Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 06:37 PM

Bikes: Pinarello FP Due, Cesare track bike modified for the street.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 25 Posts
I rode to and from work today. It was so cold that my Garmin froze 4.6 miles into a 5.5 mile ride! Burrrr.

In the parking lot at work. Schalwbe Spiker tires rock! I owned the polar vortex.
Old 01-30-19, 10:06 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Today I took a day off from work just because.

I rode 52 miles fixed gear @ 17.7 MPH. It was 30° at ride start rising to about 38°.

Those pictures of ice and reports of negative temps are scary.

Originally Posted by bmwjoe
I owned the polar vortex.

Stay safe man!

-Tim-
Old 01-30-19, 11:40 PM
dumb

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Crazy! I know a lot of the country is getting slammed with snow right now... cool to see y’all still mashin them cranks. While I do enjoy pleasant year round cycling here in Az... a part of me always misses winter in the PNW. Especially this year... I didn’t get to go see my family over the holidays. I’m looking forward to getting a hard shell bike case to transport a bike up there for spring or summer though! That and playing as much hockey as humanly possible!!!

Today I went to the lbs and bought a set of mtb bars and vans cult grips for my triple tri bike and threw them on. When I came back into cycling about 6 months ago and started looking at the fixed gear culture again, I couldn’t understand the wide mtb style bars. Then I tried them on my kilo TT right before it was stolen last week and needless to say I’m hooked. I still think it looks goofy as hell, but that leverage is killer! Especially on take offs. Just goes to show that those insanely narrow risers kids were running a decade ago died with the whole ‘trend’ of fixed gear riding.

I also switched tires from a thickslick rear and sworks gripton front to gator skins and WOAH... world of difference. In comparison... the thickslick feels sluggish... almost sticky, and heavy! I liked the Sworks put front, it’s quite light but it’s a bit soft for the streets I think. I still want to try out the vittoria corsa G+... but that won’t be until I build up a new to me Schwinn that our friend Dave aka bonsai is sending me... which I’m also getting excited for and already sourcing parts! I’m still hunting for my stolen kilo... but I’m not hopeful. The planning of a new build is keeping me cheerful though.

I’m also pleased to say that I’ve missed a couple weekend days here and there, but I’ve been cycling almost every day since the new year... which was one of the goals I set for 2019. Mostly to and from my shop, and any errands I didn’t need to haul a car worthy load! I feel pretty good and I’m loosing some of the tummy I built up last year being lazy and driving or riding the motorcycle. The only thing I could wish for is that some of the crap roads around here be fixed, and that half my commute to and from my shop wasn’t in gang banger ‘hood. Woooohoo!

Last edited by mouse; 01-31-19 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-30-19, 11:56 PM
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 142 Post(s)
Quoted: 2679 Post(s)
Liked 3,205 Times in 1,687 Posts
Yeah, some of the roads south of downtown are not the best. I rode out to Madera on my first day out there and the roads were crap until Sahuarita.
Old 01-31-19, 12:03 AM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by mouse
a new to me Schwinn that our friend Dave aka bonsai is sending me...
Dave is a mensch.

He lives four miles from me and I've ridden that Schwinn.

-Tim-
Old 01-31-19, 12:09 AM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Dave is a mensch.

He lives four miles from me and I've ridden that Schwinn.

-Tim-
He’s a stand up gentleman for sure, was there in a snap to help any way he could. Glad he’s in this small community we’ve got goin here on BF. I’m super greatful to have the opportunity to give his Schwinn a new take on life. I think you guys will like what I have planned!

