypress that was a tree one day in Southern Georgia and my fence the next day in Jacksonville. The panels weighed about 200 lbs each with all the moisture they had in them. I painstakingly applied a semi transparent light walnut using a 4" stain brush about 2 months later after it had dried out a little. I had 300 linear ft to do, most was board on board, but this section of is about 65 ft and took me a week by itself, but I thought it came out fantastic.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 08-11-21, 05:19 PM

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
My current ride is a 58 and it seems just a touch too small. I shortened the stem by 2 cm and my knees almost hit the bars when I am out of the saddle. Most fitting guides put me in a 60 as my cycling inseam is a bit over 36 inches and I'm over 6'1". I

I’m the same height with a 35 inch inseam. I road. 60cm before. A 60cm in the Domane had too much seat post. Just saying go try. I too pushed back.

At least with Trek even if you order they have a 30 day return policy.
Old 08-11-21, 06:06 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

I also went down a size for my Domane from a normal 54 to a 52.

Old 08-11-21, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts

My height is 6' and my cycling inseam is 36 inches so I have almost the same proportions as you. I ride a size 58 Domane SL5, but took a different approach to shorten the reach. I kept the 100mm stem but swapped out the stock 100mm reach handlebars for short 75mm reach handlebars, so no issues with my knees almost hitting the bars when I'm out of the saddle.
Old 08-11-21, 07:32 PM
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I’m the same height with a 35 inch inseam. I road. 60cm before. A 60cm in the Domane had too much seat post. Just saying go try. I too pushed back.

At least with Trek even if you order they have a 30 day return policy.
What do you mean by too much seat post ? This info is very relevant because I suffered a very serious (almost fatal) neck injury in December and I can't crane my neck up to see ahead of me in an aero position. I literally broke my neck and dislocated my head!! I have to use a more upright position and size will be very important. After about 2-3 hours on my 2.3 my neck is feeling it so fit will be crucial. I figure an endurance geometry us what I need. I can mountain bike with far less pain but am a roadie at heart.
Old 08-11-21, 08:00 PM

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 4, ~1996 Mongoose Crossway 4.50

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 434 Posts
Keep and eye out for the 2022 models. You may want to order earlier.
Not sure if these high-end road bikes are different, but I can tell you that my large LBS isn't getting any 2022 FX3s until April 2022, and arrival of the 2022 FX Sport Carbon 4 is currently unknown. These bikes were ordered months ago. They told me that orders placed now are scheduled to be fulfilled in November 2022. They showed me these dates on their online order page.

Mark
Old 08-11-21, 08:19 PM

The main hold up are the components from Shimano and SRAM and some tires. Frames seem to be in high supply.

Old 08-11-21, 08:22 PM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
What do you mean by too much seat post ? This info is very relevant because I suffered a very serious (almost fatal) neck injury in December and I can't crane my neck up to see ahead of me in an aero position. I literally broke my neck and dislocated my head!! I have to use a more upright position and size will be very important. After about 2-3 hours on my 2.3 my neck is feeling it so fit will be crucial. I figure an endurance geometry us what I need. I can mountain bike with far less pain but am a roadie at heart.
There are two "seat mast" sizes for the current Trek Domane - short and tall. Size 56 and below bikes come standard with the short seat mast. Size 58 and above bikes come standard with the tall seat mast. It's listed in the specs if you look closely, but other than that Trek hasn't done a very good job of making this fact clear to potential buyers. Many shop staff don't realize it either.

"I’m the same height with a 35 inch inseam. <> A 60cm in the Domane had too much seat post."

I assume this means the tall "seat mast" combined with the size 60 seat tube meant the saddle couldn't be lowered enough to accommodate his inseam. Swapping out the tall seat mast for a short seat mast would have likely rectified this.
Likes For Kabuto:
Old 08-12-21, 05:55 PM

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuto
There are two "seat mast" sizes for the current Trek Domane - short and tall. Size 56 and below bikes come standard with the short seat mast. Size 58 and above bikes come standard with the tall seat mast. It's listed in the specs if you look closely, but other than that Trek hasn't done a very good job of making this fact clear to potential buyers. Many shop staff don't realize it either.

"I’m the same height with a 35 inch inseam. <> A 60cm in the Domane had too much seat post."

I assume this means the tall "seat mast" combined with the size 60 seat tube meant the saddle couldn't be lowered enough to accommodate his inseam. Swapping out the tall seat mast for a short seat mast would have likely rectified this.
When I test road a 56cm they put on a tall seat mast. With the 58cm the tall is almost too tall. For a 60 cm I needed a short. But you are correct Trek is not very clear on the sizing and the seat mast. For my 58ccm I may go to a 110mm stem in the future. The stock 100mm is a tad short. Still deciding.