Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-18, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unclejemima
I think the updated site has some new photos. No matter how long this is taking, you gotta admit its a pretty sexy bike.
Those photos were updated a good long while ago. The 'production bike' in the most recent videos has some very clear differences including amongst other tweaks:
- Black front fork locking knob
- A small black bumper on the front fork to protect the frame
- No bulge in the seatpost
- Distinctive seatpost / saddle interface for sliding seat
- Black rubber rings on the apex of the rear triangle
- More cable guides, with a slightly diferent look
- Neater cable routing on the rear triangle
Still looks really good.
Old 11-25-18, 03:29 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wesgreen
My admiration for your optimism increases year after year.
is based on the backer updates which, whilst cagey, and unreliable on timing, are otherwise confidence inspiring.
Old 11-25-18, 03:35 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gibsonsean
Hoping for a big backer update this weekend or next.
Short note posted last night saying the next update will be this coming week.

The previous update set the expectation that this would include final checkout instructions and a delivery schedule. We'll see.

There is still a chance I'll have my bike in time for a Christmas trip to Spain but I'm more confident I'll have it before Spring.
Old 11-25-18, 03:41 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
Oh good, more pre-orders to fall in line behind the last pre-orders which will all be met before the backer bikes are shipped. This is moving along splendidly.
As ever, I hope that your cynisism is misplaced. I think the signs are good. Let's see what the next update brings.
Old 11-25-18, 03:47 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unclejemima
I mean 22lbs...that's carbon fiber s-works hardtail weight range...for a folder!!!
The Hummingbird is less than 7kg if that floats your boat. They even have an e-version at around 10kg.
Old 11-25-18, 04:06 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Real weight of a real bike. Available now; for a few decades actually.
The only 10kg option on Brompton website is currently out of stock
Old 11-25-18, 04:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yes, but I think most people that ordered a Helix don't want a Brompton for various reasons, so going on about currently available bikes, none of which have the same combination of decently large wheels, titanium frame, uncompromising folded dimensions, light weight, disc brakes and reasonable price, is kind of pointless. This thread is over 50 pages long now, so reading these comments gets really boring after a while, and yes, so does waiting for Helix to actually ship, but I am at least interested in that.

If someone else makes a bike with most or all of the features of Helix, then posting about that here might be of interest to Helix buyers and detractors alike
Old 11-25-18, 04:36 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFlamey
Yes, but I think most people that ordered a Helix don't want a Brompton for various reasons, so going on about currently available bikes, none of which have the same combination of decently large wheels, titanium frame, uncompromising folded dimensions, light weight, disc brakes and reasonable price, is kind of pointless. This thread is over 50 pages long now, so reading these comments gets really boring after a while, and yes, so does waiting for Helix to actually ship, but I am at least interested in that.

If someone else makes a bike with most or all of the features of Helix, then posting about that here might be of interest to Helix buyers and detractors alike
well said!
Old 11-25-18, 01:58 PM

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts

We're just coming out of 2-and-a-half weeks of the air being too smokey to go outside here in California USA. You'd be amazed how exciting this boring thread is right now.
Old 11-25-18, 07:01 PM
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 857 Times in 599 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
We're just coming out of 2-and-a-half weeks of the air being too smokey to go outside here in California USA. You'd be amazed how exciting this boring thread is right now.
Be safe sir,...my heart goes out to Cali!!!
Old 11-25-18, 08:55 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Be safe sir,...my heart goes out to Cali!!!
Was going to say the same. Hope those fires stop burning soon.
Old 11-26-18, 06:23 PM

Bikes: Tyrell CSI, Dahon Mu LT11, Doppelganger Aurora 219

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Site only mentions that the company will start taking people's money(again!) in 2019.
But does it say anywhere when they will deliver 1 bike? Year? Decade?

2013 Brompton S6L-X by 1nterceptor, on Flickr
That weight is meant to be good?... Confused.
Old 11-26-18, 08:12 PM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 97 Posts

The Tyrell IVE, Birdy and Brompton comes to mind.
On the other end, there is Change Bike with their 700c and MTB versions.
Old 11-27-18, 01:41 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
The Tyrell IVE, Birdy and Brompton comes to mind.
On the other end, there is Change Bike with their 700c and MTB versions.
Not seen the Tyrell or the Change before. Both are interesting. Tyrell is kinda halfway between a Brompton and a Helix in terms of folding approach and tyre size (18") but without the refinement of either and by all accounts doesn't ride as well as a Brommie. Change is much like the Montague in terms of fold and requires removal of the front wheel.

None hit the sweet spot, for me, that Helix will - really elegant and practical fold/unfold, nearly as compact as the Brommie folded (same width and height, just 3" longer), normalish geometry, 24" wheels good for mild rough stuff, as light as the lightest Brommie, rolls on its wheels when folded,10 speed (in my case) but easily changed to single or 11 speed Alfine, aesthetically and mechanically pleasing, and a bargain for what it is imo. Remains to be seen what ride and reliability are like. And tyre options.... hmmm.

Yes, i know, it is not available yet - it will be, soon enough.
Old 11-27-18, 01:46 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Oops, basically just paraphrased Mr Flamey's post. Sorry.
Old 11-28-18, 05:22 AM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
And tyre options.... hmmm.
Yeah, I think we had a discussion about that a few pages back and it's probably my biggest worry, aside from the obvious possibility of it not being a good bike or having to wait another year for it. Hopefully the existing slim 24" tyres won't all be discontinued, but most tyres in that size are too fat
Old 11-28-18, 07:35 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1677 Post(s)
Liked 1,839 Times in 1,068 Posts
Hopefully the existing slim 24" tires won't all be discontinued, but most tires in that size are too fat
Not to worry --> Kickstarter campaign to fund tire mold.
Old 11-29-18, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 97 Posts
Not seen the Tyrell or the Change before. Both are interesting. Tyrell is kinda halfway between a Brompton and a Helix in terms of folding approach and tyre size (18") but without the refinement of either and by all accounts doesn't ride as well as a Brommie. Change is much like the Montague in terms of fold and requires removal of the front wheel.

None hit the sweet spot, for me, that Helix will - really elegant and practical fold/unfold, nearly as compact as the Brommie folded (same width and height, just 3" longer), normalish geometry, 24" wheels good for mild rough stuff, as light as the lightest Brommie, rolls on its wheels when folded,10 speed (in my case) but easily changed to single or 11 speed Alfine, aesthetically and mechanically pleasing, and a bargain for what it is imo. Remains to be seen what ride and reliability are like. And tyre options.... hmmm.

Yes, i know, it is not available yet - it will be, soon enough.

The Tyrell IVE rides great.
I have had it for 3 years now riding it for x3 200km Audax, 3 major cycling tours, multiple other rides.
Rides better than a B for sure as I have used my brother's one before.
Standard bike drive train and good deraileur shifting.

If I am to do it all over again, I'd get the Change Bike. (Thats from someone who has had a Moulton, a BF pocket rocket super pro, and a couple of other bikes).
Folds compact (well thought out fold too)
All the advantages of 700c
The only times I will fold the bike is for travel.
Someone who wants to do last mile type cycling will of course have different needs.
Old 11-29-18, 03:15 PM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
The Tyrell IVE rides great.
I have had it for 3 years now riding it for x3 200km Audax, 3 major cycling tours, multiple other rides.
Rides better than a B for sure as I have used my brother's one before.
Standard bike drive train and good deraileur shifting.

If I am to do it all over again, I'd get the Change Bike. (Thats from someone who has had a Moulton, a BF pocket rocket super pro, and a couple of other bikes).
Folds compact (well thought out fold too)
All the advantages of 700c
The only times I will fold the bike is for travel.
Someone who wants to do last mile type cycling will of course have different needs.
In what ways did you feel the Tyrell rides better than Brompton?

Re. Change, gave you tried one? How did it compare to your Moulton?
Old 12-01-18, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interested in purchasing buy in

Is there someone on here who wanted to sell, there initial buy in? Is it transferable?

Thanks,
Benjamin
Old 12-02-18, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Short note posted last night saying the next update will be this coming week.

The previous update set the expectation that this would include final checkout instructions and a delivery schedule. We'll see.

There is still a chance I'll have my bike in time for a Christmas trip to Spain but I'm more confident I'll have it before Spring.
any coming week news?
Old 12-03-18, 06:08 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by zz_frankz
any coming week news?
next update has been deferred a couple more days.
Old 12-03-18, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You mean another bike that is delayed for years would be very welcome in this thread? To me the biggest difference between a Brompton and a Helix is not their wheel size or frame material. The biggest difference is that the Brompton actually exists. Beyond that, all comparison is hypothetical. It's like comparing your spouse to some movie character. The movie character might seem way better looking, they own a big house, can do kung fu, etc. ... . But one is real and one is not.
Old 12-04-18, 01:28 AM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ladi
You mean another bike that is delayed for years would be very welcome in this thread? To me the biggest difference between a Brompton and a Helix is not their wheel size or frame material. The biggest difference is that the Brompton actually exists. Beyond that, all comparison is hypothetical. It's like comparing your spouse to some movie character. The movie character might seem way better looking, they own a big house, can do kung fu, etc. ... . But one is real and one is not.
Rather binary. More like buying a house off plan. Your house isn't built yet but you have seen the show home, the blueprints, the site and the building works. You can compare what the house will be like to another house that has already been built.
Old 12-04-18, 03:16 PM

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
An interim update posted deferring the full update. As ever, progress being made, convincingly evidenced, but things are taking longer than anticipated. A bit of an indication given on delivery schedule but taken with a pinch of salt - I think it'll be January before I see my bike and we won't really know production rates until bikes are actually shipping.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.