Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

sidewalks vs roads

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

sidewalks vs roads

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-17, 06:42 AM

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I previously replied to this recent thread on this perennial subject:As noted above, if I have one piece of advice for riding in the road, it's wear a rearview mirror.
Damn, I'm probably moving to Macomb county in the next year. My parents live in Harrison Township there and the roads are bad, but there is a nice trail to Metro Beach and Jefferson has a nice low speed limit.

For me, like others, if I'm traveling slow (crazy headwind) and there is a big vacant sidewalk, then I'll jump on it. I do get nervous because cars don't check before they pull out in front of a sidewalk.

Last edited by San Pedro; 04-10-17 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-10-17, 07:38 AM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
.. you have no right away crossing roads ...
FYI it's "right of way" which actually makes sense. "right away" doesn't make any sense as a phrase in this context.
Old 04-10-17, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by San Pedro
Damn, I'm probably moving to Macomb county in the next year. My parents live in Harrison Township there and the roads are bad, but there is a nice trail to Metro Beach and Jefferson has a nice low speed limit.

For me, like others, if I'm traveling slow (crazy headwind) and there is a big vacant sidewalk, then I'll jump on it. I do get nervous because cars don't check before they pull out in front of a sidewalk.
Hi San Pedro,

I'm hastening to reply to you about cycling in the Detroit Metro Area...Don't be discouraged. I left Detroit in 1977, and we visit at least twice a year. My sister lives in Harrison Township. I'm focused on the routes to The Metro Beach Bike Path from Fraser, because the bikepath was the most convenient ride in the riding time I had during family vacations. I didn't have a lot of time to explore other routes, though I know the region well.

I think residential streets may well provide nice cycling routes. Lakeshore Drive and smaller roads in the Grosse Pointes are also nice. For longer trips, I rode (sometime on sidewalks) the service drives of I-696 for longer distances. There also is a burgeoning system of Bike Trails, and I found a new one was laid out in Sterling Heights.

I'm sure you will also find an active cycling community. Back in the 1970's, the Wolverine Sports Club produced some Olympian cyclists and speed-skaters. Detroit proper has been touted about its street layouts as a cycling infrastructure. Let me know how you find cycling there.
When I visit the Detroit area, my family is mostly in Macomb County. I usually don't have the time to traverse over to your area [Birmingham], which is certainly gorgeous by car, though I have ridden over to some nice cycling in Rochester Hills to visit my sister.

I have posted about riding the main roads in Macomb County; nonetheless, I do enjoy cycling out there. A joy of commuting for me is to find the best cycling routes, and learn the neighborhoods.

I don't want to sound too hypercritical about cycling in Michigan because that's where I got my start, I still tout it for cycling to this day, and Detroit City Proper is often favorably cited for its cycling infrastructure.
Suggestions for next epic ride

When I first read the title of this thread, I too thought of larger-than-life tours such as a cross-country ride. It seems incongruous to do an epic ride in just nine days, and such an attempt at some o fthe rides suggested seems pretty stressful to me at least

FWIW, after decades I still have fond memories of my earliest cycle touring in my home state of Michigan. Tourism is, I believe Michigan's second largest industry, and it's largely a rural / forested state with a lengthy shoreline, an extensive road system, and numerous towns and facilities, including campgrounds, spaced at convenient cycling distances. IMO, an excellent, though perhaps mundane getaway. Just sayin' (even as a cross-country cyclist)...
Look also at the Great Lakes Regional Discussion thread for further discussion, and check out (google) the Clinton River Riders

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 04-10-17 at 09:31 AM. Reason: added PS