Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

cleaning/smoothing zinc-plated spokes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

cleaning/smoothing zinc-plated spokes

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-22, 03:25 PM

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 970 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
...I don't intend to share my projects very openly on BF, in the future.
Rats!!! Hey man if it's any consolation I have learned allot from and like your posts...

OK... here is one for ya... In the 70's over in Germany I saw an old bicycle outside of the German Army Armory that looked like an old Shwinn. All of the ferrous parts had been treated including the spokes. They were Parkerised. I think back and really it was kinda cool...

Check out the Youtube vid: "Parkerizing phosphate and oil finish auto parts using a roaster oven"

Last edited by zandoval; 04-14-22 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-15-22, 06:24 AM
Rancho66

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
What's the name of your polish?
3M Perfect-It EX Machine Polish 06094

If you are not into buffing out cars the cost is a bit prohibitive for bicycle usage.
Old 04-15-22, 09:12 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
I reuse old spokes and nipples all the time. What was written was that the scrubbing had started, and the implication was the abrading was already through the plate. Fine for one's own bike, a problem for a "client" no matter if you are being paid or not.
This Irish Witcomb project has been beset by a lack of planning. The hubs, the cottered bottom brackets, the headset, crown race and bike finish, you are a smart guy, the lack of forethought is quite visible.
Thoughtful disassembly will catch stuff, with a top tier machine one can avoid being concerned as much, better probability things were correct at first, these were price point machines, monitoring prevents mayhem.
It does bring to mind that working on downmarket bikes is much more trouble that top line machines. The basic quality of components, the care of mfg and assembly are just not very good often.
There was a whole string regarding the headset fit and adjustment. These bikes were manufactured to be "good enough". Attempting to "blueprint" them out of sequence is fraught with the anguish as expressed.

My repeat on spoke lengths was that I have seen many wheels for example where the original mfg spokes were too short, think that it is easier to get a wheel done and on its way than grind back spokes when required, or keep track of differing lengths on a rear wheel. Just how it was, leave it to the mechanic years later to sweep up the mess. Most 5 speed rear wheels from mfg's back in the day use equal length spokes on both sides, sloppy practice, get the drive side correct and the non drive side will be short, the nipples will not be completely filled.
Most often a 1mm difference between the sides improves things much. 2mm on a 6 speed.
I think you have misinterpreted a few things. First, the Irish project was terminated by its owner decades ago. Its execution was terrible, but this cannot be blamed on the two Americans who were hired to maintain quality at the plant. They had responsibility without authority and could not have been on-site enough to actually teach and coach, especially during production. If you are saying I have shown poor planning, I resent that, though we did not make sure we got a good assessment of the frame. We requested that in writing from the painter/builder, and he did not provide anything, other than his unilateral decision to rebraze many joints.

Your text suggests I have committed every design and mechanics error you can think of, but it is just not true, and I truly resent being addressed with that tone. As far as leaving problems to a mechanic years later to sort out, that is the situation I am in. I do not benefit from being told what is wrong with these bicycles, I have disassembled them and I KNOW what is wrong. I am as well trying to reassemble the bike. I can rectify many things, but not terrible frame errors, and one of these frames has such, and it will be recycled per owner's agreement. She has bought a new Trek, so I assume she accepts it. I don't know if the frame error was all due to the Irish plant, or due to lack of attention by the painter/builder he contracted brazing the seatstay into the wrong place. One may say we should have addressed the problem with him, but honestly I do not want anyone there applying heat to steel I am associated with. I cannot trust his work based on what I see and the fact I cannot go and live at his site to look over his shoulder. The bike owner may do what he wants, it was his money. We DID NOT ASK the builder/painter to re-braze the rear triangles.

The wheel and other non-frame issues are largely a matter of bearings not overhauled for 45 years. I assumed at the beginning those were all there was, that's why I insisted on refinishing by a real builder. That backfired.

You are wrong about the spokes. You should have asked "are there any rusty ones?" Instead you assume they are all rusty and I am ignoring that fact. I had rubbed down 6 out of 72 rear wheel spokes when I asked my question about foil. I ceased the foil rubbing and have used the spokes as is. They are no worse than they were when I received the bike, and the wheel is greatly improved based on the bearing and rim work. I have improved what is practical to improve. I set aside the ones with any visible rust. I evaluated the hub, rim, and geometry, computed lengths (you suggested I am clueless about lengths) and measured the spokes, to find the spokes on hand are suited for 3x rather than 4x, I must have miscounted. The actuals were 1 mm short of the calculated values, so I laced the wheel. Yesterday it trued up and dished up easily. Today I'll finish it if I have time and trim the drive side axle, final check/pack the bearings, Install tire and we have a rear wheel which fits the bike. This isn't blueprinting. This is repair by adapting available parts to fit this crazy bicycle, since the owner is adamant. Front wheel needs similar attention. I have blueprinted my Mondonico - it's a lot of work but far easier than this has been. I'm glad I did not share that project with you. I do not need further lecturing by someone who has not actually seen.

Headsets are not a problem.

If you have additional constructive comments, my ears are open. If you have additional pejorative comments, I don't want them. Also, please check your assumptions at the door. They are also insulting.

Last edited by Road Fan; 04-16-22 at 07:05 AM.
Old 04-16-22, 09:04 AM

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 700 Times in 395 Posts
Before I knew the little that I know now, I cleaned bad spokes with 0000 steel wool and mineral spirits. These were old Schwinn double butted on Schwinn approved hubs and Weinmann aluminum rims. I assume they are galvanized. They had decades of crud and roughness. I was trying to clean a bit and get a smoother finish. I wasn’t going for shine. Remember, I didn’t know any better.

Now, a few years later and they still look fine. I’ve done this with several, as I was going to do SOMETHING to clean them up a little and if I needed to address it again later, so be it. I have enough bikes that these aren’t ridden a lot, and they reside in a dry basement and don’t get ridden in the rain. The climate here is also not terribly humid. Indeed, I read lots of the rust stories on the forum and am thankful to mostly avoid these issues. YMMV of course.

Last edited by sd5782; 04-16-22 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Spelling