Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Bicycle alternatives?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Bicycle alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 02:06 PM

Bikes: '88 Huffy proto-mountainbike; '82 Schwinn Town and Country Trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekdog
How about a folding bicycle? I love my Brompton. Although they're a bit pricey, they're great for multi-modal commuting. I take mine on the train with me every day. One would fit in the trunk of your friend's car. No problem.
I was about to say, they make full size (24/26") folding bikes as well as e-bikes. There are also inflatable bike carriers that are small enough and light enough that you could take with you so you wouldn't have to leave it with the car.
Old 04-02-17, 02:08 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,548 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by NPC Brown Cow
There are also inflatable bike carriers that are small enough and light enough that you could take with you so you wouldn't have to leave it with the car.
Pictures or a reference of an available product and not a Kickstarter scam??

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 04-02-17 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-02-17, 03:42 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Pictures or a reference of an available product and not a Kickstarter scam??
It was at Interbike 2015, it was called Trunk Monkey. But searching around the web it seems to have gone *poof*. Hmmm.

Here is the Interbike footage:
Old 04-02-17, 07:33 PM
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,548 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by NPC Brown Cow
It was at Interbike 2015, it was called Trunk Monkey. But searching around the web it seems to have gone *poof*. Hmmm.

Here is the Interbike footage:
https://youtu.be/SqfEUyw94Rw
The TrunkMonkey™ brainstorm can still be found on the Internet. Read the comments about how the Kickstarter investors and customers got scammed by the TrunkMonkey™ Gang and Kickstarter folks.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...panio/comments
Old 04-03-17, 08:58 AM

Bikes: Cannondale R600 Triple, Me-Mover FIT 2.0

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My present transportation is self-powered, has 3 wheels, uses same muscles as running without the impact. As far as speed the Me-Mover requires about 20% more energy to propel than a bicycle, however, the inherent stability gives this machine unique advantages riding over rough terrain.
My 79-year-old legs have acclimated to be able to do rides in the 40-mile distance category, climb grades that initially were difficult, but the more I ride the Me-Mover the more my strength and endurance increases.
A running athlete in Europe rode over 2,000 miles on a multi-day trip. As far as aerobics the Me-Mover accelerates physical conditioning because of the propulsion method, everything is quicker, I don't have to spend hours spinning or ride steep grades to train.
I use the MM to shop, for recreation and general transportation, the more I ride the more my average speed increases.
Old 04-03-17, 09:39 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The TrunkMonkey™ brainstorm can still be found on the Internet. Read the comments about how the Kickstarter investors and customers got scammed by the TrunkMonkey™ Gang and Kickstarter folks.
I only knew it from the Interbike coverage and hadn't looked into it beyond that. That is a mess, it looks like some backers in the US got their Trunkmonkey but those out side the US did not.
Old 04-03-17, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
Cheap, folding rack:

Allen Sports Deluxe Ultra Compact Folding 1-Bike Rack| DICK'S Sporting Goods

Consider car-pooling with someone who has a pickup truck.

Folding bike.
Old 04-10-17, 09:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I too followed a Kickstarter project that was successful, the Me-Mover. I now have the FIT 2.0 version, updated transmissions, Schwalbe tires, and more. I rode bicycles for many years, still ride my Cannondale, but that MM is something else. I had to acclimate myself, worth the time, it increased my endurance, the lactic acid has diminished for my 79-year-old body, mileage has increased, climbing grades have become easier, and no numb butt anymore.
It's different, get a lot of interest on the trail for cyclists of all kinds, they see me standing, pumping the pedals, some turn around for information. Some Me-Mover athletes are doing centuries, I'm satisfied with 30 or 40 mile treks, great workout.
Old 04-10-17, 10:17 AM
low end rider

Bikes: 80's. hoarder.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 37 Posts
ekick, push, scoot

Some electric "kick scooters" have decent lithium tech these days. Not exactly lightweight with the batteries, but they are very compact. More compact than an ebike. Stow under your desk.. the good ones are pricey though. I've used one and it was pretty fast.

The euro style "push bikes" are pretty cool. Never had one but with the road bike size wheels, should roll well.

