Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

So who thinks Contador cheated, or at least violated an unwritten rule of the TDF?

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

So who thinks Contador cheated, or at least violated an unwritten rule of the TDF?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 08:28 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
There is a tradition of not attacking the leader when he is delayed in a noncompetitive part of the race. That does not apply to a mishap during an attack on the final climb of a stage (imho). I like the way Ryder Hesjedal put it. If you draw tour sword and drop it, you die.
Old 07-21-10, 08:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was this thread moved over from the Road Cycling forum? This topic has more than been covered here in the Professional Racing forum. Check the numerous other threads.

This is my take that I posted this on another threads:

This is what's happened during the race:
Andy benefited greatly from Fabian neutralizing the stage after Andy crashed and was behind AC and the other contenders by a couple of minutes on stage 2.
Andy benefited greatly when most of the field, including the MJ wearer and chief rival AC, got stuck behind Franks crash on stage 3. Andy gained over a minute on that stage if you include the time AC lost due to the broken wheel.
Andy was attacking AC (and Menchov/Sanchez) when he had his mechanical issue stage 15. AC, Menchov, and Sanchez continued on and attacked. Now everyone is upset that AC didn't wait for Andy to catch up, again. This time from a self-inflicted issue.
Andy thought about it the next day. He and Contador spoke. During an interview and mentioned the events of stage 2 (https://velonews.competitor.com/2010/...hatchet_130287) Andy and AC are over it. Sportsmanship is not a one way street. You can't be selective with these "unwritten rules." If one is going to be upset with Contador, then you have to be upset with Schleck as well. And you could throw in Menchov, Sanchez, Evans, and Cancellara. People keep throwing around this term of "honor". The Tour has ripe history of honorable acts, dishonorable, and controversial ones somewhere in between.

A big part of winning a grand tour is surviving to the end. What if Andy had his cleat come loose on the pedal while he was attacking? Does everyone have to stop for that. Where do you draw the line? Just because he's wearing the yellow, doesn't mean he's exempted from all possible mishaps. And its not like he'd done something to particularly warrant wearing the yellow. He was in it as a result of one of these racing incidents. Cripes, its a bike race. Races are full of racing incidents like crashes and such.

Last edited by OrionKhan; 07-21-10 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-21-10, 08:46 PM
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've watched this video several times now. It's really hard to tell if Contador could see Schleck with Vinokourov in the way. I'm willing to give C the benefit of the doubt. (Even though I'm rooting for Schleck and I hope he stomps all over C tomorrow.)

What about a theoretical scenario of Schleck's shoe coming unclipped and he was having trouble getting clipped back in? Similar issue, and I wouldn't expect anyone else to stop and wait. From the video, it's difficult to say for certain if C could have been able to ascertain there was a chain problem. At any rate, he was finally up to speed and possibly focusing all attention on his efforts.
Old 07-21-10, 08:58 PM
A Mountaineering thing

Bikes: 4 Road 2 Mtn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as members posting to this thread saying it has been discussed before, well, then why don't you just go away and leave the ones that want to respond to have their say? What is your problem with others responding? You don't like the thread, don't respond to it. Go away and leave those that want to discuss the thread alone. Get a life.
Old 07-21-10, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hillbasher
As far as members posting to this thread saying it has been discussed before, well, then why don't you just go away and leave the ones that want to respond to have their say? What is your problem with others responding? You don't like the thread, don't respond to it. Go away and leave those that want to discuss the thread alone. Get a life.
I have a life, thank you very much. I was trying to help you out. Though you apparently choose not to see it. Since it's been discussed quite a bit in this forum (now that your thread has been moved), then I figured you might be interested in reading what's already been posted. Excuse me for trying to help. Sheesh, no good deed goes unpunished. Though I should have figured that here on BF ahead of time.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 07-21-10, 09:12 PM
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 07-21-10, 09:17 PM

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have kept going, what happens when there is a mechanical problem (self inflicted or not) in auto racing?

