Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your "I should have known this" story

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 06:36 AM

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts

Question came to mind in my response to a post in another thread regarding things I probably should have known but didn't or just didn't think about. I recently had one of those do'h experiences when I was repairing a flat (was doing it at home so had my floor pump). I was thinking my floor pump may have been having issues with inflation as the seal around the stem didn't seem to be holding for one of my tubes. So, I figured I'd test the floor pump on my new tube before inserting it into the tire. I started Inflating the tube and got to probably not even 35 psi - the tube was looking deformed (like a snake swallowing a rat) and, of course, exploded. I brought it back to the LBS thinking it was a defective tube and, of course, they gave me that "what were you thinking by trying to inflate a tube AT ALL outside the tire". It was pretty embarrassing and I realized that was something I definitely should have known not to do.

Have you had any situations where, once it happened, you had that "how could I NOT have known this" moment?
Old 12-06-18, 06:44 AM

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
I've inflated a bare tube outside the tire all the time whenever I have to check for a puncture, but not to the shape of a doughnut.
Old 12-06-18, 09:09 AM

Bikes: 1989 Trek 400, 2000 Lemond Buenos Aires, 2013 GT Attack, 2017 Lynskey R250

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
A few weeks ago I couldn't shift into the smallest cogs, so I assumed I needed to adjust the rear derailleur. I got the bike on my stand and tried to adjust, but couldn't get it to shift properly. I released the cable and it got to a point where the shifter didn't seem to be shifting, so I assumed it was a bad shifter.
Brought it to the shop and within a few minutes they had a new cable in and all is well.

I should have known that
Old 12-06-18, 09:13 AM

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18446 Post(s)
Liked 15,678 Times in 7,369 Posts
When I was touring across the country I got lost and realized I should have known to take that left turn at Albuquerque.

And with that, I have reached 20,000 posts. to me!
Old 12-06-18, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Old 12-06-18, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by indyfabz
When I was touring across the country I got lost and realized I should have known to take that left turn at Albuquerque.

Old 12-06-18, 10:58 AM

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I installed a new chain and cassette on my Roubaix, and just couldn't get the chain chatter to quiet down. Lube, barrell adjust, nothing worked. I even loaned the bike to an out of town visitor, hoping he would want to buy it. I began to hate that bike. Following a 50 mile ride in pouring rain, I was checking things over, cleaning and re-lubing everything. I saw that I had routed the chain on the outside of some kind of guard tab on the cage next to the jockey wheel. It was intermittent, depending on cage rotation. The really dumb part of this is that it was my second time to make this mistake... on another bike. All quiet now, and the bike is a pleasure to ride again.
Old 12-06-18, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 421 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I installed a new chain and cassette on my Roubaix, and just couldn't get the chain chatter to quiet down. Lube, barrell adjust, nothing worked. I even loaned the bike to an out of town visitor, hoping he would want to buy it. I began to hate that bike. Following a 50 mile ride in pouring rain, I was checking things over, cleaning and re-lubing everything. I saw that I had routed the chain on the outside of some kind of guard tab on the cage next to the jockey wheel. It was intermittent, depending on cage rotation. The really dumb part of this is that it was my second time to make this mistake... on another bike. All quiet now, and the bike is a pleasure to ride again.
Ha. I've done that, too, but noticed it right away while it was on the stand and I tried clicking through the gears.

My contribution: when routing shifter cables, you need to make sure that they're routed under cycle computer sensor wires. Had to replace a cycle computer mount and sensor set due to that brain fart. I just didn't think of it.
Old 12-06-18, 12:04 PM

Wow, I'm excited that I'm part of history in the making!
Old 12-06-18, 12:17 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I'm just absolutely amazed that you got a bike tube up to 35 PSI before it exploded.
Old 12-06-18, 01:13 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
retrospectively

R60 Friction steering damper is not as good as the hydraulic one on the R69,
on BMW Motorbikes,
in curing, or more like masking , fork oscillations..
of some what imbalanced wheels..

Old 12-06-18, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2503 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I'm just absolutely amazed that you got a bike tube up to 35 PSI before it exploded.
It was nowhere near 35 psi. Try pumping up a tube outside a tire (wear hearing protection) using a pump with a gauge; you might not even see the needle on the gauge move before the tube explodes.

I once worked in a bike shop that had been open 45 years (since the 1930s); the shop had a very old handmade wire form about the size and shape of a motorcycle tire, the idea being that to find a slow leak in a tube from a balloon-tire bike, you'd insert the tube, inflate it enough to expand to fill the form, and plunge it into a sink filled with water to find the leak.
Old 12-06-18, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
It was nowhere near 35 psi. Try pumping up a tube outside a tire (wear hearing protection) using a pump with a gauge; you might not even see the needle on the gauge move before the tube explodes.
I agree. That's why I said I'd be amazed at any inner tube being pumped up to 35 PSI before exploding. That's about the pressure that normal car tires use.
Old 12-06-18, 01:58 PM

One time, upon failing to remove the NDS crank arm from an old vintage bike on account of me stripping the threads on the crank arm because I did not seat the crank arm remover tight enough, I attempted to take a hacksaw to the crank. Eventually I did manage to get it off without cutting it, though I forget what I used. I should have known to make sure crank arm remover was seated all the way and tightly.
Old 12-06-18, 02:03 PM

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I tried to remove the freehub from a fairly nice hub that was not laced to a rim. Lacking the necessary grip and leverage, I came up with the brilliant idea to use a set of vice grips to hold the hub. The vice grips mutilated the hub and basically ruined it.

Like I said it was a rather nice hub... I'm still ashamed enough that I'm not going to reveal what kind of hub it was.
Old 12-06-18, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Yeah, this was a seriously heavy duty tube! Sometimes I marvel that I've stayed alive 65 years
Old 12-06-18, 10:52 PM
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts

Reminds me of an old cartoon by MacNelly (the "Shoe" strip). The rumpled "Perfessor" Cosmo T. Fishhawk, a writer for the local "Treetops Tattler" newpaper, asks the editor Martin P. Shoemaker for an advance. The dialog went something like this:
Shoe: "An advance!? Again? What happened to the advance I gave you last Friday?"
Cosmo: "Well, I spent some at the bar, and a lot more chasing women. I lost a bundle at the track...".
Cut to the next panel:
Cosmo: "The rest, I'm afraid, i spent foolishly".

Just think what you could have done with the time it took for 20K posts. You could have learned Italian. You could have learned to silver solder, and built yourself a custom mid-70s Cinelli knock-off!

Seriously, though, I've learned a lot from your posts, Indyfabz. Congrats on the milestone.
Old 12-06-18, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 348 Posts
Brand new crankset, went out for a test ride, the crank-side pedal came loose and stripped out half the threads of the crank. I usually double check nut/bolt tightness.
I should have known this.
Old 12-08-18, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I did that once. Luckily, I caught it within a mile or so.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 12-08-18, 07:08 PM

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3259 Post(s)
Liked 2,100 Times in 1,190 Posts
I removed a set of mt. bike grips, hated the feel. I usually pry up the outside end of the grip with a flat screw driver then spray some Windex in, loosens it right up, old grip off, new grip on and the Windex drys out and leaves the grip nice and tight.

Last time I couldn't find the Windex so used som WD40. Mistake. A year later and the grips rotate like a motorcycle throttle, Vroom, Vroom. Great.

I tried cleaning. Nope. Tonight I'm trying some Glue Stick stuff. Doubt it'll work so expect to be buying new grips.
Old 12-08-18, 08:06 PM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts

WTG! Got any tips for someone else hoping to someday reach the lofty plateau of 20 grand posts? (Retiring at the end of December should help free up some time for productive posting.)
Old 12-08-18, 09:15 PM
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,801 Posts

I'm disappointed. Your 20k post should have been: ****

🤣
Old 12-09-18, 07:31 AM

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
Trying to remove a square taper crank with the washer still on the end of the BB spindle (it didn't come out with the crank bolt). I'm lucky I didn't pull the threads out of the crank.

Breaking a drive side pedal loose without having the chain up on the largest ring because I was "in a hurry". Note to self, it takes less time to put the chain on the big ring than it does to clean and dress a gash from the teeth.
Old 12-09-18, 08:55 AM

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I once overinflated my tire at a gas station pump to the point of explosion. I should have known that the pressure ratings are meant seriously. The fun part was that I was running one of these slime-filled inner tubes...
My bike was 'repainted' to faint green within the time span of a loud 'boom'.
Old 12-09-18, 11:16 AM
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I put a petrol engine on a 1970s Ellswick Hopper, nearly killed myself on the thing, then decided it was probably better without the engine.

I should've known that.

In my defence, the engine is still on it - because it's funny AF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.