Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek - why are there such haters? Same for Bontrager

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek - why are there such haters? Same for Bontrager

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-11, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hendrick81
Or like this...

Now she'll need a shorter stem.
Old 01-26-11, 07:32 AM
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Since this is the road bike forum, Madone 6 made in Waterloo. That is all. Madone 5's, starting with the 2011 line went to the Far East. Everything else, for a long time's been outsourced.
why does trek hate america?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-26-11, 07:38 AM

Bikes: 2014 FUJI Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think people have a general dislike for Trek because they are so common. Among non-bike "enthusiasts" Trek is considered cream of the crop because they're a large company and a recognizable brand. Because of this, the hard core riders don't want to be associated with the same brand that the general public likes. They want something that is more "indie" or under the radar from the masses.
Old 01-26-11, 07:41 AM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
no one hates specialized and they are more common.

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 01-26-11, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Specialized does a good job with warranties and customer service. They also test new products well before selling them.

OP - do a search of waterockets threads about trek and you'll get more answers
Old 01-26-11, 07:48 AM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
when i think of trek i think of the villains in an episode of the A-Team.

Old 01-26-11, 08:02 AM

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
why does trek hate america?
Same reason why GM, after getting boatloads of government bailout money is investing $540 million in a factory in central Mexico to build fuel efficient engines. When the current administration was running for office, they ran hard against free trade. Maybe some of these companies heard them. Imagine that.
Old 01-26-11, 08:04 AM
spookeaymarine.info

Location: Me, I'm in Central Alabama C.S.A. But my husband is under the bed. He's sure there is a black helicopter orbiting our house.

Bikes: Schwin,Ross,Cannondale.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
when i think of trek i think of the villains in an episode of the A-Team.
I love it when a plan comes together!
Old 01-26-11, 08:07 AM
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are enough Discovery/Astana kit wearing freds on Treks in my area to not want one. And pretty soon the LAY-OH-PARDs will start coming out of the woodwork.
Old 01-26-11, 08:10 AM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i see way too many riders doing mark cavendish impersonations.

Old 01-26-11, 08:18 AM
RT
The Weird Beard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
With Lance's winning streak, Trek became like Kleenex, at least to me. Everywhere you go, Trek, Trek, Trek. Not saying it is a bad product, it's just that it seems that everyone had one or wanted one. It does not help that any product Trek makes that I like would require a 401K loan for me to afford. That's what America does though - hates on the success story. Apple will be there too, someday, mark my words.

Classic overexposure.

Last edited by RT; 01-26-11 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-26-11, 08:23 AM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
The Trek bikes I have purchased have been nice bikes, I have no complaints with them. My wife's 2.1 is especially nice because she like is a lot and it rides well for her. I wish the welds on my 7.5 fx were smooth, but other than that it is a very nice hybrid, works great as a commuter/trail bike. I am stuck between Specialized, Trek or Cannondale for a new road bike this year, have to go on test rides to pick a winner, but right now they are all equal.
Old 01-26-11, 08:31 AM
Come on you Spurs!

Bikes: Trek 2.1, BMC Roadracer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started riding last spring and I got a Trek solely based on price. It was the cheapest with an 105 group.
I liked Specialized more but the Trek was cheaper.
The Trek store.. it's alright. They always tell me I need a new chain and bar tape.
The chain is fine,I measured it and the bar tape needed cleaning not replacing.
Also their tune-ups are not the greatest, maybe because I get them for free since the bike is under warranty still.
Old 01-26-11, 08:32 AM
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My Trek is great for the price I paid for it. Unless I got another super deal though I probably won't end up with another one, I'm more of a value kind of guy and Trek is generally more money for equal products.
Old 01-26-11, 08:40 AM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i like the look of treks but they are just too expensive.

Old 01-26-11, 09:01 AM
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
I have a Bontrager floor pump. Its a great floor pump.
Old 01-26-11, 09:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody even heard or knew of Trek until Armstrong was tied to them and riding their stuff. See what a guy can do for a product, even if it is crap.

Actually, I have a hybrid Fx7.3, with mostly OEM Bontrager stuff for putting around. The thing has been a tank and well made, no issues whatsoever with it. Wife/daughter both have those Trek Navigators...no problems either with them. Of course, my wife has only ridden it 80 miles in 2 years...maybe that is why it has lasted.

Now the competitive road bikes...another story.
Old 01-26-11, 09:10 AM
Gluteus Enormus

Bikes: Yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by techlogik
Nobody even heard or knew of Trek until Armstrong was tied to them and riding their stuff. See what a guy can do for a product, even if it is crap.

Actually, I have a hybrid Fx7.3, with mostly OEM Bontrager stuff for putting around. The thing has been a tank and well made, no issues whatsoever with it. Wife/daughter both have those Trek Navigators...no problems either with them. Of course, my wife has only ridden it 80 miles in 2 years...maybe that is why it has lasted.

Now the competitive road bikes...another story.
Nobody? Really? I see...
Old 01-26-11, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by techlogik
incorrect, some might say that was the beginning of a different era though.
Old 01-26-11, 09:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Didnt like them back in the early 90s with their first run carbon bikes and crappy warranty issues. Really didnt like them when they became the Lance Armstrong brand and every fanboy was on one (along with the Trek shops spewing the LA ilk). Have had several friends race for teams that were sponsored by Trek bikes (high in Madones) and very few had good things to say about them. Not happy with how the Lemond situation went down (but thats just business). Not happy with how they have destroyed the Gary Fisher brand quality wise (should be renamed Gary Fissures due to the crappy frames).
Old 01-26-11, 09:26 AM

Bikes: 2007 Trek 1600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
End Thread.
Old 01-26-11, 09:39 AM
Still can't climb

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
bontrager gel bar tape is the best tape evar. all squigy.

Old 01-26-11, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KiuBWhy
Dont buy used and expect warranty.

As much as I love them, I do agree with some of the comments,

Thick ugly welds
Bontrager stuff is ok nothing special, wheels are expensive.
They are everywhere

I don't think they are any worse or any better than specialized, cannondale, or giant.
Old 01-26-11, 09:50 AM

Bikes: Aquila Diablo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm still pissed off at Trek for ruining Klein and Bontrager in the 90s, turning them into generic crap.
Old 01-26-11, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the input. I know that there are some people who just hate Treks for the sake of hating, and others who have has bad CS experiences. Personally, I don't like Giant bikes. I have no good reason, I just don't like them.
My wife & I each have a new Madone 4.7, and an old 930 SHX MTB. All of the bikes are great. We haven't had to deal with CS (hopefully we won't), but we have a really good LBS in the Boston area that has always been good to us. I usually judge a company on how it deals with problems, because every every company makes a bad product now & then. I have had horrible CS from Sony, where Samsung replaced a defective HDTV with a newer, better model after my original TV went bad 15 months out of warranty.
I'm aware of the problems with the Bontrager paired-spoke wheels, although they've been fine on my wife's bike, but she's pretty light. My wheels aren't paired-spoke, and they've held up well on Boston area roads. I know that they are on the heavy side.
I do love the integrated DuoTrap sensor, it hides the ugly tie-wraps that are needed on other bikes. Combine that with hidden cables on 5 & 6 series, and you've got a clean look.

I do understand the dislike of Treks because everybody seems have one, and that goes with any popular product (iPhone?).
Trek's are ~$100-$200 more than comparable Specialized, although Trek hasn't bumped up prices yet like Specialized just did.

Thanks to everyone,

Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.