Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling etiquette when........

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling etiquette when........

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-20, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
My personal best on a local hill came with one of the riders in our group about 50' back. He provided motivation for me and I was looking back to make sure I stayed ahead until he finally 'broke'. Childish perhaps, but I can usually find extra motivation when someone is behind or ahead of me. Works on zwift also.
Old 12-19-20, 07:42 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3902 Post(s)
Liked 4,848 Times in 2,236 Posts
50' back on a lonesome, mostly empty trail. Certainly not drafting, but for a 1/2 bike rider = close enough to wonder, "Is my engine up to a tandem?'

I've passed lots of V-twins that had no power. Why not overtake 'em? and vice versa?

Actually, for proper tandem protocol, you must attend an organized tandem rally - and ask.
Old 12-19-20, 01:35 PM

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3959 Post(s)
Liked 7,318 Times in 2,953 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
I'm just taking the advice that you are giving at face value. Hence the observation that there are a lot of fragile people on bikes out there. And giving advice on forums.
Yeah, sometimes I think the people on online forums are culled from the most fragile segment of society.
Old 12-19-20, 10:16 PM
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2596 Post(s)
Liked 5,672 Times in 2,929 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Nobody has said this yet - he wanted you to pass him because drafting a fast tandem is 'the ride". He has to look frequently because if you fly by and he in unprepared he isn't getting on your wheel.
when my buddy and I rode his racing tandem, back in our early 30s, we passed everyone in sight. Single riders would have to jump to catch our back wheel and if they got it, they were set. The real fun was blasting past singles on long downhills and watching them fruitlessly trying to catch a draft. Good times.

Old 12-19-20, 10:18 PM
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Yeah, sometimes I think the people on online forums are culled from the most fragile segment of society.

Old 12-19-20, 10:44 PM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked 3,938 Times in 2,560 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
when my buddy and I rode his racing tandem, back in our early 30s, we passed everyone in sight. Single riders would have to jump to catch our back wheel and if they got it, they were set. The real fun was blasting past singles on long downhills and watching them fruitlessly trying to catch a draft. Good times.
I've had 2 "rides". One was easy. Local event, about a thousand riders. My framebuilder on his tandem and I had the only two of his bikes there. I rode the 25 miles from lunch back to our cars on their wheel. Fun! He's an ex-racer, his girlfriend was also very strong. And two years ago at Cycle Oregon. Day 6 and last descent of the week. I caught an aggressively ridden tandem at the crest. I couldn't have done the descent that fast when I raced!
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-19-20, 11:20 PM
Grupetto Bob

I've had 2 "rides". One was easy. Local event, about a thousand riders. My framebuilder on his tandem and I had the only two of his bikes there. I rode the 25 miles from lunch back to our cars on their wheel. Fun! He's an ex-racer, his girlfriend was also very strong. And two years ago at Cycle Oregon. Day 6 and last descent of the week. I caught an aggressively ridden tandem at the crest. I couldn't have done the descent that fast when I raced!
Did RAMROD on it a couple of times. On the flats we pulled up to ten at a time on the flats. Of course they never reciprocated because it was such a good deal. When it came to the long climbs, 10 miles up, all the freeriders would then jump off and leave us in the dust. When we summited, we would eventually catch them going 50-60 MPH. There was no way, even when they were at 45 MPH could they snag our wheel because they were out of gears. So long suckers!

we we had a couple of two tandem teams and each would take turns in the front, the speeds and ground we covered was nothing short of amazing.

