Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Good, reliable friction FD to replace Suntour Superbe Pro?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Good, reliable friction FD to replace Suntour Superbe Pro?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-19, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,541 Times in 3,373 Posts
It is rare that I'll break a derailleur. For a used one, watch that the cage isn't nearly worn through, and you aren't missing pieces like the cage bolts.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Isn't pretty much any FD "friction compatible"?
Precisely. As long as the cable pull is moderately compatible with the levers, it doesn't make much difference.

Originally Posted by Hudson308
My vote is for a Suntour Spirt. In addition to rock solid dependability, it also has reverse-pull action. This means both shifters move in the same direction as each other when up-shifting or down-shifting. Oh, and they're usually inexpensive.
I think a couple of Suntour derailleurs have the reverse pull. I haven't used one, but it always seemed like an interesting feature worth trying. I'm not sure why it never took on.
Old 12-27-19, 06:25 PM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Precisely. As long as the cable pull is moderately compatible with the levers, it doesn't make much difference.
As covered in the previous posts- that's not always the case- the sculpting on some modern derailleur cages will not pick up from a ring it's not designed to pick up from. Drag it all day across the chain- it's not picking up.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 12-27-19, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18423 Post(s)
Liked 4,541 Times in 3,373 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
As covered in the previous posts- that's not always the case- the sculpting on some modern derailleur cages will not pick up from a ring it's not designed to pick up from. Drag it all day across the chain- it's not picking up.
I had that happen with an older Shimano Alivio or Altus derailleur, triple.

Used, well worn stuff, I don't know the history of the bike/cranks/derailleur. My interpretation was that the derailleur not only didn't pick up the chain, but actually folded over the top of the chain and effectively trapped and prevented the chain from hopping up.

I ended up raising the derailleur by about 1/4", and it was able to shift through all the gears.

It is a point, however, that not all derailleurs are made equal.

Many of the cheaper Vintage bikes had a cable stop on the front derailleur which is rare on modern bikes.

Almost all road bikes are bottom pull, but MTBs (and cyclocross) can be either top pull or bottom pull.

A lot of MTB derailleurs take up more space behind the seattube than road derailleurs, and might not fit with road tires.

Double and Triple derailleurs have diverged over the years, and may not be compatible.
Old 12-28-19, 10:59 AM
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 2609 Post(s)
Liked 1,708 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Double and Triple derailleurs have diverged over the years, and may not be compatible.
That's so true!

Just in my experience with the DA 7803 and 7700 derailleurs-

First, based on my experience with every other FD ever, I would have expected the triple to work flawlessly.

Second, I would have NOT expected the double derailleur to work through all 3 chainrings. I just being anal/dorky about having DA derailleurs on there.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 01-05-20, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I got a brand new Cyclone MII all set up on the bike, and also switched on my 53/42 crankset. It's so interesting to open up a 40 year old box...

The cyclone looks really similar to the superbe FD, and by hand I can't tell which one weighs more. However it is significantly longer than the superbe, and it was a bit tricky to set up. I typically align the outer FD plate to be perfectly parallel with the outer chainring, but when I did that, I got rub in every gear except big-smallest and small-biggest. So I angled the back end of the derailleur a little bit towards the frame, and now I can run through 7 of 8 gears without trimming the FD. It seems to shift well, but I've got the bike in the trainer so unclear how it'll hold up in the real world, I expect it'll do great.