Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Carbon or steel fork

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Carbon or steel fork

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-13, 06:20 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyb
I've always bought my frames with a fork that was designed by the company to work with that frame.
If you want a softer ride, put on puffier tires. Btw, my bikes have carbon forks. Just sold a 78 Paramount with probably a pretty decent steel fork, and it didn't ride any better than my all carbon bike.
+1, whatever you decide, go with a fork that was designed for that frame. My 88 Nishiki Ariel is proof that us novices can really screw up the handling of a bike by changing the rake of the fork designed for that frame.
BTW, If I could go with either and still have good handling, I'd go with carbon for pure shock absorption it is great.
Old 10-28-13, 11:41 AM
Dharma Dog

Bikes: Rodriguez Shiftless street fixie with S&S couplers, Kuwahara tandem, Trek carbon, Dolan track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wogster
The benefit of a steel fork is simple, in a severe crash where steel is forced beyond it's deformation point it will deform (read bend). Carbon fibre when forced beyond it's deformation point, will splinter. Of course the difference between a fork that bends and one that shatters, could be the difference between calling a driver a dumb*ss, and paying for a good chunk of your dentist's new Porsche....
My own exerience with a carbon fork on a steel frame is that the frame will crumple before the carbon splinters. I once had my bike completely lock up the front wheel when a broken fender stay was caught by the front tire at around 25 kmh. The fork survived completely intact, but the steel frame was toast (so was my helmet, btw!). This was a steel frame, so there'd be stress risers at the end of the head lug below the downtube, or at the end of the front butted section of the downtube. Anyway, downtubes are not designed to absorb the force of a direct hit from the front, so would be more likely to give than a fork, especially one made of carbon fiber, which would usually be much stronger than one made of steel (for a given weight).

Also, a carbon fork designed for disc brake use would be much heavier than a normal rim-brake fork. I've seen weights closer to 500-650 grams for disc brake forks, vs 300-350 for a light rim brake fork. The disc brake fork is one place where I would NOT file off those stupid lawyer tabs!

Luis
Old 10-28-13, 02:09 PM

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lhbernhardt
My own exerience with a carbon fork on a steel frame is that the frame will crumple before the carbon splinters. I once had my bike completely lock up the front wheel when a broken fender stay was caught by the front tire at around 25 kmh. The fork survived completely intact, but the steel frame was toast (so was my helmet, btw!). This was a steel frame, so there'd be stress risers at the end of the head lug below the downtube, or at the end of the front butted section of the downtube. Anyway, downtubes are not designed to absorb the force of a direct hit from the front, so would be more likely to give than a fork, especially one made of carbon fiber, which would usually be much stronger than one made of steel (for a given weight).

Also, a carbon fork designed for disc brake use would be much heavier than a normal rim-brake fork. I've seen weights closer to 500-650 grams for disc brake forks, vs 300-350 for a light rim brake fork. The disc brake fork is one place where I would NOT file off those stupid lawyer tabs!

Luis
Gee, I would rather bend the fork then crack the frame..... There are lots of bikes around from the 1970's where the steel fork is bent, and they are still ridden every day. Of course a CF fork could be damaged internally in a crash, then fail later on, like when your going down dead man's drop at 45km/h.....
Old 10-29-13, 01:14 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
I have both and switched different forks in and out. The thing about a carbon fork ... if it takes a hard whack with a side stress, maybe racked with other bikes or a fall over - you just don't know. Maybe you can spot a stress crack, maybe not. And, I don't think carbon rides any better than a good steel fork, it's just about saving a little weight.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 10-29-13 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-29-13, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wife rides a Ibis Spanky to and from work. Early 90's bike with a carbon fork. Still tickin. Kestrel Evoke has carbon fork, Bianchi Ti has carbon, Tandem also. Proteus has steel fork, 531 with a flat crown, mid 70's bike and rides real nice. No issues with any so far.
Old 10-29-13, 09:51 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
As I said earlier, the reliability of carbon is not an issue for me. My current mountain bike, that is used off-road a lot and takes a fair bit of punishment, has 17 year old carbon suspension forks and they've not given me any worries (says he, pushing his luck).
Old 10-30-13, 08:44 AM
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
As I said earlier, the reliability of carbon is not an issue for me. My current mountain bike, that is used off-road a lot and takes a fair bit of punishment, has 17 year old carbon suspension forks and they've not given me any worries (says he, pushing his luck).
Wasn't a lot of that early stuff carbon wrap on aluminum? I haven't seen first gen carbon thru and thru on mountain bikes. Steerer tube aluminum?
Old 10-30-13, 10:32 AM
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Wasn't a lot of that early stuff carbon wrap on aluminum? I haven't seen first gen carbon thru and thru on mountain bikes. Steerer tube aluminum?
In many cases they were carbon wrap, but I believe that many of the Pace forks were full carbon legs, including my RC36 Evo fork. Steerer tubes were a choice of steel or aluminium. I'm no expert however, and someone more knowledgeable than I may know otherwise.