Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need some advice, PLEASE HELP ME BUILD!

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Need some advice, PLEASE HELP ME BUILD!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-16, 11:09 AM
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you should slow down a bit and really map out a plan before finding the next thing to buy. In fact, I think you may have already made a few missteps - I'm not sure your Marzocchi is really any better than the Duke XC.

First, start with an objective of what you want to get to... from reading your post, I would have thought you wanted a nice, plush laid-back all-around kind of bike. But it looks like you are heading towards a short-travel XC-oriented machine. Well, you can still set it up to suit you.

But figure out exactly what components you want to (and are able to) swap over and then decide what you want to upgrade, before saying stuff like, "hey guys, what's a good BB?"

Things to think about: The little bits and pieces add up. Compatibility issues: what dia is your seatpost, will the front derailleur switch over, what brake system will work with your fork and frame? do you want a different bar/stem?

Can you do the work yourself? Will you need special tools?

Good luck! Make a plan now and I think your chances for success will improve.
Old 09-14-16, 07:32 PM
Banned.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phantoj,
Thank you for the input and help! I do want a more all around, do everything well bike for sure. I dont like the hunched over XC riding position at all.
My brakes will be Shimano XTR's. I had Juicy 7 brakes on a previous bike and disc brakes did not really impress me. Plus they are heavier and more maintenance. At least they where for me.
I went with Marzocchi Bomber 3 lights for a more plush ride. I wanted the oil bath design. I hear they are one of the best, most plush forks around, however I am sure thats subjective to who you talk to.... However, I needed another set of forks as I am building a bike for me wife as well. So.............We now have enough shocks!!!
I know I want Sram Gripshift and thats going to be new. I want a tall stem and bars with as much rise as I can get.
Shocks I am hoping will arrive on Friday. I am getting new seals and oil for them for the rebuild.
Thanks!
Old 09-14-16, 09:10 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forks where in Ohio yesterday...... Im in California! Probably wishful thinking for Friday. Thats ok though, Enduro seals are not here yet either. Its all on its way...
The Z3 Light forks are pretty clean. Heres a few pics:

Forks has adjusters on both legs. Damping and preload I think. IS that what they call sag now with air forks? Stanchion tubes are very clean. No marks that I can see at all. I am hoping this is as great as many people raved about in the past........
Old 09-16-16, 09:11 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,
I am trying to decide on a new bar and stem. What do you guys think? I am 6'1"-6'2". I dont want to be hunched over very much at all. This will be a do all bike.
I know I want a riser bar and stem.
1. Should I go with a downhill riser bar? I want a known strong bar. Azonic?
2. I want a riser stem as well. What would you guys recommend?
Is there a good combo out there that people use?
Thanks!
Old 09-16-16, 09:25 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just so you all know, im leaning towards the Renthal Fatbar light. 40mm rise in gold anodized color. Seems really tough and I like the 40mm rise of it. 780mm width. Its looking pretty good right now, but no idea of what stem to use. I am open to any and all suggestions.
Thank you
Old 09-17-16, 02:34 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are these fancy pants bottom brackets with ceramic bearings worth the money.............
Old 09-17-16, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddSantora
Are these fancy pants bottom brackets with ceramic bearings worth the money.............
No.
Old 09-17-16, 10:49 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you sir! Straight and to the point. Alright, I will stick with my Shimano Hollowtech 2 BB and Deore XT cranks. I think they will suffice nicely.
Alright, heres my next question. Frame came with no headset. FRame came with a Cane Creek IS-2 originally. It's a integrated type of headset with zero rise from what I gather.
Any recommendations as to what I can get or what options I have?
Thanks!
Old 09-18-16, 09:30 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you think this is real.................................LOL
Old 09-18-16, 11:35 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,
Took the Fox shock off the frame last night and checked everything out. I am amazed at how smooth this shock is for a air shock! Buttery smooth! Everything works exceptionally well! Lockout and damping are excellent. I moved the shock to the B position too for the 4 inches of travel. Easy to do and everything is in like new condition. All axis points are in nice shape and the teflon bushings as well.
I am not big on carbon fiber for mountain bikes as it is brittle and a sharp blow can take out a whole frame out. However, the upper stays are really nice and they seem stiffer then aluminum. I like it. Being on the upper part they should be quite a bit more protected.
I am taking the frame down to the LBS today to get opinions on a head set. I like the upper end Cane Creek IS units. Not sure if they are Made in the USA but that really matters to me. Will find out more later today.
My goal is: *****EN DO EVERYTHING RIDE FOR MINIMAL DOLLARS. So far I am in it for just over 400.00 including shipping fees.
I almost bought a new Santa Cruz bike but I refuse to spend 3-Grand right now on a bike. I think I will like this one better when its done...................
Old 09-18-16, 07:27 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went to the bike store today. The kid did not know crap! Pulled out a headset and it was not the right one. He said I needed the fork to match it up correctly. I am calling Cane Creek in the morning. I looked at the new bikes when I was there. Some of the frames feel and look like plastic now. WOW!!! 6000.00 for a bike?? WITH NO MOTOR.....
I liked the Giant Anthem frames. Some looked to have welds on them but felt like plastic.
The kid liked my "Vintage" frame........................LOL!! I would not call it vintage.....but whatever........I would call myself more vintage. My frame is a 2003 and I like it better then the newer frames.........
Old 09-19-16, 10:07 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Morning guys,
Called Cane Creek this morning. I have 2 choices: The 40 series which is standard bearings and not as nice seals or...........the 110 series with stainless bearings and better seals aluminum covers and different colors!
So.............I found a 120.00 110 series IS41 set up for 15.00 new in box on ebay. If I get it, by the end of next week I will have the bombers on the frame with the new headset!
Old 09-19-16, 10:18 AM

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddSantora
Thank you sir! Straight and to the point. Alright, I will stick with my Shimano Hollowtech 2 BB and Deore XT cranks. I think they will suffice nicely.
That's what I would've recommended anyway. HT2 is pretty much the gold standard for BB.

Last edited by gsa103; 09-19-16 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-19-16, 10:20 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, The bombers may come in the mail today. This is going to be a fun build!!!! I am pretty excited to say the least! thumb:
Old 09-19-16, 10:24 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks gsa103. Its nice to have confirmation on these things!!! I have been out of the scene for quite a while.
Old 09-19-16, 03:47 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New fork seals showed up already!!! Just waiting on the forks now....
Old 09-19-16, 05:54 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downloaded the PDF file to overhaul the forks. Looks very simple. Seems they have rebound damping adjusters inside each leg. Happy they have them, just wish they where outside the legs like the newer forks. Will see how I like them once they are rebuilt. I can always upgrade with tapered bearings and go with a tapered newer fork.
But I wanted a awesome bike as cheap as possible but with great parts and performance. That Dirt jumper fork is still available on ebay for 65.00 and ithttps://youtu.be/7miRCLeFSJos brand new. MAn, I think with some tuning that would be a sweet fork for freeride, all mountain etc..........
Old 09-19-16, 08:32 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading the Marzocchi rebuild data. Not sure why they got away from this design. Could have been a multitude of factors, weight, cost, etc....
Here's a paragraph on how the bombers work. Total Dirtbike front forks.....

