Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling events question

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling events question

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-10, 02:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pgjackson
So what I'm reading is that in races everyone is going for it balls-out. No slackers in the back just having a good time like in a 5K run.
You know how in a running race the real serious people, the ones who will be contesting for the win, line up in the first and second rows?

Bike races only have those people.
Old 12-10-10, 03:50 PM

Bikes: '99 ONCE Giant, '08 ORCA Orbea

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
You know how in a running race the real serious people, the ones who will be contesting for the win, line up in the first and second rows?

True indeed!
Old 12-10-10, 04:24 PM

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts

That is a very good way of putting it. I usually don't care where I start in a 5K.
Old 12-10-10, 07:51 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
To be honest I prefer to start at the back. Because you can have a much more significant speed differential on a bike (vs running) start position is much less critical.
Old 12-10-10, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Def not true.

Bike races only have people who THINK they deserve to be in the front.

In reality, only a handful of them in the Cat5 division deserve to be there. A typical newish Cat5 rider isn't fast at all - a typical runner contesting for the local overall win (18:xx 5ks) would easily cruise to the front in a Cat5 race after getting a little bit of experience on the bike.

But it's true that you pretty much don't have any "I'm here just to finish" folks in bike racing, which make up 95% of the participants in running races.
Old 12-10-10, 08:35 PM
moth -----> flame

Bikes: 11 CAAD 10-4, 07 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 98 Peugeot Horizon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

From my limited cat 5 experience in 2010, I'd second this. My first proper Cat 5 event was a hill climb, and the winning 5 time was good enough for 3rd in the 3's and mid pack in the Pro/1/2 field. I then tried a handful of crits - no idea why I ended up doing that, and it was a blast. Definitely get some pack riding experience or do a mentored event first though - it'll build your confidence and really improve your riding. Managing the surges seems key to me.
Old 12-10-10, 08:52 PM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
Originally Posted by hhnngg1
a typical runner contesting for the local overall win (18:xx 5ks)
Is that really a winning 5k time where you are? Tell me there are some steep hills in these courses, because I ran a low 18 at my first high school XC meet... 182nd place.
Old 12-10-10, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by urbanknight
Is that really a winning 5k time where you are? Tell me there are some steep hills in these courses, because I ran a low 18 at my first high school XC meet... 182nd place.
At my age an 18 minute 5K would probably win the age bracket. The overall winner is normally in the 15-16 minute range. I'm running the 21 minute range, depending on how hard I want to run that day.
Old 12-10-10, 09:52 PM

I guess what I'm learning here is that you just don't jump on your "10 speed" and sign up for a race like you would do for a 5K. I'm reading "The Roadie" right now. Although I have no desire to be a "roadie" I would like to get to the point where I could hang with the pack on a Cat IV/V crit or road race. Just like I have no desire to run a 15 minute 5K...but it's fun to finish in the top 25% of the age bracket. Sounds like staying with the pack takes a bit more training and race knowledge than simply running a 5K fun run.
Old 12-10-10, 10:57 PM
shut up and ride

Bikes: supersix hi-mod,burley duet tandem,woodrup track,cannondale cross,specialized road

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
Thurlow Rogers is incredibly strong, an all rounder that I'd compare to (relative to their respective peers) maybe a Stuart O'Grady. Not the best sprinter, not the best time trialer, and not the best climber, but 80% of the best in all of them.
close but wrong, thurlow is not a good sprinter and he rarely lets that happen because he's so strong in the other two
Old 12-10-10, 11:01 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
With bike racing, don't think in percentages. "Top half" etc. It's basically "in the money" or not. Top 3 (podium, even if it's just imaginary), top 6 or so (points for upgrades on your license, more places for certain qualifying race traits, less for others). Everyone else is The Pack, i.e. "I finished in the pack" or "I was off the back".

Some races won't score/publicize more than the places - 3 or 10 or whatever places. You got 11th? You may not get listed. It's actually unimportant in the scheme of race results other than showing you finished or not.

Bike racing is much less a measure of strength/fitness and much more a measure of tactical skill. This isn't true for time trials or climbing longish hills but, importantly, time trials don't count towards upgrades. Why? Because you can be brain dead and ride a really good time trial. You can be an absolute menace to the safety of others in a pack and still ride a time trial really, really fast. In fact I'm going to meet with someone who is petrified of riding in a group but does 27-28 mph time trials (and runs about a 5:30 minute pace for 5-10k races - she won the overall at a local-to-her race a few weeks ago). She's a friend of the family and is thinking about getting into bike racing.

For a long time road races counted for more points than crits. Road races require both tactical sense and fitness. Crits tend to measure tactical sense more than anything else.

Fitness-wise I'm probably a Cat 5 in a road race, Cat 4 or 5 in a time trial, but I'm a reasonable Cat 3 in a crit. Remember that in crits fitness is not the end all, it's tactics. One of my hardest races in 2010 was one where I averaged 179 watts for about 40 minutes. Kind of a joke right? But that was a Cat 3 race, a hotly contested one too, one of the big crits in the summer.

The reason bike racing is addictive to some (like me) and not to others is that tactically you can always improve. Although fitness gives you more tactical options, you can be unfit and do well. I raced against a guy whose belly literally hung on his top tube. It swayed back and forth when he was out of the saddle. I thought it was an absolute disgrace that this guy was in the same race as me, a Cat 3 or Cat 3-4 race.

But you know what? The short-ish quarter ton rider won the race. He demolished the field in the sprint. He rode a smart race and used his "former professional bronze medal in the Keirin" legs to propel all that extra fat and stuff across the line probably 50 feet in front of the next guy. He's an extremely astute tactician and used his brain to beat everyone else.

If he can do it, so can I. I won a field sprint at almost 200 lbs on an uphill finish in a Cat 3-4 race. My belly probably swayed too - I ride a size S Giant or a 52 Cannondale, and I'm 5'7". If I can do that, I can try to do as well at a lighter weight, with a much lighter bike, etc etc etc. So I come back and try to do better with whatever I have. It's frustratingly addictive.

cdr
Old 12-11-10, 12:10 AM
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At my age an 18 minute 5K would probably win the age bracket. The overall winner is normally in the 15-16 minute range. I'm running the 21 minute range, depending on how hard I want to run that day.
Age bracket.

The Carlsbad 5000 goes a wee bit faster than that for the fast guys. ;-)

-Z
Old 12-11-10, 12:23 AM

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The analog to a 5k fun run is a half-century bike ride, not a cat 5 bike race.
Old 12-11-10, 12:26 AM
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked 1,222 Times in 699 Posts
With bike racing, don't think in percentages. "Top half" etc. It's basically "in the money" or not. Top 3 (podium, even if it's just imaginary), top 6 or so (points for upgrades on your license, more places for certain qualifying race traits, less for others). Everyone else is The Pack, i.e. "I finished in the pack" or "I was off the back".
+1 Look at the results for a stage of the Tour de France. Most of the people (the pack) have the same finishing time.

Bike racing is much less a measure of strength/fitness and much more a measure of tactical skill.
The one caveat being that there is still a base fitness required that is well above what the average recreational cyclist has.
Old 12-11-10, 08:19 AM
Nerd

Bikes: Cervelo R3 SL, Cervelo P2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like staying with the pack takes a bit more training and race knowledge than simply running a 5K fun run.
I'm going to nominate this for "Understatement of the Year".
Old 12-11-10, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by DinoShepherd
Age bracket.

The Carlsbad 5000 goes a wee bit faster than that for the fast guys. ;-)

-Z
Isn't that one advertised as the "World's Fastest 5K"? I think my wife ran that one. It's pretty much all downhill, right?