Old 12-20-20, 12:23 AM

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
I’m not new to cycling but I guess I’m new to doing it around enough other people that rules of expected etiquette should be observed.
I recently read a post concerning shedding a drafter which seemed like an easy enough thing to figure out but that made me think about a situation I was in not long ago.
I bike predominantly in the Sacramento area on the American River Bike Trail which is a beautiful trail system from Folsom to downtown Sac.
My wife and I were riding our Santana tandem on the trail one day and were passed by a gentleman who caught us on a slight hill. Once we cleared the hill we were able to re-establish our speed (which was unknown but we were moving out)
Within a short time we had closed the distance between us and said rider to about 50’-70’, certainly not a draft distance by any means. We were simply “riding our ride” and stayed at this distance behind the other rider for probably over 5 miles before he separated from us.
During this time he kept looking back at us in what I assume was a “why is that damn tandem still behind me” look? But I felt we just happened to be occupying nearly the same space at the same time.
So........ what is the protocol here?
1- Just keep riding our ride ?
2- Stop or slow down so he can breakaway?
3-Ride alongside and ask him if he finds tandems annoying? (Joke)

Because we were not even close to drafting I’m not sure what was alarming or irritating him.

My two cents is that I don't see any thing that leads me to believe he was irritated at your following him at that much longer than drafting distance. Why assume the negative from him looing back ? Just keep riding and enjoy the beautiful American River trail. I live in Napa and periodically go up to Sacramento and ride the trail up to Lake Folsom and back. It is a beautiful ride.
Old 12-20-20, 10:35 AM

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Originally Posted by rsbob
Did RAMROD on it a couple of times. On the flats we pulled up to ten at a time on the flats. Of course they never reciprocated because it was such a good deal. When it came to the long climbs, 10 miles up, all the freeriders would then jump off and leave us in the dust. When we summited, we would eventually catch them going 50-60 MPH. There was no way, even when they were at 45 MPH could they snag our wheel because they were out of gears. So long suckers!

we we had a couple of two tandem teams and each would take turns in the front, the speeds and ground we covered was nothing short of amazing.
I'm a pure mountain goat. I live to climb. I also respect tandems big time. I thank them for the ride and apologize that I will leave them on the next climb. When they pass me for good on the downhill, they get a wave and thank you. (Going up the hill at tandem speeds - for me, close to torture. And regulating my speed variations to as steady as they want, maintaining a constant distance ahead of a bike I cannot see? When I try to lead them uphill, if I stay just a touch faster so they never have to slow, I keep pulling away. It's obvious I am not helping them very much.

In a different but similar world - VW buses. Trucks are a huge blessing but there was little I could do with my bus to help them. To establish a good "relationship" I would start out far enough back that I just barely was in his draft. Staying there was hard! But the driver got to see that I was respecting him and knew what I was doing. I gradually moved up closer. We both knew he could shed me any time by passing another truck and pulling back in as soon as he cleared like they do all the time. I moved across the country with a '71 bus towing a trailer. I had a driver give me a ride for hours. He would stay out in the left lane long enough for me to pass the truck he just passed to allow me to stay on. When he pulled off into a rest stop, we rolled down the window and gave him a big wave!

That Cycle Oregon descent - the young lady in back kept looking back to make sure I was on. I fell off three times, twice in traffic and last, when the rider who rode up the hill on their wheel came off. By the time I got around him, there was a real gap, It was shades of racing 40 years before, off the back and pulling all the stops to catch the field. Made it, racing days blown! and got a big applause from the stoker.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-20-20, 10:48 AM

And the other Cycle Oregon single/tandem story(ies) - when I ride my fix gear. Drafting them in a 42-17. Nah! But I often came alongside on climbs and joked that me and the bike formed a half tandem. Captain from the waist up and headtube forward. Stoker from the waist down and back half of the tandem. Captain picked the route and steered. Stoker did all the work. Damned captain would never shift the gears (well sometimes at stops) and he would never coast! The stokers I told this to thought it was pretty funny. Captains less so.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 12-20-20, 10:50 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Nobody has said this yet - he wanted you to pass him because drafting a fast tandem is 'the ride". He has to look frequently because if you fly by and he in unprepared he isn't getting on your wheel.
I hope not, because the ARBT is a lousy place to draft other riders, especially a tandem, especially the farther east you get.
Old 12-20-20, 11:31 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I think the safest assumption is that he was simply monitoring his surroundings. If it had been me ahead of you, you would have thought the same thing about me. I head check regularly.
This. And he may have been expecting you to pass him since you'd caught up. You weren't drafting, so I doubt he was taking offense.