Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What hot meals do you like when camping?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What hot meals do you like when camping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-12, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by DTSCDS
Here is a link to a site that is all about recipes for freezerbag cooking on the trail.
Excellent! Lots of great ideas.
Old 05-23-12, 12:43 PM
Asphalt Hero

Bikes: Trek 4400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Millet porridge is the tastest porridge I eat along or with one companion. Boil water, put there a millet. Boil until it completely absorb the water. Then put it to plates, add condenced milk and mix. It's easier than preparing usual millet porridge at home. But not less tasty. It's also easy to wash the tableware.
Old 05-24-12, 07:56 PM

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've stated it quite often but here it goes again. Nido is great tasting powdered whole milk.

For the short trips that Alan is taking Mountain House is just fine. For long trips it's probably to expensive.

Some of my hot meals were (all cooked in a pot):
- Canned roast beef & instant rice
- Tuna in pouch, mashed potatoes flakes with Nido and dried mixed vegetables
- Chicken in pouch and broccoli rice
Old 05-29-12, 08:15 AM

Frustrating weekend. Had everything packed and ready to go, but called off the trip. Too much last minute work on Friday, wasn't feeling great on Saturday, huge thunderstorms predicted for Sunday (and actually were pretty bad). Plus, the ground was saturated from the previous week's rain.

Nice thing about touring food is that is can stay packed in bags for a long time. Next weekend is looking promising.
Old 05-29-12, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 760 Times in 564 Posts
Originally Posted by cbike
I've stated it quite often but here it goes again. Nido is great tasting powdered whole milk.
I have looked in local grocery stores and have yet to find this product. I did see something with that brand name in a Super Walmart on one of my recent tours (I forget whether it was on the Southern tier or the Pacific Coast). That was on shelf with the infant formula, so I am not sure if it was baby formula or whole milk. If I remember correctly the label was in Spanish and it was in a huge can (3.5 pounds maybe). Is that the same product?
Old 06-11-12, 08:10 AM

Finally got in my overnight trip. The C&O Towpath was in pretty good shape, having dried up considerably over the past two weeks. Rode 60 miles in 5 hours on Friday, arriving at the Killiansburg Cave hiker-biker campsite (Mile 75) at 8:30, just as it was getting dark, so no time to do any real cooking.

I quickly boiled a pot of water, which was enough for the Mountain House beef stroganoff. While that was "cooking" in the pouch, I also heated up a pouch of Uncle Ben's cheesey rice and added a pouch of chicken. The rice and chicken was decent, but the beef stroganoff was really quite good.

It sure was nice having a hot meal at the end of the day, and one that required minimal preparation, as it was completely dark by the time everything was ready. The only hitch was that I inadvertently forgot to pack two additional bottles of water, so no hot coffee or oatmeal for breakfast. The water at the hiker-biker sites is safe to drink, but foul tasting. Picked up some city water in Brunswick and had a nice hot cup-o-noodles and coffee for lunch.

Last edited by alan s; 06-11-12 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-11-12, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by alan s
The water at the hiker-biker sites is safe to drink, but foul tasting.
I found that to be pretty variable from pump to pump along the C&O. Some are fine and some not. Stock up a bit when it is good and pass when it is not.
Old 06-11-12, 09:02 AM

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
I have looked in local grocery stores and have yet to find this product. I did see something with that brand name in a Super Walmart on one of my recent tours (I forget whether it was on the Southern tier or the Pacific Coast). That was on shelf with the infant formula, so I am not sure if it was baby formula or whole milk. If I remember correctly the label was in Spanish and it was in a huge can (3.5 pounds maybe). Is that the same product?
Sounds like it is the same one. It's popular with the Hispanics and Walmart does carry it if there is a Hispanic population near by. Most Caucasians don't have a clue what it is so inquire with a Hispanic employee and your chance is higher. It's sold as small kids drinks (after they are done with infant formula) and it's not cheap.

https://www.nestlenido.com/
Old 06-11-12, 09:24 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6241 Post(s)
Liked 4,251 Times in 2,384 Posts
You couldn't pay me to eat Mountain House meals on a regular basis. They would be pretty close to my last choice other than possibly for an emergency meal stowed away and I generally don't even use them for that. I think I'd eat PB&J for every meal before I'd resort to them.
I'm the same. I have a couple of very well traveled Mountain House meals (about 4000 miles and counting) that I would only eat if I couldn't find road kill. I do eat them if I am backpacking or bikepacking to remote areas but I'd almost prefer eating grass.

Most of the time I keep it pretty simple. A fav of mine is ramen noodles with foil packed tuna and maybe some freeze dried peas thrown in. I add a bag salad and maybe some wine when I feel like something nicer. If near a store before dinner sometimes some bag dinner from the frozen foods section. Dried soups or chili can be pretty good as can the stuff in boxes that just requires heating. Dried rice or pasta dishes can be pretty good. Actual normal cooking once in a while is a nice change too, but I usually don't do it all that often when on tour.
A couple of things I've found on my tours are Zataran's rices. If I'm close to a grocery store before I camp, I'll buy fresh chicken and/or sausages that can be used in their Jambalaya rice. If I'm going to be to far from camp to carry products that need refrigeration, I'll carry foil packed meats like chicken or Spam (Helmart carries them every where) which aren't too bad. Spam goes particularly well with Red Beans and Rice.

