Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are bike tires getting so expensive?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are bike tires getting so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-23, 04:41 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
As any B-student in an intro to econ course understands, rising prices are the most reliable means of eliminating shortages.
​​​​​​

At what time scale? You can starve to death a lot faster than the food supply increases.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-12-23, 07:20 AM
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11030 Post(s)
Liked 7,576 Times in 4,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I would maintain that the premise of: Good tires getting expensive = totally false.

....but you must buy On Sale ($70 SOMA Vitesse 33-622 was just 1/2 price = bought 4) and buy from UK/EU (Merlin cycles GP5000 2tires+tubes = $86.50usd).
To recap, you think the argument that good tires are getting expensive is TOTALLY false, but for that argument to be totally false, you must search around and luck out on finding sales as well as buy from another continent?
I posted earlier in this thread that I found a pair of GP5k tires for $88 on Amazon earlier this year, and that was an attempt to help show that good tires can still be purchased for what I consider to be a very reasonable price. But even I find your point to be funny and meaningless. If I have to either search around for deep discount sales that clear out current inventory(Vitesse as an example), or I have to purchase from another continent, then yeah- good tires are getting expensive. That doesnt mean there arent deals to still be had here and there, but it does mean they are getting expensive.

Also, insert here the Inigo Montoya meme about a word not meaning what you think it means- TOTALLY.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 04-12-23, 07:57 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3908 Post(s)
Liked 4,864 Times in 2,244 Posts
I think when cheap tires are still cheap and good/excellent tires can be found by avoiding certain vendors, then tires have not gotten much more expensive than a decade ago. That's my reality. Maybe I should not search for deals and pay LBS prices and American online retail prices, , and just complain. Complaining is so much more satisfying online (7 pages) than finding best price (few suggestions).

Head out of Sand Moment = everything is more expensive.

My 1st brand new sports car cost $3,000.
My parent's first house.....

My favorite comment is @tyrion in #4. He bought hundred dollar tires for a bike and would do so again after the riding experience. About $60-70 is my upper limit, but sub-$100 Dugast tubulars are a big interest.

edit: actually I believe in the 1 World Economy over the America First Economy. Tariffs are taxes.
re-edit: I also recognize that when one owns lots of bikes you don't panic when a tire wears out. Always time to find an acceptable price before you replace. Not typical.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-12-23 at 11:27 AM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-12-23, 11:22 AM

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3560 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Right ... of course. If there is no food, don't grow more .... raise prices. Suddenly there is abundant food, right?
So a farmer, who makes money by selling a crop, might be incentivized to stop producing the crop, so prices will go up on his non-existent yield?

Makes sense. Or cents.
Old 04-12-23, 11:40 AM
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by smd4
So a farmer, who makes money by selling a crop, might be incentivized to stop producing the crop, so prices will go up on his non-existent yield?

Makes sense. Or cents.
since this is a bicycle tire thread, complaining about prices - maybe we need to bring the rubber industry back on American shores. . I vote More Rubber Trees.

yes, farmers in USA (and maybe elsewhere) often get paid to not grow certain crops. Besides, when I fly over farm country, I see millions of acres fallow. Maybe entitlements for Ag should be cut from the federal budget; would they plant more?.
Old 04-12-23, 12:08 PM

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2614 Post(s)
Liked 1,958 Times in 1,227 Posts
yes, farmers in USA (and maybe elsewhere) often get paid to not grow certain crops. Besides, when I fly over farm country, I see millions of acres fallow. Maybe entitlements for Ag should be cut from the federal budget; would they plant more?.
Cut agriculture subsidies? What are you, woke?

Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-12-23, 12:31 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Sew-ups cost as much as car tires in the '70s, and people couldn't believe it then, either.
They weren't that bad.

I had a bike shop, I think in Italy, that sold me several lightly used sewups with flats for a couple of bucks for all of them.

All I had to do was patch them and they were good as new.

Others I got for free.

Lots of lazy people in the world.
Old 04-12-23, 03:54 PM
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Cut agriculture subsidies? What are you, woke?

thank doG

more rubber trees...for cheap bicycle tires, local production, buy local. Support your farmer's market.
free enterprise, but govt pays Ag entitlements to farmers (corporate and smaller accordingly), not to grow?

Awoken is accurately informed and wanting equal application of Constitutional laws for all people in our borders. Requires no activism, maybe voting. Who's not wanting to be correctly informed with real Constitutional equality for all, thus = awoken?

mods... this thread should be closed, ... yesterday. Thank you. Or moved to Politics, where it would (could?) be more interesting than protracted tire price whining.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-12-23 at 04:08 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-12-23, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18419 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,366 Posts
more rubber trees...for cheap bicycle tires, local production, buy local.
I think most of the tires I ride are made in Europe. Not local, but that may also contribute to prices being higher than similar tires made in China or Taiwan.

Do any American companies make bicycle tires?
Old 04-12-23, 04:35 PM

Bikes: Mongoose Dolomite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Replaced fat tires, 4" x 26" at Christmas got one tire for same price as two last time I replaced them. Previous set was in 2018.
Old 04-13-23, 07:00 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Did you actually read that page? It perfectly illustrates my point -- that there is no definition of 'price gouging.' That's why all of those states have different definitions, and why many of them use squishy, subjective words like "exorbitant," "unconscionable," and "excessive." Words that are the opposite of “clear and specific.”

PS: I also noticed that you did not address a single thing I wrote about price controls and price gouging laws. I’m interested to read your thoughts on the efficacy of such policies.

