Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Why do I always feel crooked when riding? please help

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Why do I always feel crooked when riding? please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 12:31 AM

Bikes: '85 Univega Safari-Ten (fixed), '84 Univega Supra-Sport, '85 Univega Gran Turismo, '86 Bianch Giro, '93 Cannondale R300, '68 Raleigh Gran-Prix (S3X fixed), '74 Schwinn Sprint (fixed), '5? Raleigh Lenton, '73 Raleigh Sprite, '36 Three Spires... etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you ride it no handed? In my experience, that's usually a fairly good indication of whether or not there's something wrong. In addition to that, it would effectively take your mismatched arms out of the equation. My thinking is that if you feel like your bike is pulling hard in one direction, it's probably doing exactly that. I've got several old bikes. Some of them track perfectly straight, and some of them try their damndest to flop to one side unless I fight against them. Sometimes it's obvious frame damage, and sometimes it's hard to get to the bottom of. In any case, I suggest you take it to a good shop and ask them for their opinion. It might even be an easy fix.
Old 10-28-09, 07:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
XT/XTR on a SS or fixed? Cranks? Anyway, do you feel this way on all bikes? If yes then you probably have something with the physical anomaly thing. But, I think it's an outside chance. I mean you are correct that absolutely no one is truly symmetrical but to suffer seriously the condition would have to be serious. You would be aware of such an anomaly for example the first time you had a suit tailored, or purchased off the rack pants or long sleeve shirts. There are probably a thousand life circumstances that would have told you something was up long before now.

On the other hand, a frame or fork that is out of whack sounds much more probable. Stop by a quality LBS and lay your money down.
Old 10-28-09, 08:08 AM

Bikes: Nishiki Sport 10 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the ground is slanted
Old 10-28-09, 08:27 AM
jpdesjar

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Put your left shoe back on or put the u lock in your right pocket.

Old 10-28-09, 08:38 AM
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Have you crashed lately?

Sounds like a bent fork or headtube not inline with rest of frame. If you can't ride no-handed, I'm willing to bet this is it...

Also, did you track nuts slip while tightening the front wheel (causing it to be a little cock-eyed?)...
Old 10-28-09, 09:13 AM
yesterday you said tom.

Bikes: Bianchi Pista 07, Dodici Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can ride with no hands without any problem. This is currently my only bike so I have no way of comparing differences in steering movement. I'm gonna ask my girl to try it out tonight and see how she feels on it. I'm gonna be livid if it's a problem with my frame.
Old 10-28-09, 09:26 AM
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3590 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,935 Posts
Use a chalk string to make a straight line 10m or so long. Put your bike at one end of the line, with both wheels on the line. Holding only the handlebars, walk the bike the length of the line, keeping the front wheel on the line. If the back wheel is no longer tracking on the line, it suggests that your frame is out of alignment.
Old 10-28-09, 11:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate to beat a drum here but your girlfriend is not a calibration gauge. The simple fact is the only way you will know - and therefore know what to fix is to have your frame and fork checked for alignment. I mean, if your girlfriend tell you it feels fine then what is your next move? Going to special hospitals to figure out how to deal with your newly found, aggressive, physical deformities? Off to the LBS now - hurry. Don't forget money. I'm suggesting you hurry in case your burgeoning case of "Elephant Man" moves so quickly you find it impossible to be seen in public before you find out the bike is perfectly aligned. Because, once you know that you can in good conscience sell the bike to help pay for all the experimental drugs and operations you will need. Your girlfriend must be a very special person given full circumstances - I'm sure you feel lucky.
Old 10-28-09, 11:57 AM
senior tarckass

Bikes: 2001 bianchi pista/ affinity low pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if your rocking some bullhorns and you drop your bike a lot, it might be that one side of your handlebar is bent inward a bit; making you feel that your bike looks to be turning in an unintended direction. i had this problem for a while.
Old 10-28-09, 12:09 PM
8 Full Hours of Sleep

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Yeti 575, Italvega Nuovo Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ianjk
Have you crashed lately?

Sounds like a bent fork or headtube not inline with rest of frame. If you can't ride no-handed, I'm willing to bet this is it...

Also, did you track nuts slip while tightening the front wheel (causing it to be a little cock-eyed?)...
plus one.
Old 10-28-09, 12:13 PM
neato

Bikes: 2010 Moto Track

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Carry a boombox on one shoulder. That should level you out and provide everyone within a 50m radius with some (hopefully) nice tunes. Win/Win/Win. Everybody wins.
Old 10-28-09, 12:27 PM
yesterday you said tom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the sarcasm oldfixedguy. I'm gonna just let her ride it so I can get some feedback from another source. I work all week so It's hard for me to get to the LBS, but imma try to go this wknd.

Have you crashed lately?
crashed as in crash into something? if so then no I haven't crashed. However, I did fall off my bike a month or two ago but I didn't sense anything off about my bike directly after that.
Old 10-28-09, 12:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
whitekimchee,

The real upside to taking your bike in to have the frame/fork checked is the LBS will look until they find the problem. Say the frame/fork come out clean - the mechanic will begin looking at the very areas mentioned in this thread. If the bike is offset anywhere for any reason the mechanic will find it. If something is found - say the bar and they have a replacement you want then buy it there to keep food on their tables. Everyone wins. Your bike gets fixed, you either start or further a relationship and the LBS gets to pay the electric bill.

While I was of course being an ass I was also helping to drive your issue to an appropriate end. Without your bike being professionally checked you will always and forever feel like something is off. Once you have it checked and correct whatever might be wrong your mind will let the topic go. As it stands, no matter what you do your mind will hold onto that shred of doubt and your steed will never become the object of love and friendship it should be.
Old 10-28-09, 01:00 PM
yesterday you said tom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
word. don't worry man i enjoyed the sarcasm and the advice. Thanks.
Old 10-28-09, 01:28 PM
RVA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a Costanza wallet?
Old 10-28-09, 01:30 PM
yesterday you said tom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have a Costanza wallet?
hahaha nice
Old 10-28-09, 04:52 PM
I just wanna ride

Bikes: 2013 BMC Impec

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are your wheels both trued? Maybe one is dished to the side a little. But I bet it's the fork. My little brothers fork is bent a little and it's a beast to hold up straight when riding no handed.
Old 10-28-09, 09:47 PM

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, fixed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitekimchee
I can ride with no hands without any problem. This is currently my only bike so I have no way of comparing differences in steering movement. I'm gonna ask my girl to try it out tonight and see how she feels on it. I'm gonna be livid if it's a problem with my frame.

I bet it's your mismatched arm length. Try turning you stem every so slightly to the shorter arm.
Old 10-28-09, 09:54 PM
Yo!

Bikes: Panasonic NJS Keirin x2, Level Professional, Bianchi CUSS, GT Pulse

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's all in your head!
Old 10-28-09, 11:55 PM
18 dog baby

Bikes: 2008 crosscheck complete, 1984 Pugeot fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i thought this same thing when i got a new bike. i was pissed, thinking the shop had sold me a bent frame. so i took it back and they looked at it and nothing was the matter. i thought about everything it could be, even an irregular tire tread. everything was fine. so i just forgot about it until i was visiting my mother one day and her friend, a message therapist, took a look at me and said: "You crooked." one shoulder was about half an inch higher than the other from carrying a book bag my whole life. i had some work done on my back and after that it was cool.
so, long story short, maybe it's your alignment.
Old 10-29-09, 12:53 AM
ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

Bikes: Huffy and Pacific

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, I think something's up with the bike (or the way it was put together). I don't think it's KimChi's body.

Kimchi, is this your first bike? Maybe you can hop on another bike or two and see if it does the same. If it does, I guess it is your body.

But even if it's your body (say one arm is longer than the other), your brain should be smart enough to compensate for that!
Old 10-29-09, 01:19 AM
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suffered from bent bullhorn that made me feel crooked.
Old 10-29-09, 01:48 AM
I am Noobert.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mmmmmm new sweeeeat shirts....Mmmmmmmmmm
Old 10-29-09, 09:53 AM
sweathogs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
your saddle might be very slightly pointed off to one side so check that.
Old 10-29-09, 10:10 AM
ECR

Bikes: Bianchi Pista/Fuji Nevada/Windsor Clockwork

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
V8?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.