I've also found that Target is carrying some very nice one-pot side dishes. They have a mushroom gnochi that is very yummy and a welcome break from rice dishes. They also have a tortellini dish that is very good. Add foil chicken and you have a very good meal or you can eat them alone. The only problem is finding a Target store.

I would suggest staying away from anything by Korr. Filling but very tasteless.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-11-12, 09:47 AM

Bikes: LHT + FreeRadical

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you guys talking about Mountain House in a brand-specific matter or using it as a synonym for all dehydrated meals? Personally, most of the stuff I can't stand but there are a couple varieties of Natural High that I kinda enjoy and find satisfying.

kinda surprised nobody has mentioned eggs yet. there are cheap and effective ways to prevent them from cracking and depending on the egg they can be kept un-refrigerated for extended periods of time.
Old 06-11-12, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Spam goes particularly well with Red Beans and Rice.
Not exactly health food, but Spam can be quite tasty. I especially like it fried until a little crispy on the outside. It is also yummy in a grilled cheese sandwich especially with a slice of fresh tomato.
Old 06-11-12, 12:13 PM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6241 Post(s)
Liked 4,251 Times in 2,384 Posts
Originally Posted by benda18
Are you guys talking about Mountain House in a brand-specific matter or using it as a synonym for all dehydrated meals? Personally, most of the stuff I can't stand but there are a couple varieties of Natural High that I kinda enjoy and find satisfying.

kinda surprised nobody has mentioned eggs yet. there are cheap and effective ways to prevent them from cracking and depending on the egg they can be kept un-refrigerated for extended periods of time.
Mountain House is a brand. REI carries it but all freeze dried meals fall into the same category...okay but only if you don't have anything else.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-11-12, 02:18 PM
"Fred"--is that bad?

Bikes: Felt f85 (11); Trek 7.3 FX (07); Schwinn Super Sport (86); Specialized Rockhopper (87)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm the same. I have a couple of very well traveled Mountain House meals (about 4000 miles and counting) that I would only eat if I couldn't find road kill. I do eat them if I am backpacking or bikepacking to remote areas but I'd almost prefer eating grass.

Ahhhh yes. . .I remember my first backpacking trip with a load of dehydrated meals. The first night we made camp and broke out the cooking gear. I remember pouring the boiling water into the brightly colored package and waiting in anticipation for the feast we were about to enjoy. As the meal rehydrated we lovingly stared at the beautiful picture of the gourmet food that was awaiting us inside only moments away.
I can't adequately express my disappointment with the bowl of HELL that it turned out to be. The pain is still fresh in my mind.
The whole situation sucked so hard that when I think about it my ears pop.

Last edited by DTSCDS; 06-11-12 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-11-12, 02:35 PM
eternalvoyage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
I have a Snow Peak GigaPower stove and small Ti pot for cooking, so nothing fancy. Cooking for one person. Water is plentiful, which means probably dried or dehydrated meals are preferable to keep weight and bulk down.

What are the best hot meals that are simple to prepare, easy to clean up, and primarily use hot water, rather than cooking the food?

Breakfast, instant oatmeal and coffee.

Lunch, not preparing a hot meal.

Dinnner, Mountain House meals and Cup-o-Noodle soup. Pasta and rice dishes?
For the combination of price, nutrition, availability, ease of preparation, light weight, cardiovascular health benefits, versatility, protein, insoluble fiber content, complex carbohydrates, absence of synthetic additives, range of both sweet and savory possibilities, etc., (one-minute) oats are a great food -- especially if you learn some new ways, including the savory, of flavoring them. Most people have barely scratched the surface here (as elsewhere), and go with the grooves of habit, the very narrow grooves of habit.
Old 06-11-12, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also found that Target is carrying some very nice one-pot side dishes. They have a mushroom gnochi that is very yummy and a welcome break from rice dishes. They also have a tortellini dish that is very good. Add foil chicken and you have a very good meal or you can eat them alone. The only problem is finding a Target store.
Target has all sorts of interesting, and generally, quite tasty, pre-packaged meals under their house label. They aren't inexpensive, although cheaper and tastier than the camping specific brands. Check out the country of origin on the back too. Seem to remember several of the pasta dishes were from Italy, along with a couple of Indian sourced meals.

Try a couple at home first. Note they can often be depackaged for considerable volume savings. Can get rid of the box and plastic bowl on the one single dish meals and just prepare directly in your pot.

If you like ramen, I've taken to adding a tablespoon or so of PB to one of the spicy versions. A backwoods pad thai, if you like.
Old 06-11-12, 04:59 PM
eternalvoyage

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If prepared properly, oats can have a texture more like rice or couscous. They are higher in soluble fiber than other grains, lower in insoluble fiber, higher in protein, and higher quality protein, and contain some unusual compounds that lower bad cholesterol levels and reduce cardiovascular problems.
Old 06-11-12, 06:21 PM
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
So many great ideas, I'm getting hungry! Yeah, oats are really sustaining and tasty while riding. I can cook pasta in a minimal amount of water (and thus less fuel burned). Experiment and see for yourself... I had some pesto from a steel toothpaste tube that was suprisingly good over capellini. A proper instant soup is always a good quick-pick-me-up.

Last edited by venturi95; 06-11-12 at 06:24 PM.