Last edited by mouse; 01-31-19 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-31-19, 10:36 AM
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
I’m super greatful to have the opportunity to give his Schwinn a new take on life. I think you guys will like what I have planned!
What else are you looking for to bring the project together?
Old 01-31-19, 01:03 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
What else are you looking for to bring the project together?
At this point all I have to throw at it are a set of omniums, seatpost, saddle, bars, and a color in mind. The rest is somewhat up in the air. I don't want to put a TON of money into it as this will be my lock up - grocery getter... but I still want quality components. I think next I'll focus on a wheel set... so hubs and hoops are next on the checklist.
Old 01-31-19, 11:10 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Scored a set of second hand Omniums at well under half the price of new with a sw8 bling bling gold all city chainring for the mentioned upcoming build. Dunno if the chainring will be put to use being its rather small (45T) and quite ‘flashy’. Time will tell. Crank arms have normal scratches from being ridden, but as most of you know they’ll be cleaned up and polished anyway. Already thinking of designs for custom engraving as well. Lurking eBay and Craig’s religiously for more sweet deals.

I have a njs dura ace 52T chainring with a missing tooth that I acquired with a sugino 75 crank I purchased. Is it a big no-no to run a chainring missing a single tooth?

Last edited by mouse; 02-01-19 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 01:09 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Woke up to a flat tire. So I on my way to my buddies shop to pick up tubes I stopped at the corner taco stand in my neighborhood. YUM!!!
Now I'm working, wishing it was the weekend and I was outside grilling.

Last edited by mouse; 02-01-19 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-01-19, 05:29 PM
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4413 Post(s)
Liked 4,056 Times in 2,704 Posts
I just found out I am going to Chicago in early spring all expenses paid, baby!!!! It pays to be an excellent salesperson, granted I will have to learn more about bike gear and stay in some swanky hotel but I will try to manage. Hopefully you, Chicos? Chicaglydtes? or is it Chicagins? (kidding kidding I love Chi-town) will warm it up by March. I am not asking for a whole lot just at least mid 40s if not 50s?! Also Chicago Diner, prepare yourselves I am coming back and I am hungry (or will be in time for my arrival)
Old 02-01-19, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts

He’s a stand up gentleman for sure, was there in a snap to help any way he could. Glad he’s in this small community we’ve got goin here on BF. I’m super greatful to have the opportunity to give his Schwinn a new take on life. I think you guys will like what I have planned!
Can't wait to see, it will be fun to watch Should have it packed up tonight, hopefully going to the post office tomorrow.

Dave
Old 02-02-19, 01:50 AM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Dust caps finally.

Last edited by mouse; 02-02-19 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-02-19, 03:21 AM

Bikes: Disc Brake Wabi Special, GT Pulse, Fuji Track Beater

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts

Dust caps finally.
matching bar ends. Youre welcome.
Old 02-02-19, 06:48 PM
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Today I did 51.9 MPH on my road bike.

It was pretty intense.

-Tim-
Old 02-02-19, 07:59 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Today I change my cog to a 17t. Back to 70 gear inches.

Dave
Old 02-03-19, 12:53 AM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bonsai171
Today I change my cog to a 17t. Back to 70 gear inches.

Dave
Nice! That’s my go to number for ratio, although I’m at I think 67 something right now on my ‘nice’ bike and I’m having a lot of fun with it. I love going fast but since my motorcycle accident last year I’m finding myself a lot more cautious towards anything excessively fast. Plus spinning faster seems like better cardio... idk if that’s just in my head. Probly.

Yesterday I posted that I stopped by my friends shop to pick up tubes for my flat rear. Well, I had mentioned that my kilo had been stolen. That flat rear tire was a blessing in disguise! Well...sort of. He called me about 2 hours after I had gotten to my shop and said, “hey man, I think I found the kilo”. I knew he probly had it, as it’s not at all stock looking. So I locked up the shop, set the alarm, and hauled ass to his. Sure enough got there and there it was behind the counter! I think I was so happy that I didn’t notice the bad at first. I went back and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. The wheels had been taken off and replaced with some in branded mud covered, warped, and almost non rolling hubs. That really bummed me out because that wheelset was the first I ever built and trued myself. ****, I thought to myself. Then I inspected further. Realized they had either taken or cut off my hood fast straps. Then the worst came. I went to the NDS of the bike and saw that the bottom of the downtube and seat tube where they meet at the BB shell had been CRUSHED. So bad that it had cracked on parts of the downtube weld. I can’t even imagine how that was done! There are plenty of other minor dings and scratches all over the bike and it amazes me how much damage was done in just one week by some piece of SCUM!

Im very thankful that I at least got something back as apposed to nothing but damn! Also thankful to my friend for sticking up for me and what’s right and telling the person who brought it in that it was stolen and that he wasn’t gonna leave with the bicycle. My homie gave me the name and number to the guy who had it but his phone was off all day which is highly suspect. He said he got it off of someone else and that he has their info... but that could all be BS. I’ll give it a couple days before I call again and if I don’t get a response I’ll turn it over to the police. I’m not a fan of this and would rather settle it personally but if that’s not an option I’ll do it.

So! My situation hasn’t changed much... I could probably grind and re weld the cracks, but the tubing would still be crushed and always unsettling as to the safety of riding it. That being said I’m just going to continue with my plans of building up the Schwinn but hopefully save a few bucks in the components I recovered. What a day...
Old 02-03-19, 02:27 AM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PeopleAreIdiots
matching bar ends. Youre welcome.
huh?
Old 02-03-19, 03:06 AM

huh?
haha sorry, I must have not been fully awake yet or something when I wrote that, judging by the time. I just mean that those dust caps would go great with some matching pink bar ends.

Last edited by PeopleAreIdiots; 02-03-19 at 03:10 AM.
Old 02-03-19, 09:24 AM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
haha sorry, I must have not been fully awake yet or something when I wrote that, judging by the time. I just mean that those dust caps would go great with some matching pink bar ends.
ahhhh haha! No worries amigo, I totally agree. I already made some for this bike but I lost one the other day, so making some new ones
Old 02-03-19, 04:55 PM

ahhhh haha! No worries amigo, I totally agree. I already made some for this bike but I lost one the other day, so making some new ones
nice. Cool bike btw. I love triple triangle frames.
Old 02-03-19, 06:28 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

nice. Cool bike btw. I love triple triangle frames.
thanks man! It’s gonna get stripped and painted once I get another bike rolling.

Just got home from the bike co op and scored some treasures. Some nice sets of bars, a simple origin 8 stem that I’m gonna fancy up, and a KILLER NOS turbo matic with all original packaging! I almost didn’t believe it when I looked behind the counter. Good day.

Old 02-03-19, 09:30 PM

thanks man! It’s gonna get stripped and painted once I get another bike rolling.

Just got home from the bike co op and scored some treasures. Some nice sets of bars, a simple origin 8 stem that I’m gonna fancy up, and a KILLER NOS turbo matic with all original packaging! I almost didn’t believe it when I looked behind the counter. Good day.
Wow man. Nice find!

You lock this bike up right? I'd secure that saddle to the frame with a bit of extra bike chain if I were you. Just for extra security.
Old 02-03-19, 10:19 PM
dumb

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow man. Nice find!

You lock this bike up right? I'd secure that saddle to the frame with a bit of extra bike chain if I were you. Just for extra security.
I don’t even risk locking this bike up. It stays inside with me at home or at work. If I’m going somewhere I know I’ll have to lock up, say the grocery store or whatever... I’ll ride another bike. I’m definately gonna invest in some of those special anti theft bolts and loop some chain on the bike that does get locked up though!
Old 02-03-19, 10:46 PM

I don’t even risk locking this bike up. It stays inside with me at home or at work. If I’m going somewhere I know I’ll have to lock up, say the grocery store or whatever... I’ll ride another bike. I’m definately gonna invest in some of those special anti theft bolts and loop some chain on the bike that does get locked up though!
oh ok haha. I was getting nervous for a second. Especially with that front wheel too. Seems like that would be a theft magnet.

Last edited by PeopleAreIdiots; 02-03-19 at 11:47 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.