Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

On this "Sears" you'll never get dropped...armed w/ "photon torpedos"

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

On this "Sears" you'll never get dropped...armed w/ "photon torpedos"

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-19, 06:07 AM
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 633 Posts
My hearing aid and pacemaker both use that type of battery! Time to stock up!
Old 10-14-19, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2364 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 1,193 Posts
^^^^ Must be a huge hearing aid..... (and a very efficient and serviceable pacemaker....)
Old 10-14-19, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
Yes you could carry a buddy on the rear steel racks of that era, and if the rear hub bolt was long enough and he had a stiff leather soled shoe the ends of the rear hub bolt could be caught by the edge of the shoe and you could stand up.

With a front wire basket full of water balloons you then became a veritable roving menace to the neighborhood.

Think war chariot with driver and spear thrower.

Ah, the imagination before the coming of internet gaming.
Old 10-14-19, 02:26 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I already have a 12V LED fixture in that tank and there are AA battery packs at the local hobby shop for that (9V or chain 2 6V), It's also not like I can't find a couple low voltage ones and use a small C or D holder like I already have for those, no special batteries required.

Simplemente. I have lots of stuff like that.
Old 10-14-19, 05:03 PM

CR2032 isn't exactly a "special" battery. They're in tens of millions of car remotes, etc. Almost literally a dime a dozen. OTOH, they are disposable. At least with C or AA/AAA, you can buy NiMH rechargeables. Only downside is the size; hidden in the tank, they take up precious space that would otherwise hold dilithium crystals.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 10-14-19, 05:16 PM
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
CR2032 isn't exactly a "special" battery. They're in tens of millions of car remotes, etc. Almost literally a dime a dozen. OTOH, they are disposable. At least with C or AA/AAA, you can buy NiMH rechargeables. Only downside is the size; hidden in the tank, they take up precious space that would otherwise hold dilithium crystals.
Make sure you don't accidentally breach the warp core with that refit.

-Kurt

Old 10-20-19, 09:10 PM
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

And beyond watches, calculators and PCs the drain from using them for lighting would suck them dry in no time flat. CR2032 is a battery for low-drain devices.
Old 10-21-19, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rollfast
And beyond watches, calculators and PCs the drain from using them for lighting would suck them dry in no time flat. CR2032 is a battery for low-drain devices.
We have a handful of small blinkies that use either CR2016s or CR2032s. Something about the size that someone would hide behind the lenses of some old "tanker bike" lights/reflectors.
Old 10-27-19, 10:33 PM
What happened?

We have a handful of small blinkies that use either CR2016s or CR2032s. Something about the size that someone would hide behind the lenses of some old "tanker bike" lights/reflectors.
Since mine was modified for a 12V LED assembly, highly impractical and the 3V setup I gather it originally had lends itself much better to 2 D cells, which are normally bright enough with Delta Rocket Rays etc. and I have 6-7 of them. 2 Ds also last a decent amount of time, even the dollar store super heavy duty varieties. I have fairly good results with Sunbeams. Nicads and NiMH are a really bad idea in cold climates as they will turn to MUSH on a winter's day, personal experience and I lost a really nice bullet light on a Schwinn like that after it snowed about 25 years ago.

Lithium button cells do not compare to the cheap Bells that use 3 AAAs, mine made it through Snowmageddon in 2017 even though I couldn't ride in that mess, they lit up in daily testing for about 2-3 months. And you really don't want something as potentially as hazardous as lithium failing in your lights. I took lithium carbonate for over 25 years for medication until it tried to shut down my kidneys in 2012 and then it was discovered that I was AUTISTIC, not BIPOLAR and this all could have been prevented...my kidneys have been on a downward slope ever since...you will have hazardous waste to dispose of including the entire light. That Bell set cost only $15, why bother with anything 'fancy' or just go get antique/vintage if you want that for your antiques, as I do.