Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Raise saddle after moving it forward?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Raise saddle after moving it forward?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-14, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
... Anyone have a formula for this?...
Yes. You do. You learned it in your high school trig class, no?
Old 01-11-14, 03:49 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Looigi
Yes. You do. You learned it in your high school trig class, no?
Not exactly. The formula I came up with was arrived at by assuming the "effective seat tube angle" or seat to BB angle (whatever you want to call it) didn't change with the small shift in the saddle position. Actually it is about 0.33 degree. I just ignored the change. To get it right you have to know the length of the arc between the old seat position and the new seat position. You can approximate that by just using the distance you shifted the saddle horizontally, but it is actually larger than that. The answer doesn't have to be so close anyway. But I can't remember studying how to find any of this exactly, except by RollCNY's method
Old 01-11-14, 06:04 PM

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I think I used to be able to do the math but I don't know.

Now I use the layman's method - I put a tape measure between the BB and the saddle and I rotate forward around the BB axle. As I rotate the tape measure I see that it needs to go up a bit.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 01-11-14, 06:18 PM

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I think I used to be able to do the math but I don't know.

Now I use the layman's method - I put a tape measure between the BB and the saddle and I rotate forward around the BB axle. As I rotate the tape measure I see that it needs to go up a bit.
Yep. My purpose in doing a calculation was to just get a sense of the size of the correction needed. I wanted to tell whether I needed to worry about it or could just ignore it. When I actually picked up the wrench to do it, I used the tape measure method you mentioned to determine when I got it right.
Old 01-11-14, 06:23 PM
Rolling along

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I keep looking for the answer to this question, but all I can find is the reverse: the need to move a saddle forward to maintain knee position after raising it. That is not what I am asking. I want to know how much do I have to raise my saddle after moving it forward (for whatever reason). I'm thinking the reach to the crank will have been shortened as the saddle moves more directly over it, not much but some. Anyone have a formula for this? I moved my saddle forward 1 cm.

I did a really quick and dirty approximation that suggests the amount the saddle has to be raised x is about y(cos theta) where y is how much I move the saddle forward and theta is the seat tube angle. Assuming 73 deg I get roughly 0.3 of the distance moved forward (or backward and lowering the saddle). So for my 1 cm change, I would need to raise the saddle about 3 mm. Not only is that a very small amount, but my seat post is stuck, so I will likely ignore it for now. At least until I decide if I like the new knee position. I know the saddle height will affect this, but I will work it out as I go.

Nevertheless, I would be interested in hearing what other folks come up with.

Thanks.

Robert

That would be .3mm of upward movement or to be precise, a pair of new cycling shorts

Last edited by ursle; 01-11-14 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-11-14, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by ursle
That would be .3mm of upward movement or to be precise, a pair of new cycling shorts
No, I moved the saddle 1 cm forward or 10 mm. So 0.3 of that is 3 mm. Sorry for the confusion switching units, but I think I did write it correctly ignoring that.
Old 01-11-14, 07:55 PM
Rolling along

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No, I moved the saddle 1 cm forward or 10 mm. So 0.3 of that is 3 mm. Sorry for the confusion switching units, but I think I did write it correctly ignoring that.
mybad, that's a lot of upward movement, missed it
Old 01-12-14, 07:30 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is your knee angle (goniometer) and length from seat to pedal, and length from pedal to patella (posterior)
Old 01-12-14, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kamau
What is your knee angle (goniometer) and length from seat to pedal, and length from pedal to patella (posterior)
I don't know. It's more empirical for me.
Old 01-12-14, 10:07 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know. It's more empirical for me.
Moving your seat height the same as your saddle will maintain the position of the knee. If the saddle is moved 1cm forward, the saddle must go 1cm higher to maintain knee position.

Picture this exaggerated version where your knee starts at 90 degree angle while seated, pedal frozen in place. Imagine the saddle moved forward all the way to where the knee originally was, now raise the saddle straight upward the exact distance it traveled forward. The knee is now in its original location.

Edit: After drawing it out, I see that this will only work at 90 degree angles. The multiplier isn't a single number.

Last edited by Kamau; 01-12-14 at 10:41 PM. Reason: Just saw this is already posted