Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

With speed being the only factor, what are your favorite tires?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

With speed being the only factor, what are your favorite tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 09:15 AM

Bikes: 99 Klein Quantum, 2012 Cannondale CAAD10 5, Specialized Tarmac Comp, Foundry Thresher, Fuji Sportif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by smarkinson
I've never used them but Tony Martin won the world TT championship this year on Specialized Turbo Cotton clinchers.

No tubulars needed ? Martin wins worlds with clincher tires | VeloNews.com

Which bike are you planning on putting these on? And what wheels?

Tubulars are nice but useless if you don't have tubular wheels. Tubeless tyres are nice too but again useless if you don't have a compatible set of wheels.
This. They wear quickly too. The Turbo Pro's are nearly as fast, last a lot longer and have decent protection.
Old 10-24-16, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Airtorn
We run solely GP 4000s on the wife's tri bike
LOVE these tires.... until yesterday.

Standing with my bike setting GPS about to take off, and the side wall of the back tire blew out. Tire is still on the rim, but the wall ruptured with no stress than inflation (had pumped to pressure a couple hours before), while I was standing over the bike. Had maybe 500 miles on the tire. Just glad I wasn't in a hard turn or fast downhill or something similar.

Those tires will be coming off my bikes now. Don't trust them anymore. Very interested in what turns up in this thread.
Old 10-24-16, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Vittoria Corsa Evo CX have been my go-to race tire for years. Now running the Graphine's and am liking them. They really corner great.
Old 10-24-16, 10:09 AM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I think the GP4000s is very fast, but my few rides on the Schwalbe Pro One seem faster. I actually have my fastest 16-mile route on those Pro Ones, followed by the GP4000s, tied with the Vred Tricomp, and last comes the Michelin Service Course.
Old 10-24-16, 11:40 AM
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Some comments on this thread may not be distinguishing between the Conti 4000s and 4000IIs. These are very different tires and it would be appreciated if this distinction were made. Otherwise, I for one will assume that those commenting on the 4000s are talking about tires which are no longer available.

I run 4000IIs on my single and our tandem. They are the most reliable fast tires I have ever run. Very low cut frequency, compared to PRO4 Endurance for example, which is very important to me since our roads here are swept so seldom. There are faster tires out there, but these are in my sweet spot for summer riding. They have a fun feel and don't flat much. I'll go to something a hair slower but much more flat resistant for winter, Rubino Pro Tech III.
Old 10-24-16, 03:54 PM
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
After several issues with sidewall failures on GP4000sII (and GP4000s) I switched to Pro4 Service Course. Presently l still have one set of wheels with the continentals mounted but all my other wheels have the michelins. I am fairly confident in saying the contis have lower rolling resistance and better grip, both in 23 and 25mm width.
Old 10-24-16, 04:00 PM

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FeltF2Tarmac
I have been riding Vittoria Corsa Speed G+. Seem fast to me. The one drawback is its a 23 only. I have had great luck with a really smooth ride with pressures a little bit lower than I have run 23's with in the past. I have not had any flat issues, maybe I'm just lucky. My previous tire of choice was the Open Corsa CXIII's.
The Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ is a serious fast tire, fastest I've even ridden when paired with a set of Reynolds Assault SLG wheelset (and I've ridden a lot clinchers, tubeless, and tubulars over the years). But there isn't much puncture protection and I probably won't recommend them for use other than on pristine time trial courses.

So to OP, if speed is your only factor, this is probably it given my personal experience.
Old 10-24-16, 04:16 PM
Woman make me faster

Bikes: 2014 Felt F2 Di2 2018 Tarmac Comp Disc

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
The Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ is a serious fast tire, fastest I've even ridden when paired with a set of Reynolds Assault SLG wheelset (and I've ridden a lot clinchers, tubeless, and tubulars over the years). But there isn't much puncture protection and I probably won't recommend them for use other than on pristine time trial courses.

So to OP, if speed is your only factor, this is probably it given my personal experience.
I have over 1000 miles no issues but that is my experience
Old 10-24-16, 04:28 PM

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Noah SL - Candy Apple DA9000, 2011 CAAD10 Berzerker Ult6800, 2013 FOCUS Mares CX Ult6800

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Any tire that is red is the fastest.

The redder the fasterer.

Corrected it for you!!!

I run conti GP4000S i & ii and they are fast enough for me.

The best tyres I've run are Veloflex Open Clinchers in 25mm - love them for racing.

Currently trying some Specialized Turbo 24mm clinchers on the race rig and they seem good too.

