Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Drop to straight/lever and shifter questions

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Drop to straight/lever and shifter questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-23, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
I got the first one done today. I went to the co-op and found this set of bars with the levers and stem for $7, and they threw in the set of grips (I will try to clean them up). I also got another set of similar bars w/o the levers for $2. The only other parts I used were a front and back cable. I used the old housing as they were a match to the shifter housings. I ran into a problem with a stiff RD but got that sorted on another thread. I am going to use the straight MB bars on the 2nd bike for a comparison to see how I like it. The bars are a big improvement over the drop bars for me, and I think it will be a better fit for the end user. Thanks for all the help thus far.
Likes For louky:
Old 01-17-23, 12:40 PM

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
I got the first one done today. I went to the co-op and found this set of bars with the levers and stem for $7, and they threw in the set of grips (I will try to clean them up). I also got another set of similar bars w/o the levers for $2. The only other parts I used were a front and back cable. I used the old housing as they were a match to the shifter housings. I ran into a problem with a stiff RD but got that sorted on another thread. I am going to use the straight MB bars on the 2nd bike for a comparison to see how I like it. The bars are a big improvement over the drop bars for me, and I think it will be a better fit for the end user. Thanks for all the help thus far.
despite my previous why bother comments

kudos

for 7 bucks that is a good way to go, minimal change, you get the experience and nicely done

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 01-18-23, 06:53 AM
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Ignore the haters

I would leave the shifting as is. Bar swap and brake lever swap should be pretty cheap and easy. Lots of old short pull levers out there.

I think you are totally correct in thinking that a flat bar will be more useful for the intended customer than drop bars.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-18-23, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 61 Posts
Nice job, it looks great and now a functional, comfortable,vintagish, city bike soon to find a new owner that cost you what? Roughly $10 and a couple hours work.
Old 01-19-23, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
This is the stable mate to the bike pictured above. I decided to utilize the donated straight bars on this one. I had to purchase the stem adaptor to use the bars. I also bought a set of cheap levers from amazon as I am planning on donating both these bikes this Sunday. This puts the parts on this one at about $24. It is comfortable to ride, but slightly less upright than the mustache bars. I think I prefer the look of the first one.
Likes For louky:
Old 01-21-23, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 436 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
. I also bought a set of cheap levers from amazon as I am planning on donating both these bikes this Sunday.
I'm surprised you managed to find short pull levers among all the lovely bargains on Amazon - most of the item descriptions don't seem very useful.