Could he have slowed, yea, did he no. I don't see the big deal. I will say karma is a ***** when it comes back around, so at some point Conatador will get his in the end.
Old 07-21-10, 09:22 PM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,100 Times in 645 Posts
I think a lot of people have heard about some unwritten rule, and are applying it to situations where precedence indicates it does not exist. For example, if the peloton is intact and cruising along, and the leader needs to take a nature break, or is going through the feed zone, or has a flat or such - yes, it is bad form to attack. However, once there is an attack on, it's a race. What happens, happens. I don't recall there being any uproar about the Saxo Bank attacking when the Yellow Jersey (Chavanel), Armstrong and Contador were stuck behind the chaos that ensued when Frank crashed out on the cobblestones. How is that any different than what happened on Stage 15?

In fact, if Saxo Bank hadn't continued that attack on stage 3, Andy would never have gotten ahead of Contador on time, and Alberto would have been the guy wearing the yellow jersey on stage 15. So here we sit, well over a day after Andy and Alberto have made their peace, arguing over some fictitious slight of honor that Bob Roll and Paul Sherwin have proclaimed exists. Never mind that riders with infinitely more experience pursuing the Maillot Jaune (Hinault and Armstrong) have said Alberto didn't do anything they would fault. Never mind what happened in stage 2, or stage 3, or what has happened many times to race leaders and serious contenders in innumerable Grand Tours and other prestigious road races over the years.

Get over it. Get a life.
Old 07-21-10, 09:23 PM
A Mountaineering thing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelS
I have a life, thank you very much. I was trying to help you out. Though you apparently choose not to see it. Since it's been discussed quite a bit in this forum (now that your thread has been moved), then I figured you might be interested in reading what's already been posted. Excuse me for trying to help. Sheesh, no good deed goes unpunished. Though I should have figured that here on BF ahead of time.
Well I don't need any help thank you all the same. Enough people responded to make anyone believe that there is still an interest. But I will say that I see your point, hope you see mine. Just wanted fresh input. If you didn't have any, then maybe, oh what the hell.
Old 07-21-10, 09:23 PM
Raising the bar

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Allez Double (sold), 2009 Kestrel RT 800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tulex
Said the kitty but the milk tastes good.
Good save!
Old 07-21-10, 09:24 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look, it has more to do with cluttering up the boards with multiple threads relating to the same topic. Why create a new thread a couple of days after the incident that covers the same stuff that's been discussed numerous times? Or do you have new spin on the topic? Its obvious you didn't bother to even look so I'll make easy for you. Here are some of the other threads on this topic from the past two days:
This thread has over 270 replies to it (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Jul-17/page10).
This thread has over 40 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...r-a-competitor).
And another one with 40 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Bad-Luck-quot).
And another (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...gy-%28video%29).
Another (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-lose-the-Tour).
Another (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-accelerating).
Here's a poll in case you were thinking about starting one (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Stage-15-Poll).
This one had over 190 posts (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ver-a-champion).
This one was kind of a parody of all the other posts (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...oiler-alert%29).

I can see how your post is different from all of these others.
Old 07-21-10, 09:29 PM
A Mountaineering thing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OrionKhan
Look, it has more to do with cluttering up the boards with multiple threads relating to the same topic. Why create a new thread a couple of days after the incident that covers the same stuff that's been discussed numerous times? Or do you have new spin on the topic? Its obvious you didn't bother to even look so I'll make easy for you. Here are some of the other threads on this topic from the past two days:
This thread has over 270 replies to it (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Jul-17/page10).
This thread has over 40 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...r-a-competitor).
And another one with 40 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Bad-Luck-quot).
And another (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...gy-%28video%29).
Another (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-lose-the-Tour).
Another (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...e-accelerating).
Here's a poll in case you were thinking about starting one (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Stage-15-Poll).
This one had over 190 posts (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ver-a-champion).
This one was kind of a parody of all the other posts (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...oiler-alert%29).

I can see how your post is different from all of these others.
And your reply is uncluttering the board, HOW?Let it go, as some people obviously still want to talk about it, But I will stop here, as it is not worth my time and effort.
Old 07-21-10, 09:30 PM
Rower

Bikes: Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snowman40
I would have kept going, what happens when there is a mechanical problem (self inflicted or not) in auto racing?

Could he have slowed, yea, did he no. I don't see the big deal. I will say karma is a ***** when it comes back around, so at some point Conatador will get his in the end.
+1 on the Karma. What comes around, goes around.
Old 07-21-10, 09:38 PM
A Mountaineering thing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My point in posting this thread was not that I thought my opinion was right or wrong, I just want to get other thoughts and opinions on the matter. Thanks for all inputs, and I will now stop mine.
Old 07-21-10, 09:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please, make it stop.....
Old 07-21-10, 09:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And your reply is uncluttering the board, HOW?Let it go, as some people obviously still want to talk about it, But I will stop here, as it is not worth my time and effort.
My post was not intended to unclutter the board. It was to show you that there are numerous threads, many still going on, discussing the topic. There is an abundance of opinions on the topic. Rather that start a new thread, you could have simply began reading what has already been discussed and then added your input to an already robust discussion. As you didn't make a point of saying that you had some new insight for the reason of the new thread, it appears that you are simply starting a new thread and rehashing the same topic. You are correct. There are many who still want to talk about it. And they are doing so on the other threads. Thus, we ask "why start a new thread that is the same as the others?" That is the point most of us are trying to get across to you. Get it?
Old 07-21-10, 10:00 PM
SilentRider

Bikes: Trek Madone SLR 7, Giant TCR Advanced Pro, Trek Domane SLR, Trek Emonda SLR Project One (x2), custom Bingham Built Titanium road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tough to admit a phawk up ain't it? Ironically, it's what some say about the whole chaingate. The protagonists have moved on. Take a hint.
Old 07-21-10, 10:07 PM
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he didn't cheat, he didn't dope, he did what he had to do because it's a BIKE RACE. Other former winners including Bernard Hinault, Laurent Fignon, Bernard thevenet...all said the same thing. It happens, it sucks, but it's bike racing. I think it's wrong for people to boo contador...he didn't do anything nasty or underhanded. it's not like he put a banana peel in front of the guy's bike.
Old 07-21-10, 10:54 PM
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
oolong_pancake..jpg (34.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-21-10, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrankBattle
Tough to admit a phawk up ain't it? Ironically, it's what some say about the whole chaingate. The protagonists have moved on. Take a hint.
Old 07-22-10, 04:58 AM

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 327 Posts
i read about the controversy online before i had a chance to catch up on the actual race footage on my dvr. the media made it seem like a huge deal, while during the actual race it didn't seem that bad, at all. love him or hate him, Contador has that mean streak/killer instinct necessary to winning. 5 years from now, nobody will care about how the race was won, they'll only remember the winner, and that's something Contador realizes. I think Schleck finally realizes that now.
Old 07-22-10, 05:30 AM

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RNAV
To call him a female dog would be too large a compliment.

no, it would be an insult to female dogs.
Old 07-22-10, 05:42 AM
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 1499 Post(s)
Liked 1,100 Times in 645 Posts
Originally Posted by rangerdavid
no, it would be an insult to female dogs.
and a violation of BF policy.

Name calling is an effective way of pulling yourself down.

Exercise care, friends.
Old 07-22-10, 10:11 AM
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
Why do so many people seem to forget that there is a race going on?
Because so many people in this country are Americans who support Lance Armstrong, and they're just bitter because Contador is the new rooster in charge of the henhouse.
Contador attacked because Schleck attacked, not because Schleck's inferior Sram drivetrain mal****ioned.
Pft--it's not as if Schleck would have kept the yellow jersey after tomorrow's time trial anyway.
Old 07-22-10, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Schleck should be happy his chain fell off because it got him a gift stage
win today that he would have never gotten if he was still in Yellow!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.