I've never run tubs, so cannot comment on them.

cheers
Old 10-24-16, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Some comments on this thread may not be distinguishing between the Conti 4000s and 4000IIs. These are very different tires and it would be appreciated if this distinction were made. Otherwise, I for one will assume that those commenting on the 4000s are talking about tires which are no longer available.
But they aren't really that different, same compound, same thickness, same construction(vectran+330tpi). I've mixed and matched GP4ks and SII over the last few years as my 4ks wear out and notice no difference. Are you thinking of the gp4000(non s)?
Old 10-24-16, 06:03 PM

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
I used the GP4000sII and I was referring to those when I mentioned my comparo. My Michelins seems slower and my times are down slightly on all my diff courses. They may be stickier but that is hard to tell, but the Contis are fast tires (both 25s). I'm currently on IRC Formula Pro RBCC tubeless on one bike. They seem to be slightly faster than the Michelins but I have not ridden them enough. After my crash on the Contis where the sidewall blew out, I'll probably stay away for a while even though it was most likely my fault. Once I run through the Michelins on the Specialized Roubaix, I have Schwalbe Duranos to go through. By next season, I'll probably have two bikes on tubeless and one on tubes. The cross bike is tubeless already. In general, the tubeless tires seems to be fast and obviously that is nice but the ride quality is quite nice.
Old 10-24-16, 06:07 PM
just another gosling

Originally Posted by redlude97
But they aren't really that different, same compound, same thickness, same construction(vectran+330tpi). I've mixed and matched GP4ks and SII over the last few years as my 4ks wear out and notice no difference. Are you thinking of the gp4000(non s)?
Web sources disagree on those things. Conti has not exactly emphasized the differences, shall we say. However rolling resistance has been reduced and thus there must be some changes.

My research indicated that the casing structure remains the same but the breaker belt increased from 1 layer to 2 layers of Vectran. That lends some credence to claims that the casing material has been changed to Vectran from whatever it was before, which might account for the decrease in RR even though the breaker has been beefed up. I'm also not so sure about the rubber being unchanged, re my comments about the cut resistance of the 4000 IIs tires, which I did not notice with the old 4000s tires. It's quite remarkable IMO. While I'm sure it's still Black Chili, the compound might also have been changed.
Old 10-24-16, 06:11 PM

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Motolegs
Am mulling over purchasing a set of tires with only speed in mind. No flat protection/ endurance type tires. Any experienced hands like to chime in?
I doubt you are really asking what you are asking, but direct response.

A track tire. Likely an FMB, or other silk. Silk is very hard to beat. I have not seen it beat. If there are any bumps - goto option B

Option B For road:
A custom made 25mm FMB silk with record tread and raw silk sidewalls. 220g 25mm. Could be 200g with track casing, if you know nothing sharp will be there.

Both the above are ruined by water or washing.

Semi Practical - Veloflex Record 22. If bumps are involved, bunch of options. The Vittoria Cronos 24mm is great and flats easily.

Real world - a pile of clinchers and tubulars. Specalized Turbo 24s like just won the junior ITT worlds work well.
Old 10-24-16, 06:36 PM

If a clincher tire - get a Veloflex 25 Corsa or master with a latex tube.
It will be good.
Old 10-24-16, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Veloflex Records, maybe? They weigh nothing (145g,) and last a matter of hours-- expected lifespan from a rear, 1,000km.
I have them at 170g 22mm. Have bought 8 tubulars.

Pretty good. Esp if it rains. Used them a lot for the kid. Nationals 2014 RR on RZRs. Might use them for the upcoming Uber light climbing wheels. I wish they were 24mm.
Old 10-24-16, 06:57 PM
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

This thread. Reminds me. Of.
Old 10-24-16, 08:13 PM

Web sources disagree on those things. Conti has not exactly emphasized the differences, shall we say. However rolling resistance has been reduced and thus there must be some changes.

My research indicated that the casing structure remains the same but the breaker belt increased from 1 layer to 2 layers of Vectran. That lends some credence to claims that the casing material has been changed to Vectran from whatever it was before, which might account for the decrease in RR even though the breaker has been beefed up. I'm also not so sure about the rubber being unchanged, re my comments about the cut resistance of the 4000 IIs tires, which I did not notice with the old 4000s tires. It's quite remarkable IMO. While I'm sure it's still Black Chili, the compound might also have been changed.
If you've seen a direct comparison of the RR between the two then please post it. The only results previously posted were on different machines. The casing has always been vectran, so if it's two layers, even though I've seen no evidence of such, the suppleness would have decreased and RR increased. A compound change would have been noted since black chili is used across a wide range of their tires
Old 10-24-16, 10:03 PM

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
If a clincher tire - get a Veloflex 25 Corsa or master with a latex tube.
It will be good.
I tried those. Absolute flat magnet with or without latex tubes.Gave up on them when I couldn't get through a ride without a flat, and the tires got so loose from repeated removal and mountings, that I didn't trust them to stay on the rims.

Side note, they also stank like hell when I got them. Had to hang them up to air out for 2 or 3 weeks. Not sure if it was the rubber or old acred cigarette smoke, or both. Was AWFUL though.

Last edited by quicktrigger; 10-24-16 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 10:03 PM
just another gosling

Originally Posted by redlude97
If you've seen a direct comparison of the RR between the two then please post it. The only results previously posted were on different machines. The casing has always been vectran, so if it's two layers, even though I've seen no evidence of such, the suppleness would have decreased and RR increased. A compound change would have been noted since black chili is used across a wide range of their tires
We can see here:
Cycling Power Lab
that a 4000s w/Mich latex tested at .0037crr at 120 lbs. on smooth asphalt

and we can see here:
Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Latex Tube Rolling Resistance Review
that a 4000 IIs w/Mich latex tested at .00318 at 120 lbs. on a rough surface meant to simulate rough asphalt.

Conti does say
Featuring lower rolling resistance, higher mileage and maximum wet weather grip, riders who already use the GP4000S will continue in the knowledge that they are riding the best all-round performance road bike tyres that money can buy. Newbies to the Continental brand will gain from all the factors that make countless professional riders insist on riding Continental tyres.
Grand Prix 4000 S II - conti-tyres.co.uk

My guess is that the lower RR comes from a different Black Chili formulation and a change in the casing fabric. A known problem with the 4000s was the occasional blown sidewall as commented on above. I've not heard of this happening to a 4000 IIs. Hence my wanting posters to be specific about tire model.
Old 10-24-16, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by quicktrigger
I tried those. Absolute flat magnet with or without latex tubes.Gave up on them when I couldn't get through a ride without a flat, and the tires got so loose from repeated removal and mountings, that I didn't trust them to stay on the rims.
Right. I responded to the OP.

Originally Posted by Motolegs
Am mulling over purchasing a set of tires with only speed in mind. No flat protection/ endurance type tires. ...
Anyway, what I ride and have not flatted in a couple years or so. Neither has my son. Those are the riding/training tires, not the fastest tires.

Last edited by Doge; 10-24-16 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 10:34 PM

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo P1, 2015 Felt F5

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chandne
I used the GP4000sII and I was referring to those when I mentioned my comparo.
Same here.
Old 10-24-16, 11:08 PM

We can see here:
Cycling Power Lab
that a 4000s w/Mich latex tested at .0037crr at 120 lbs. on smooth asphalt

and we can see here:
Continental Grand Prix 4000S II Latex Tube Rolling Resistance Review
that a 4000 IIs w/Mich latex tested at .00318 at 120 lbs. on a rough surface meant to simulate rough asphalt.
like I said, same machine. From your first link a 25mm gp4000sII tested worse than the 23mm gp4000s
Old 10-24-16, 11:14 PM

My guess is that the lower RR comes from a different Black Chili formulation and a change in the casing fabric. A known problem with the 4000s was the occasional blown sidewall as commented on above. I've not heard of this happening to a 4000 IIs. Hence my wanting posters to be specific about tire model.
Sidewall blow out - Conti GP4000S II - BikeRadar Forum
Conti GP4000S II - strange front tire blowout - wanted to share
Continental GP4000S II...Bad batch or back to old problems?: Triathlon Forum: Slowtwitch Forums
Continental GP 4000s sidewall blowout - Page 4 - Weight Weenies
still seems to be an issue. knock on wood I've never had a sidewall blowout on a 4000s or sII
Old 10-24-16, 11:21 PM

The Conti's are great tires and worth the money. They are not the fastest. Far from the fastest. Blowouts and flats were not a concern to the OP.
Old 10-25-16, 04:26 AM

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Going off of the resistence tests I've read I stick with open corsa cx and gp4000's running latex tubes. I don't have flat issues often (way less than I did with Hutchinson fusion tires) and if you buy them on sale they're extremely reasonable on prices. I think there are a few tires that have less rolling resistence but not a hell of a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.