So I actually went through the entire page, and I'm struck by the near unanimity among the states that have sucjh laws that this is an emergency measure (a couple of states don't mention "disaster" or "emergency"). If we want to treat this as Econ 101 stuff, it's an attempt to cope with localized transient market failures induced by disruption in transportation and/or manufacture.

You're wildly overstating the case that the term "gouging" doesn't have a meaning. We can agree that the tire price increases aren't that, but I think your assertion that allowing people to charge $20 per gallon for drinking water is a good solution to a temporary shortage is Chicago school taken to an absurd degree. . We do actually have governments for a reason.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-13-23, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 7062 Post(s)
Liked 11,128 Times in 4,749 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
You're wildly overstating the case that the term "gouging" doesn't have a meaning. We can agree that the tire price increases aren't that, but I think your assertion that allowing people to charge $20 per gallon for drinking water is a good solution to a temporary shortage is Chicago school taken to an absurd degree. . We do actually have governments for a reason.
Is $2 per gallon "gouging"? $3? $4? Any such threshold is arbitrary and subjective.

And still no one has explained how it helps people (especially in an emergency) to dramatically limit any incentive for resources to flow to those who most need them. Likewise, only one or two posters seem to recognize that price ceilings won't actually prevent high prices, as goods will sell on the black market for whatever prices people are willing to pay. (Do you really believe that, after a devastating hurricane, local authorities are going to be enforcing 'price gouging' laws? I sure hope they have better things to do.)

I think Maelochs , who went silent after being asked a pretty basic question in post 149, is sort of a poster boy for the people in this thread who want to deny reality -- which is that stuff goes to those who will pay the most for it. A lot of the time, for a lot of the stuff, I think this is a pretty lousy way to do it...But I'm reminded of the Winston Churchill quote about democracy. In modern times, we're stuck with capitalism. If we want to fix those problems, price ceilings are a lousy mechanism -- it'd be much simpler and more effective to simply ensure that everyone had enough money to buy the things they need and let the market do what it does best. But here in the US, extreme income redistribution seems about as popular as leprosy.

PS: This isn't "Chicago School." It's econ 101, almost anywhere it's taught.

PPS: By the way, we're now up to 163 posts, and still no one has shown us an example of any commonly-used tire that can't be purchased for <$100.
Old 04-13-23, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Rubber trees in the USA? Is that a joke? There is a reason condoms and Foley catheters are made in Malaysia, besides cheap labor although Moncks Corner makes them with imported RM. Overseas can pollute at will, who cares about ethylene oxide in the atmosphere. I can't remember seeing a rubber plantation anywhere in the USA but that would not stop some from wasting money trying.

$35-40 tires are now $60-65, much like heating oil used to be $1.69 in October of 2020 and is now "Only" double that. (Yes, I know black chili is made north of Frankfurt from a combo of natural and synthetic). Anyone who thinks tire prices have not increased is living in another world. My car tires are over $400 now.
Old 04-13-23, 08:20 AM
Tragically Ignorant

Is $2 per gallon "gouging"? $3? $4? Any such threshold is arbitrary and subjective.

And still no one has explained how it helps people (especially in an emergency) to dramatically limit any incentive for resources to flow to those who most need them. Likewise, only one or two posters seem to recognize that price ceilings won't actually prevent high prices, as goods will sell on the black market for whatever prices people are willing to pay. (Do you really believe that, after a devastating hurricane, local authorities are going to be enforcing 'price gouging' laws? I sure hope they have better things to do.)

I think Maelochs , who went silent after being asked a pretty basic question in post 149, is sort of a poster boy for the people in this thread who want to deny reality -- which is that stuff goes to those who will pay the most for it. A lot of the time, for a lot of the stuff, I think this is a pretty lousy way to do it...But I'm reminded of the Winston Churchill quote about democracy. In modern times, we're stuck with capitalism. If we want to fix those problems, price ceilings are a lousy mechanism -- it'd be much simpler and more effective to simply ensure that everyone had enough money to buy the things they need and let the market do what it does best. But here in the US, extreme income redistribution seems about as popular as leprosy.

PS: This isn't "Chicago School." It's econ 101, almost anywhere it's taught.

PPS: By the way, we're now up to 163 posts, and still no one has shown us an example of any commonly-used tire that can't be purchased for <$100.
Laws draw arbitrary lines all the time--what do you think a speed limit is?

It does appear that these laws get enforced, I'm sure I can find lots more if I try:
https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov...rricane-harvey

Econ 101 also deals with issues of market failures. The typical emergency situation is when someone can temporarily exercise monopoly power. Allowing exorbitant pricing is a (really crappy) rationing method, but it won't cause the transportation breakdown to get fixed any sooner. It's just silly to assume that allowing people to charge $20 per gallon for water will make the bridges and pipes get fixed any faster. All it does is produce a windfall to the guy who happened to have the hoard of water.

Show me anywhere where I asserted that tire prices are too high or that there are $100 tires. I agree with you this isn't price gouging, but again, you dragged this into a side issue by making a bunch of ridiculous claims that there is no such thing as price gouging.

Funny you should cite Churchill here, you really don't see the irony there? Cough, cough, wartime rationing, cough cough.
Old 04-13-23, 08:25 AM
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3101 Post(s)
Liked 6,644 Times in 3,806 Posts
This thread has run its course.

Closed.

Likes For cb400bill: