Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should I swap bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should I swap bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-20, 08:28 PM

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7654 Post(s)
Liked 3,491 Times in 1,843 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Some people ride larger or smaller sizes than recommended. It is whatever is comfortable or personal preference. And torso length plays a big part.
This.

If you plan to do the swap or to buy another bike ... sit on it a while to make sure it is what you want.

Good bicycles last a long time. parts can be replaced (though it gets pricey) but the frame should last a lifetime.

Yes, you can manage with an off--sized frame .... but do you want to spend the next ten years "managing" a mis-sized bike and wishing you had a different one?
Old 08-22-20, 09:22 AM

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked 2,174 Times in 1,325 Posts
The other change are the handlebars. A shorter stem only locates the bar for riding on the tops. Getting a more compact bar with less reach and drop will determine comfort on the hoods or in the drops.

Depending on the OP’s desired bar height, the stem angle can be changed or even flip-flopped. Since we are only talking 1.5cm between the two size top tubes, a lot can be slightly shaded to pick up a little here and a little there.

Stand over height is the one show stopper. Our next door neighbor is less than 5’8” and he was gifted a 60cm Allez. He rode that bike for a number of years until our much taller son bought it; and then left it in our garage.

I’ve ridden that bike after making enough changes to make it more comfortable (have no idea how our neighbor was able to ride it with a 140mm stem). But no matter what I do there needs to be a concerted effort when stopping to avoid that top tube. If the OP has a significant stand over issue, then he’ll need to go to a smaller frame or a lot of the fun of riding goes away.

John
Old 08-27-20, 08:30 AM
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeker56
Just to add.. the other guy does not know my bike has been ridden much less.. we have only agreed to meet and inspect bikes. I honestly am not an expert at bike fit. I purchased my bike from someone much taller than me and this guy is much taller. Although not a bike expert I do know not to simply swap something new for something old. All I do know is my bike feels a bit big. Seems logical that having a bike where I don't have to shorten th stem and push my saddle so forward might make sense. I'll meet the guy, inspect the bike and take it for a test ride. If not a good deal I'll go my separate way. Appreciate ball the input so far .
So what happened?
Likes For Phil_gretz: