Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Afraid of the Road

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Afraid of the Road

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-12, 08:40 PM

Bikes: 2011 cannondale caad8-6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KypD
For me, it took a combination of hard lessons*, friends giving advice, reading up on the laws, and (like you said) getting used to it. 90% of the riding I do is on roads with heavy traffic and a 45mph speed limit, and when I first started out it was mostly for commuting and I stuck to the sidewalks. Eventually I just learned that, "Hey, cars are looking out for other cars...and they're on the road. I'm more visible this way!"

*hard lesson: i got hit by cars twice. both times it certainly would have been avoided by behaving like the motor-vehicle the law classifies me as and staying on the road. both times i was a dummy and using the sidewalk/crosswalk, and was lucky the car was going <5mph and just knocked me over. (the guy in the BMW offered to pay $200 for my bent derailleur though )

ps- riding on roads with marked bike lanes helped get me used to it a lot faster. learning to listen to how engines sound as they're approaching you, the wind, etc
i had pretty much the exact same experience. i did have the benefit of beginning my riding in a suburban area where i could ride on sidewalks/quiet roads when i wasn't comfortable, and one larger road that had bike lanes. that was a great way to ease into riding in traffic. definitely agree with the last piece, though... riding on a road with a bike lane or a wide shoulder is great for building your situational awareness. use ALL of your senses... i don't know how guys here in the city ride with headphones on... I use my hearing A LOT when riding.

i ride pretty much all of my miles on roads in NYC. i'll alter my routes and add a bit of distance if necessary if it keeps me on a bike lane for more time, but this isn't always possible, so i'm pretty comfortable riding in traffic. cab drivers still scare the crap out of me and i have a fear of being "doored" in particular, but i think that fear keeps my situational awareness really high.
Old 04-18-12, 08:54 PM
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
I dropped a motorcycle on the freeway once.
I wasn't thinking very clearly when I wrote this. No, I didn't did leave a motorcycle in the dust as I pedaled away on a bicycle-oh how I wish. I crashed a motorcycle, this what I meant when I say I dropped a motorcycle.

Last edited by Carbon Unit; 04-18-12 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-18-12, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love riding during the middle of the day or on the weekend when there isn't as much traffic. I have a healthy fear of getting run over and I'm always a lot more relaxed riding at 10am than I am riding after work at 5:30pm.
Old 04-18-12, 09:49 PM
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 781 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28838 Post(s)
Liked 1,892 Times in 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Midland
Maybe start by riding a bike path, then a road with light traffic & slowly build your confidence back up.
Yes, I recommend building up your confidence on quiet streets/roads, then gradually mix in busier ones.
Old 04-18-12, 09:55 PM
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by ultraman6970
If the op has not experience and this is his 1st accident.. sorry for him but to feel like cr@p in his house felling compassion of himself wont help him. He has to realize that. Just like the chick that after the 1st fall leaves the 5000 dollars bike in the garage and the boyfriend felling like an @ss because he tries to get her in the bike again. Some people simply can't handle stuff as small as those you know, IMO their minds just freak out...
What are you talking about? The OP didn't even say he had been in an accident.
Old 04-18-12, 10:54 PM
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I rode on CO-93 the other day, on my ride from uptown Denver to downtown Boulder. It was scary. On a long slow climb, I had to dismount and walk in the gravel on the side of the highway (no shoulder) because there were so many huge semi trucks passing me with less than a foot of clearance. The next climb, there weren't very many trucks because there aren't very many destinations past a certain point on the previous descent that need shipments of things like gravel, so I was fine. Just the occasional close pass, but I lived! On the downhill into Boulder, I hit about 38mph (I didn't have my roadie yet, otherwise the speeds would have been in excess of 45mph. I am still confident in riding on city streets, but I'm not sure I ever want to ride on a highway again.

For you Coloradoans, I took the Cherry Creek MUP to Platte st, Platte st to 32nd, 32nd to McIntyre, McIntyre to 64th, 64th to CO-93. Even on that road populated (McIntyre) greatly by semi trucks, I felt safer than on CO-93.
Old 04-18-12, 10:57 PM

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
knowing when to take the lane is important.
Old 04-18-12, 10:59 PM
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nick Bain
knowing when to take the lane is important.
Even more-so, holding your line and asserting your position in the lane is important.
Old 04-19-12, 12:56 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
loosely carry multiple hammers (do not secure too tightly)
Old 04-19-12, 02:04 AM
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"I took bad risks and was really quite scared."

Well, don't take bad risks and you'll be fine.
Old 04-19-12, 03:40 AM

Bikes: Nothing amazing... cheap old 21 speed mtb

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been down on the motorcycle twice. Once on ice, once thanks to a truck. I'm no longer fearless, but you really can't be timid in traffic on any 2 wheeler so you just have to assert yourself. Never had problems with traffic on the bike. Mainly I think because I avoid all busy roads and ride on trails or at times when there simply isn't any traffic.
Old 04-19-12, 07:17 AM
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by krobinson103
I'm no longer fearless, but you really can't be timid in traffic on any 2 wheeler so you just have to assert yourself.
this is true.

another HUGE tip is that you must anticipate others and prepare. if you think a car might turn left in front of you either because they don't see you, or they think you're just a 'slow bicycle' then it is wise to cover your brakes or slow down, because the consequences of a collision are far higher for you than a car.

if you ride like you expect every car to be doing stupid ****, if not outwardly trying to kill you, then you'll ride much more safely and you will have fewer incidents.

we cyclists can't kid ourselves, though. 'fewer' is not zero. you could get smacked by a drunk or inattentive driver on any given ride.
Old 04-19-12, 07:42 AM

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by icyclist
"I took bad risks and was really quite scared."

