Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Want to tour

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Want to tour

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-19, 07:59 AM

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by tinsley
I have been looking at biking around lake champlain for a while. It is on my to do list. Gearing? 21 speeds? loL
Probably the easiest path..

Specifically what bike do you have? Make? Model? Year? I assume it's stock..no significant changes since purchased?

A photo would be great as well(we like photos..

I'd guess your bike is a good candidate for what you want to do. If we know the specific bike we might be able to highlight any general concerns.
Old 05-06-19, 08:10 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
I have been looking at biking around lake champlain for a while. It is on my to do list. Gearing? 21 speeds? loL
its a fun area to bike around. Generally flattish, and doesnt matter what bike, as long as you can ride it comfortably.
Doesnt matter also about 21 speeds, that will work fine.
We once did a two day thing around the islands, staying at a small local motel one night and doing two diff day rides around.
The motel unfortunately doesnt exit anymore as far as I can tell, probably damaged from that big storm that did so much flooding and damage to the area about 10 years ago, Hurricane somethingorother.
Old 05-06-19, 09:20 AM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Ride what you got, and don't worry about it.

Then if you decide you might like a different bike, you'll want to remember that not all drop bar bikes are set up with the bars 6" below the saddle. With the right stem (and spacers if the new bike has a threadless headset), you should be able to get even drop bars up even with the saddle, or an inch or two above. It's really nice to have a bunch of different hand positions, so you can move them around every 10-15 minutes.
Old 05-06-19, 09:29 AM
djb

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Ride what you got, and don't worry about it.

Then if you decide you might like a different bike, you'll want to remember that not all drop bar bikes are set up with the bars 6" below the saddle. With the right stem (and spacers if the new bike has a threadless headset), you should be able to get even drop bars up even with the saddle, or an inch or two above. It's really nice to have a bunch of different hand positions, so you can move them around every 10-15 minutes.
one cannot emphasize how true and important this statement is.
My wife was convinced that dropbars were "uncomfortable"---took me nearly 20 years to convince here by finally getting a bike that had the proper seat to bars distance, AND a good, slightly higher than seat bars position.

Its obvious that all dropbar bikes she had ridden were too big for her, so much to far distance seat to bars, and they were probably low also.

Changing hand positions all the time is key to body comfort, so even with a great fit and bars position, I switch up my hand positions on my dropbar bikes ALL the time, I dont even think about it anymore, but every few minutes or so, I switch--it changes the hand pressures, changes the neck angle, changes the back angle and muscles

straight bars without bar end thingees are the worst for this, as you whole body is locked into this one position.
Old 05-06-19, 02:51 PM
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
No need to carry all of your stuff, and there is nothing wrong with wanting to avoid camping or take an organized tour. I've been bike touring for decades, and not once have I carried a sleeping bag or a cooking pot. I do credit card touring, and everything I take squeezes into two panniers, a daypack (which I strap to the top of the rear rack), a fanny pack, and a small "wedge" pack under the seat (for a few basic tools). I am not a mechanical wunderkind, so if something happens to my bike that is beyond my skill set, I have always managed to hobble to a bicycle shop.
Old 05-06-19, 03:25 PM
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Count Teeth?

I did; 13-34t 6 speed freewheel 24,40,50 t triple crank 18 'speeds'.. 21 speeds is 7 x 3...
Old 05-06-19, 05:41 PM
djb

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I did; 13-34t 6 speed freewheel 24,40,50 t triple crank 18 'speeds'.. 21 speeds is 7 x 3...
oh yeah? I did it on a 52/42 probably 13-28 "12 speed", 6x2
so there ;-)

lake champlain was fine, it was later in Vermont and etc that it was kinda hard and had to walk sometimes.

but I didnt know any better and still had a good time.