I'll 2nd the Ruckus or other motor scooter as another good affordable option I've used. Would stick with a used name brand one versus new no name if the budget is tight. 2strokes are pretty simple to rebuild too if the need arises. No valve train to worry about. You can usually find a running older ones for $500.
Old 04-15-17, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan
I too followed a Kickstarter project that was successful, the Me-Mover. I now have the FIT 2.0 version, updated transmissions, Schwalbe tires, and more. I rode bicycles for many years, still ride my Cannondale, but that MM is something else. I had to acclimate myself, worth the time, it increased my endurance, the lactic acid has diminished for my 79-year-old body, mileage has increased, climbing grades have become easier, and no numb butt anymore.
It's different, get a lot of interest on the trail for cyclists of all kinds, they see me standing, pumping the pedals, some turn around for information. Some Me-Mover athletes are doing centuries, I'm satisfied with 30 or 40 mile treks, great workout.
This post reminded me that I had a dream one night that I was being passed by people on stair-master driven HPVs like this. I remember thinking how fast they seemed in the dream and wondering how they could get so much more speed/power standing up. When I think about it awake, though, I suspect wind-drag increases with a higher vertical profile, so I think a low velomobile-type configuration would be faster and more stable for longer trips, but of course I haven't ridden one of those stair-master drive Me-Mover HPVs yet, so maybe they're faster than I think, in my dreams AND in reality.
Old 04-15-17, 10:15 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
This post reminded me that I had a dream one night that I was being passed by people on stair-master driven HPVs like this. I remember thinking how fast they seemed in the dream and wondering how they could get so much more speed/power standing up. When I think about it awake, though, I suspect wind-drag increases with a higher vertical profile, so I think a low velomobile-type configuration would be faster and more stable for longer trips, but of course I haven't ridden one of those stair-master drive Me-Mover HPVs yet, so maybe they're faster than I think, in my dreams AND in reality.
The more I ride the Me-Mover, the more I increase my overall physical condition. At 79 years old I'm satisfied with the results since I started over a year ago. Like any new form of exercise/self-powered transportation, I had to adjust, even after years of bicycle riding I felt the difference in my leg muscles and core since riding a bicycle my core is more or less dormant. Each ride gave me more strength and endurance. I felt the lactic acid build as I did HIIT routines and accepted the discomfort which subsided after a while. I wish the Me-Mover was invented when I was younger to take advantage of the speed potential which is about 25 + mph. I have attained these speeds and higher according to Endomondo. I'm impressed with the stability of the machine when I ride over terrain I would not consider on a bicycle, the carving ability is unique as I take tight S turns at speed.
At this point I'm addicted to riding the Me-Mover challenging myself on inclines, going further with HIIT routines, it's all condensed, saves me time since aerobic conditioning is increased by about 20% more energy is used to propel than a bicycle.
Old 04-15-17, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan
take advantage of the speed potential which is about 25 + mph.
How long (time and/or distance) can 25mph be sustained? Would you say you can sustain 25mph with the same amount of effort/conditioning as cycling at 25mph for the same duration/distance, or does this MM require less effort to sustain the same speed?

And where do you mount luggage racks/panniers on it?
Old 04-15-17, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
How long (time and/or distance) can 25mph be sustained? Would you say you can sustain 25mph with the same amount of effort/conditioning as cycling at 25mph for the same duration/distance, or does this MM require less effort to sustain the same speed?

And where do you mount luggage racks/panniers on it?
As I wrote, the Me-Mover requires about 20% more effort to propel than a bicycle. I am 79 years old which should be taken into consideration regarding my speed capability. The Me-Mover weighs about 50 + pounds, it has 2 transmissions, high stepping for hill climbing, mid to lower for cruising. Sustained speed is contingent on physical condition and of course, age as a consideration.
There is a luggage carrier as an option which I use extensively for shopping. I suggest you go to Me-Mover.com and Me-Mover Around The World on Facebook for further questions.
I presently have the current version, FIT 2.0 with improved transmissions, tires, handlebar, has 2 disc brakes.
Old 04-17-17, 08:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't realize what the Me-Mover would do when I first started riding last year. The first thing I found was my legs complained which surprised me, after riding bicycles for years, albeit not in any races, but I have done centuries and considered myself in decent shape for my age. I could feel the lactic acid build after only a short ride, I thought what did I get into, this thing is hard to propel, it was until I attacked the lactic acid with sprints, longer sprints until there was no pain.
I was using different muscles, muscles that I thought was conditioned to use on the Me-Mover. Now after about a year, and a second Me-Mover, the FIT 2.0 I realize I altered my physical condition, improved it since that first ride. I can feel it in my core, my legs, my endurance, even at 79 years old I adapted sooner than expected, the acclimation was about 10 days for the comfort level to increase, it grew each time I rode.
This is cross-training at its best because it compels you to increase your stamina, you are required to go beyond your plateaus. I could feel the difference when I ride my bicycle, spinning faster, climbing faster. I never knew the Me-Mover was a conduit to a stronger fitter me.
Old 04-17-17, 11:38 AM

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I'm currently RV/car/motorcycle 'heavy' but did LCF for nearly a decade in Manhattan and used bicycles, skateboards, and rollerblades for both transportation and fun. I have a wanderlust and like to use the best mode of wheeled transport for any given type of tour/actively, and am familiar/proficient with a bunch. The single best/most versatile human-powered transportation device I've come across yet is my Brompton folder. If I were to LCF again, I could drop everything mentioned above without much concern... except for the Brompton.
Old 05-23-17, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a soft spot for sub 200 cc mopeds, motorcycles with pedals.