Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking about downsizing my bike inventory

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Thinking about downsizing my bike inventory

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 12:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Banzai
Well, I'm thinking about doing the unspeakable, and getting rid of my road bike (a CAAD9 w/ SRAM Red) and just using my CX bike for road.
I agonized over this exact same question earlier in the year. My decision: keep all the bikes. The main deciding factor was that during Cyclocross racing season, the CX bike is set up significantly different than what I'd want for road -- 1x10 instead of 2x10, different stem, different saddle, different wheels (enough to affect canti adjustment) and overall different fit. I didn't want my road riding to be limited during that four months of the year and I definitely didn't want to be mucking with setup every couple weeks, so I decided to keep the road bike and leave the CX bike (mostly) dedicated to CX racing. If I wasn't racing and could just keep an all-road setup year round, I probably would have sold off the road bike.
Old 03-10-16, 12:50 PM

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
Well, I'm thinking about doing the unspeakable, and getting rid of my road bike (a CAAD9 w/ SRAM Red) and just using my CX bike for road. A couple of reasons:

1) I've been on a quest to simplify life lately.
2) This past summer I set my fastest 100 mile time ever on my CX bike, running it with road wheels/tires.

Which, of course, illustrated the fact that - properly configured - my CX bike has no discernible performance disadvantages compared to my road bike. Maybe if I were a pro, or even a Cat 2, those seconds would matter, but it's clear to me that the differences are in seconds, not in minutes.

Just random thought to share in an internet vacuum. Anyone else done this? (CX bike only, not shared random thoughts. I'm sure we've all done the latter.)
If you don't race it makes sense.
Old 03-10-16, 02:30 PM

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have 6 in the garage (one is the wife's), and want two more. A couple never get used, but I don't see myself getting rid of them any time soon. Oneo f the main reasons I got a 3 car garage was to never have to get rid of a bike against my will!
Old 03-10-16, 02:57 PM
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I still regret giving away my 1979 Nishiki Competition, and that was more than ten years ago.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-10-16, 03:09 PM
Boots lost in transit

Bikes: 1989 Ritchey Outback, 2014 All-City Macho Man Disc, 2016 Wilier GTS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by garciawork
I have 6 in the garage (one is the wife's), and want two more. A couple never get used, but I don't see myself getting rid of them any time soon. Oneo f the main reasons I got a 3 car garage was to never have to get rid of a bike against my will!
Space is probably the biggest hindrance to my hoarding habits. My garage is too small, and my house isn't really set up to store bikes inside.

I get envious of all of these people to take pictures of bikes on the walls of their living rooms, and of garages dedicated to two-wheeled love.

I should build a shed.
Old 03-10-16, 06:05 PM

Bikes: '11 Merlin Extralight, '98 Dean Castanza, '89 Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Inpd
I'm curious how you choose which to ride on a given day? Do you just rotate them or is it a case of horses for courses.
My bikes: https://www.pedalroom.com/members/link0

Two of my road bikes are bikes I only take out for the rare group ride, because I'm super anal about keeping them absolutely spotless. They are mainly just wall decoration and for my collection. I would never lock them outside.

The other two road bikes are high end vintage steel bikes with many updated components. However, they both still have DT shifters. I alternate between them for commuting to work every few months. I'm okay with locking them at the parking garage at work. One is a size 52 and the other is a 55, so they handle differently.

The two single speeds (KHS Flite and Surly Steamroller) are less expensive, so I'll ride them to the pub/coffeeshop and lock outside without as much worry about theft.

Last edited by link0; 03-10-16 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Don't do it man. You'll regret it. I've thought long and hard selling the supersiX EVO ever since I purchased the SLATE, and I'm glad I didn't. I've fallen in love with it all over again these past few weeks.
Old 03-10-16, 06:42 PM
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Dude, you only have two bikes. You're not exactly a hoarder. I'd drop the downsizing notion immediately and move on to thinking about something more constructive.
Old 03-10-16, 07:40 PM

Bikes: 2004 Felt F90, Sette Ace 26" MB, Specialized Shiv TT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had similar thoughts this year. I have a road bike, TT bike and a 26" dual suspension MB. Then I realized I'm about to get married and have kids. I doubled down and bought new gear. Have you considered using reverse strategy and buying another?
Old 03-11-16, 08:10 AM
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by guy2600
I had similar thoughts this year. I have a road bike, TT bike and a 26" dual suspension MB. Then I realized I'm about to get married and have kids. I doubled down and bought new gear. Have you considered using reverse strategy and buying another?
Ha! I'm almost afraid that's where it's leading! I really want to get a Brompton for all my travels. And I've been mulling over whether I really "need" a fat bike or not.

Current quiver includes:
CAAD 9
Ritchey Cross
A utility bike built on a Nashbar frame with an IGH/dynamo/fenders/all the nerdy stuff.

But I have been doing a hardcore purge of all the unnecessary things in my life, and my century performance on my Ritchey has forced me to potentially lump my CAAD 9 into the "unnecessary" category.

The Ritchey really is darn near to an N=1 bike. I run an Ultegra triple crank on it, with a fairly tight cassette. With road wheels at road events, I pretty much only use the big and middle rings. With cross wheels at cross events I just keep it locked in the middle ring and it's nearly perfect for any course. Riding trails, it's 40mm tires and the middle and inner ring.

But then I look at my CAAD 9, and wonder how I could get rid of it? However, I've wondered that with other possessions, and once gone, I felt rather liberated.