Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicycle vs red light vs bus

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicycle vs red light vs bus

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Indeed. It looks to me like he's still pedaling well after the light turns red. He was blowing the light pure and simple.
According to the comments, he was using back pressure to slow down with the fixie (broken front brake, and no rear brake). The pedals would still turn unless skidding.
Old 05-27-15, 01:50 PM
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Offered without comment, opinion or agenda. Feel free to use this as an example to make any point you wish.

https://www.highwaysindustry.com/video-cyclist-ignores-red-light-but-cant-ignore-bus/ .

I'd like to take this opportunity to remind people that it's best to make sure no busses (or other things they don't want to hit or be hit by) are coming before they haul tail trough an intersection, no matter what color the traffic light is.
Old 05-27-15, 01:51 PM
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by CliffordK
According to the comments, he was using back pressure to slow down with the fixie (broken front brake, and no rear brake). The pedals would still turn unless skidding.
I have often wondered why fixies have found so much favor in the city riding environment.
Old 05-27-15, 01:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Is there a particular "good" reason why you'd choose to have only one brake?
Old 05-27-15, 01:58 PM

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gmm213
The speed he was moving and the obviousness that he was slamming that bus makes me believe that something did go wrong with his braking.
That's the impression I get too. Center punching a bus in an attempt to shoot a gap is even beyond my ability to screw up.
Old 05-27-15, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have often wondered why fixies have found so much favor in the city riding environment.
Those of us that ride geared bikes may never truly understand the fixies.

On a track, one can set the gearing to best match one's maximum effort.

Many cities are relatively flat with a few overpasses, so within the city, one may never truly need to change gears. A few overpasses for a bit of effort.

The idea of decreasing effort, but never truly stopping pedaling may be a good idea.

Originally Posted by gpburdell
One saves a few grams.

I'm not a fixie rider, but one should be able to backpedal to the point of skidding, so a rear brake should be unnecessary (you can't brake beyond a skid), but I wonder if one's braking power is as uneven as one's pedaling power strokes, and thus one doesn't get maximum braking with backpedaling. Undoubtedly they prefer to use the pedals to adjust the speed.
Old 05-27-15, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Ouch.

Old 05-27-15, 02:26 PM
For The Fun of It

Those of us that ride geared bikes may never truly understand the fixies.

On a track, one can set the gearing to best match one's maximum effort.

Many cities are relatively flat with a few overpasses, so within the city, one may never truly need to change gears. A few overpasses for a bit of effort.

The idea of decreasing effort, but never truly stopping pedaling may be a good idea.

One saves a few grams.

I'm not a fixie rider, but one should be able to backpedal to the point of skidding, so a rear brake should be unnecessary (you can't brake beyond a skid), but I wonder if one's braking power is as uneven as one's pedaling power strokes, and thus one doesn't get maximum braking with backpedaling. Undoubtedly they prefer to use the pedals to adjust the speed.

I live in one of those flat cities. There's no way I would ride in the city on a bike without front and rear brakes and the ability to coast. There's certainly no real advantage to it and there re plenty disadvantages. But I am old, have bad knees and am somewhat risk averse, so take that for what it's worth.
Old 05-27-15, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Interesting. I wonder how much backpedal torque would be needed to approach locking the rear wheel. I suppose effectively the same as the forward torque to accelerate to the same degree -- at first thought I'd guess that without extensive practice most wouldn't be able to brake nearly as effectively as with a rim brake? Could be wrong though.
Old 05-27-15, 02:46 PM
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At the same website. There is this link: New Study Says Driverless Cars Will Consume More Fuel Highways Industry

Hmmmmm........
Old 05-27-15, 02:48 PM

Interesting. I wonder how much backpedal torque would be needed to approach locking the rear wheel. I suppose effectively the same as the forward torque to accelerate to the same degree -- at first thought I'd guess that without extensive practice most wouldn't be able to brake nearly as effectively as with a rim brake? Could be wrong though.
Hmmm... I'm seeing notes suggesting leaning forward to initiate a rear skid, so perhaps the braking power is somewhat lacking.

I can break my rear wheel loose on a hill climb on wet pavement, and obviously it is easy to do on gravel, so assuming the same back pedal force, one is probably close to skidding without a weight shift, especially on wet pavement, but maximum stopping force would assume uniform braking power which it probably isn't.
Old 05-27-15, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chris516
At the same website. There is this link: New Study Says Driverless Cars Will Consume More Fuel Highways Industry

Hmmmmm........
I wonder if they will change the minimum driving age for the autonomous cars?

A 10 yr old should be able to jump into the car and be driven to school.

It is an interesting point though... will we reach a point where half the driving is with EMPTY cars? ZERO passengers?
Old 05-27-15, 02:52 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
It's a zen thing -- if it has to be explained, you wouldn't understand it anyway.*

1) Because you can apply backpressure to the pedals on a fixed gear bike to effect change of speed, i.e. braking. 2) On a traditional diamond frame bike, most braking and most effective braking is with the front brake, which is what the street-riding fixed gear crowd mainly favor.

There's a thing fixed gear riders do called skidding, whereby they lock up the rear wheel by slightly unweighting it at the same time, to effect a skid. Since a skidding tire produces less braking force and less controlled braking than a rim brake, I'd venture to guess that is is not as effective as a rim brake.

*Rode fixed in a city for a year, about a decade ago; gave it up because I am old.
Old 05-27-15, 03:02 PM

Bikes: 2015 Fuji Feather, MSC fixed gear

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me it keeps me from coasting, which helps with the exercise part which was a big reason for me to start riding. Back home I would never ride a fixie because its all hills and even the geared bike guys work there *** off to ride around. Its helps that cities tend to have the latest trends first as well as a lot of documentaries give credit to messengers for making them popular and you only find them in the cities.

\

Not really an advantage, just no need. Even when I had a rear brake I rarely used it. Isnt it like something of your breaking is 70% front brake? A lot of people go to fixies because of simplicity and that would be one less thing. Though I cant get the no brake thing, especially in San Fran. That seems just down right ********.
Old 05-27-15, 04:22 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
I once slipped through a local red light while my mind was occupied with something and I became absent-minded for just a minute. I was wondering why a car next to me had stopped. After I passed and looked at the mirror I realized the light had turned red. Fortunately I rode slow (virtually "walked" through to many of you roadies) and it was a small street with no car crossing, no consequence. But I learned my lesson never to be absent-minded on the road.
Old 05-27-15, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
If you read the comments on the Youtube video, the cyclist posted up. He was trying to time the light, when he realized he wouldn't, he got on his front brake and his cable snapped and the back brake couldn't stop him in time.
???

He's well ahead of the intersection when the light turned yellow. And fairly well-ahead of the intersection when the light turned red.

It seems he delayed braking too late.

If he had started braking when the light turned yellow, there's a good chance he would have stopped before the intersection (even with a broken front cable).

It appears that the conditions were wet (which means braking is less effective).

Apparently, it's a fixie/whatever with only a front brake. The problem with a broken front cable might point to not having a rear brake as being not a very good idea.
Old 05-27-15, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by gmm213
Though I cant get the no brake thing, especially in San Fran. That seems just down right ********.
With TomTom sending me up 17th street (17% grade) (yes, bicycle directions), I don't get one speeds. Then again, I assume it was just a Dutch oversight, rather than a Dutch joke.

I assume the locals know not to go down (or up) some streets of San Francisco.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 05-27-15 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-27-15, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,364 Times in 945 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Indeed. It looks to me like he's still pedaling well after the light turns red. He was blowing the light pure and simple.
Apparently, it's a fixie. His legs are (mostly) always going to be moving even when he's not pedaling.
Old 05-27-15, 04:58 PM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I once slipped through a local red light while my mind was occupied with something and I became absent-minded for just a minute. I was wondering why a car next to me had stopped. After I passed and looked at the mirror I realized the light had turned red. Fortunately I rode slow (virtually "walked" through to many of you roadies) and it was a small street with no car crossing, no consequence. But I learned my lesson never to be absent-minded on the road.
Whoa...Lucky break indeed.

I use stopped cars and pedestrians as a signal for me to stop or at least slow way down. Once, at a MUP intersection, a walker stopped dead. I did too, even though I did not see anything--at first. Low and behold, there came a fast-moving little sports car out of the gleam of a distant mirage.
Old 05-27-15, 05:17 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
I didn't see the comments in the video I looked at. I guess then my opinion would be, style over function.
Old 05-27-15, 06:32 PM

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I might jump a green, but never if there is cross traffic.

scott s.
Old 05-28-15, 01:15 AM

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I'm glad everyone is relatively unharmed.
Originally Posted by Doohickie
If you read the comments on the Youtube video, the cyclist posted up. He was trying to time the light, when he realized he wouldn't, he got on his front brake and his cable snapped and the back brake couldn't stop him in time.
I've had a front brake cable snap. I immediately dropped both my feet onto the street and used the soles of my shoes as brake pads. Doing that was still much shorter stopping distance than using the rear brake alone.
Old 05-28-15, 03:55 AM

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow. Never had a cable snap. Had a few pads wear down in a single ride while decending down long steep hills and noticed the cable was too long to work properly though.
Old 05-28-15, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
The red light is irrelevant. Just don't run into something, and try to avoid putting yourself in a position where you'll be run into.
Old 05-28-15, 06:28 AM
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I had a brake cable snap one time, I was on the way to the shop while pushing my tandem. So I had three working brakes, just none of them available to use. That was exciting, but it didn’t end up being a problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.