Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Afraid of the Road

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Afraid of the Road

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 07:27 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RTDub
The best way to overcome is to ride with confidence and awareness. Ride like you belong there and you are less likely to succumb to the will of idiots. Don't get me wrong, idiots are quite prevalent, but riding scared almost makes you invisible.
If you feel fear when you ride, it's a sign that you need to ride in easier conditions and work your way up. If you jump out of your skin because someone honked at you or buzzed you, it means two things: 1) you weren't paying enough attention because you failed to recognize the threat until it was too late; 2) once you did recognize the threat, you overreacted. Both of these will get you in trouble. There is a wide variety of dangers where you will have only a split second to react, and you have to respond in the way that will maximize the outcome for you.

Respect the threats, but don't let accident statistics scare you. Most cyclists have lousy riding skills, exercise poor judgment, and don't pay attention, so if you can address these issues, you will drastically reduce your odds of getting in trouble.
Old 04-21-12, 07:32 AM
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
I guess, at least in my city, the most dangerous are places where roads cross bicycle lanes. People don't look....

Just after a 100 meters, a kid runs in front of me. I slam on the brakes, shout, he stops just in time. I roll on, just as I speed up back to 20ish, a car turns right from the main road. View was blocked by parked cars. I slam brakes, slow down, hit the side of the car and roll over it's hood. Luckily, the guy stopped so I got away without a bruise...
Of course they don't look. Right hooks, people just jumping out, and other stuff are just a part of riding in towns. Being able to react appropriately is important. Being able to anticipate and mitigate threats early is even more important.

Riding with any presumption that people will do what they're supposed to is suicidal. Ride like they're trying to kill you, but don't take it personally.
Old 04-21-12, 05:12 PM
beeballman

Bikes: 2024 Trek Madone SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
A little fear is a good thing, makes you more aware of the road your riding on. I normally ride on country roads with the group on Sunday's , these have light traffic and a fare sized shoulder. Now time to time I will ride from my house which means riding on 4 & 5 lane roads. You have to be careful, but also know what your doing. You have to get used to the traffic buzzing by, and not be jittery. In most cases the cars around here treat cyclists with respect and give us the 3' clearance the law says to give us. The more you ride, the more comfortable you will be riding in traffic. Just my two cents.
Old 04-21-12, 06:27 PM

Bikes: 2008 Lynskey R220 2005 Lemond

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Try and stay aware of your surroundings. Watch ahead but know whats going on in back of you.