Well, don't take bad risks and you'll be fine.
The number one imperative is gaining the judgment to know what really is risky, without injuring yourself in the process. Starting out, everything we say about vehicular cycling feels like a risk.
Old 04-19-12, 11:25 AM
Behind EVERYone!!!

Bikes: 2010 Specialized Tricross Comp 105 Double

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Radh
I don't think I've gone biking for a week after having my first real run in traffic. I took bad risks and was really quite scared. I want to go biking again (at a time with less traffic, even), but I've developed this fear of the road.

Is there any way to overcome this other than to just keep riding and getting used to it? I know road safety, I've read tons about it, but it's still scary.
Could this have anything to do with your fear? If so, stop taking bad risks. Not trying to sound flippant, but this seems to be the major issue here. There are always some risks while riding on the road, no need to take bad risks yourself and exacerbate the situation.

― Bruce Lee
Old 04-19-12, 11:46 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 3, Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm strongly tempted to get some kind of mirror system so I can see what's coming up behind me. I know, there's the Fred Factor, but I'm more worried about the Death-By-Texting-SUV-Driver Factor. At least if I can see them swerving around behind me, I might stand a fighting chance to get out of the way before they plow into me in their Hummer...
Old 04-19-12, 12:10 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well don't take risks. Just ride legally. Stop and stop signs and red lights. Pay attention to your lane position - stay as far right as safe, but no further. Don't be afraid to take the lane if you need to.

There are real dangers out there, but they are tremendously minimized by just not doing silly things. Cycing is, statistically, very very safe.
Old 04-19-12, 12:24 PM
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Choosing good routes is key. Plan where you are going and find the best way. Don't find yourself in a place where you really have no business being.
Old 04-19-12, 12:57 PM
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by Commodus
Cycing is, statistically, very very safe.
I would not use two verys there.
Old 04-19-12, 01:02 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
I would not use two verys there.
Three?
Old 04-19-12, 01:07 PM
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadheadSF
I'm strongly tempted to get some kind of mirror system so I can see what's coming up behind me.
anything but a helmet mirror is hard to use on a road bike because of big variations in where your head is at when you're in the tops, drops and hoods. if you ride predominantly one position you can put a mirror somewhere on your bike and at least have that, though. downtube mirrors are good in the drops, and bar ends (like spintech) are ok for the hoods.

I tried two helmet mirrors and neither of them worked for me despite 10+ hours of trying. they were too small to see anything useful, very distracting anywhere near the primary field of vision, and I unintentionally ignored them when I put them on the periphery. (I just didn't notice anything.)

Never wear headphones and pay attention. That's what I do and you probably don't need mirrors.
Old 04-19-12, 01:20 PM
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColinL
anything but a helmet mirror is hard to use on a road bike because of big variations in where your head is at when you're in the tops, drops and hoods. if you ride predominantly one position you can put a mirror somewhere on your bike and at least have that, though. downtube mirrors are good in the drops, and bar ends (like spintech) are ok for the hoods.

I tried two helmet mirrors and neither of them worked for me despite 10+ hours of trying. they were too small to see anything useful, very distracting anywhere near the primary field of vision, and I unintentionally ignored them when I put them on the periphery. (I just didn't notice anything.)

Never wear headphones and pay attention. That's what I do and you probably don't need mirrors.
I use a mirror mounted to my sunglasses and I won't ride without it. Where I find it most useful is if I need to cross a few lanes of traffic and go from the bike lane to the left turn lane. I have a hard time turning my head far enough to see what is coming up from behind, but with the mirror no problem.
Old 04-19-12, 01:21 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadheadSF
I'm strongly tempted to get some kind of mirror system so I can see what's coming up behind me.
If weight's not an issue, what about one of these?

Mounting the power source might be an issue.

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 04-19-12, 01:31 PM
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
1. Education: Go to Commute Orlando and learn how to ride in traffic. Some practices that seem dangerous (such as taking the lane) are much safer than common practices (such as riding the gutter).

2. Awareness: Get a helmet- or glasses-mounted mirror to monitor traffic behind you.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 04-19-12, 01:36 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmX
I think it's the fact that on average, more than 1 cyclist dies a week in the LA area. 59 last year.
Where did you get that number? Do you mean City of LA or LA County?
Old 04-19-12, 01:41 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jmX
I think it's the fact that on average, more than 1 cyclist dies a week in the LA area. 59 last year.
I usually find the numbers game reassuring. How many people commute by bike daily in the LA area? Even if only 1% of the 4 million population, you'd have to commute daily for 10 years before your chances of being involved in a fatal collision were at the 1% level.

Now, a 1% chance of death every ten years is high. Much higher than it should be. But what fraction of the time could safe cycling practices and precautions have avoided a fatal collision?--Probably a very large fraction of the time. And what fraction of fatal collisions involved seasoned bike commuters or road cyclists? If you're a safe, cautious, and law-abiding cyclist your odds of being involved in a fatal collision in your lifetime are probably well below 1%.

Last edited by spunkyj; 04-19-12 at 01:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.