SSV and SSV Adjustable Found in 2000 model Z.1 Dropoff, Z.3 QR.20, Z.3 BAM 80, Z.3 M80, Jr. T; 1999 Z.1 Dropoff, Z.3 Long Travel, Z.3 Light; 1998 Z.3 Light, Jr. T " Marzocchi developed and has continued to use Speed Sensitive Valving (SSV) for 50 years " New for 2000 only: Easy access internal barrel adjuster for damping control (SSV Adjustable) " Via 4 internal valves, SSV automatically adjusts the compression damping based on bump speed " Wide range of tuning using oil viscosity, oil height, and the new internal barrel adjuster " The most reliable yet simple valve design ever
I will know "lickity Split" what year mine are once I pop them open! Im going with Motul 7.5W Synthetic fork oil. Will pick some up tomorrow....
Old 09-20-16, 06:43 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good new and bad news today:
Forks are still in Ohio $&&#:*-";$:*:*!!!!!!!!
Sometimes I wonder about the us post office!!! At any rate they are in route. Probably another week.
bad news #2.... I missed the headset!!!! So I'm looking for another. Forks are gone another for another week now anyways....
Good news: picked up the motul 7.5 weight synthetic fork oil for the shocks...
Also picked up the main pivot axle for the frame as a spare. 17.00 on Amazon!!
I like the frame slot. The more I look at it the more I like it....
Old 09-21-16, 07:38 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good news today: Headset in route!! Forks are now coming the right way. Should have them in no more then 4 business days!
I have decided to keep the front end a bit lower, as the headtube is so steep. I dont want to jack up the geometry of this frame. The seats gonna have to be higher then the stem! Thats ok. I have some cool ideas and it should be pretty comfy when done.
Parts parts parts........waiting on parts........
Old 09-23-16, 06:00 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi guys,
Been pretty busy. Picked up a few nice items for the bike:
Easton 85mm zero rise Stem. 50.00 free shipping. Its a beauty!
Easton carbon fiber Seatpost NOS!!! 38.00
Heres my bike stock factory

Heres my stem exactly but mines longer

Seat post.............I measured, I hope its long enough....it should be

Here's my exact stem pic. Looks super beefy!

More parts waiting. Found a brand new main link pin for the frame still in package on Amazong for 17.00! Not sure why I bought it but if it wears out or breaks I have one..........
What do you guys think for pedals? A platform with cleats in the middle so I can ride it both ways???
Old 09-23-16, 06:02 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I measured all body parts and the frame is a exact match. I dont want to deviate too much from the cockpit layout. I will have rise bars on it though. Should be alot of fun!!
Old 09-25-16, 09:35 AM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bombers are here finally! Next city over! I should have them tomorrow and maybe overhaul them tomorrow night! The headset is here as well. Goal this coming week is the following:
1. Overhaul fork with new seal kit and oil. Clean them up so they are good to go!
2. Install headset and forks on frame.
Im getting alot closer now. Should be a great ride for what I am doing. Will be alot of fun!
Old 09-25-16, 03:44 PM

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Have you got your derailleur, shifter, and cassette yet? I see Chain Reaction is having a Shimano Clearance sale, 10 speed 11-36 cassette, Shadow XT rear derailleur $54, XT 10 speed shifter $66, and they have the Sunrace 11-42 wide ratio 10 speed cassette for $84, everything to go 1x10 except the cable for just over $200
Old 09-25-16, 06:56 PM
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hig4s,
I have all XTR/XT components. Thanks for the great info. Those are really good prices. I am going to take a look anyways. Im up to about 650.00 now in the build. I also have Mavic wheels with tires already. All in great shape.
Still looking for bars and possibly a seat. I have a seat already, just kinda wanted a new one, but this specialized is pretty descent still.
Im super excited to try out the Marzocchi bombers and Fox rear shock with lock-out. Very curious to see what I can do with it and how it rides and performs.
Im trying to get some DH carbon bars with 38mm rise.
I ordered my pedals this morning. I got the new Crank Bros double shots. I can rid with any shoes or clip ins on the other side!

The flat side has nice contact patched on each side of the springs. These should work very well for what I want. The pedals always right up with the clips facing up for cleats.
I am really excited about these pedals! If I want to go for a quick ride to the market or post office or just messing around I can do it with my sneakers on! No problemo......
Heres some better info on the pedals! 58.99 on ebay with FREE shipping. Right up my alley.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.