Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuter Bicycle Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-14, 06:59 AM
one life on two wheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks himespau, I think blue is a good choice too. It would be something a little different, which I like. Can't go wrong with white, either
Old 08-14-14, 01:11 PM
That guy from the Chi

Bikes: 88 Trek 800 - gone to new cheeks; '14 Trek 1.2 - aka The X1 Advanced; '13 Trek 3500 Disc

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cobrabyte

I saw this and thought BEAUTIFUL ride....clean but elegant.
Old 08-17-14, 12:26 AM
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought another bike! I think that I might have a bicycle addiction. My lady definitely thinks that I have an addiction. Behold the QE2:

I'd passed this beauty by when it first showed up on Craigslist a couple of months ago, despite a heady sensation of Want, and opted instead to buy a Burley Travoy trailer. But while the trailer easily managed loads beyond what a rear bike rack alone could comfortably handle (a full week's worth of groceries from Costco, 30 pound bags of dog food, a full week's worth of beer [like, several 12 packs (what? I'm a craft beer aficionado, not a drunk, I swear!)], a couple of weeks worth of recycling [mostly beer bottles/cans ]), it still handled like a trailer: herky-jerky under loaded acceleration and braking, squirrelly when going unloaded over uneven terrain (Anchorage is a winter city, and our pavement reflects that).

The Travoy worked well enough, but when I saw the Xtracycle pop up on Craigslist again, I decided to return the trailer to REI and try out the longtail. Further motivation was provided by the fact that the bike that I'd been using to pull the trailer had been recently hit by a car and was indefinitely out of commission.

Two weeks worth of recycling, glass in the bottom two bins, paper, plastic, and aluminum in the top two. Slow under acceleration and while climbing, obviously, but none of the push-me-pull-you sensation of pulling a loaded trailer. It's a little wobbly getting underway, probably due to the lack of a proper top tube, but once you get rolling it's smooth and steady. No no-handed riding while loaded, though.

This is how she looked like when I bought her. The bike itself is a small women's MTB, a Kuwahara Mondia Shasta Road (more on this in a moment), and both the seat and the bars were too low for me. I installed a longer seatpost and changed out the wide lady's saddle for my slightly less wide Brooks. I was going to change out the stem for a longer one, but instead opted for high rise handlebars so that I could keep this sweet original Nitto stem:

The white fenders were, I think, moped fenders? Steel, old, and well battered, which was fine, but I didn't like the fender line so I installed a new set of Bontragers, which BTW are the most stable, least rattle-ey plastic fenders I've seen, as well as the easiest to install. Removed the front derailleur and two chainrings because I want to install a chain guard. Swapped the front wheel because I've other plans for that dynohub. Changed the rear wheel, rear derailleur, and shifter to increase the number of gears (8sp 32-12 instead of 6sp 32-16) to compensate for the loss of the big ring. Changed the rear brake lever to a long pull, to better actuate the BB7 disc brake in the rear. Installed a set of Big Apple tires, because they're awesome, plus a bell (Crane Karen), mirror (German Ultralite), and wheel light (Monkeylectric) because they're useful. Changed out the heavily weathered Xtracycle snapdeck for my old longboard, because I think it looks cool, and it can be removed and ridden home if the bike breaks down:

(The land dinghy, ready for launch)

and to facilitate bike surfing, a la Teen Wolf:

("Why do you keep yelling 'Cowabunga!'? I don't see any cows.")

Beyond the pending chain guard, I also plan to upgrade the heavily worn Freeloader bags to Surly's waterproof Dummy bags, build some LED running lights, and possibly build a new front wheel around a dyno/drum hub. The power disparity between the canti front brake and the disc rear is annoying, and the canti is next to useless when there's a load on the bike; but I don't want to change the fork because it matches the frame, and I don't think that one inch threaded disc forks are a thing, anyway. Are they?

The Kuwahara at the core of this boat is a Japanese made frame, imported to Switzerland (Mondia bikes was the Swiss distributor for Kuwahara), which was brought to Alaska by an immigrant couple, sold to the bike dork who did the Xtracycle conversion, and then sold to me. The decal on the top tube states that the bike is a 'Mondia Shasta Road', which is confusing as the bike is clearly a MTB, with 26 inch wheels and tons of clearance (I've mounted 2 inch tires and full wrap fenders, and the fork still has half an inch of clearance in all directions). So far I haven't been able to find any info about this bike on the internet, but then again, I don't speak Swiss (or whatever they speak).

The previous owner told me that, other than the wheels and Xtracycle addition, everything on the bike was stock. Suntour indexed/friction thumb shifters, Suntour XCE derailleurs, Nitto stem and h'bars, Sugino cranks, Dia-Compe cantis. I'm keeping everything that I pull off of the bike, in case I ever want to restore it to its original state. Not that I have any plans to do so; I love that at the heart of the weirdness that is this longtail kludge is a Swiss-Japanese, globe crossing bicycle. The previous owner told me that he had several people who wanted to buy just the Xtracycle kit from him, because they didn't like the frame. How could you not love a vintage, Japanese, lugged steel frame with an 80s tri-color fade paint job? Lugs! Pump pegs! Whatever this thing is for!

Oh yeah, in case you're wondering why I'm posting this in the Commuter forum, this has become my daily ride to work. My Straggler is still out of commission (rims are at the powder coater, and then it's just a matter of lacing up the wheels), and the Kuwahara isn't really any slower or less pleasant to ride than the Windsor 3-speed that I've been riding, at least when not carrying large loads. It might accelerate a bit more slowly, but my ride is mostly flat, the cruiser h'bars and Brooks saddle combo is wicked comfortable, and, yes, it turns like you'd expect from a bike with a 5 foot long wheelbase, but that isn't an issue on my ride to work. Plus, I built a huge compost bin this summer, and am using the longtail to bring home four 10 gallon buckets of compostable waste from the restaurant every day, two of veggie trimmings and two of spent coffee grounds. My garden is going to rock next summer!

Float on, old boat.
Old 08-17-14, 02:49 AM
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is a work of art.
Old 08-17-14, 03:36 AM
Lug

Bikes: 2015 Salsa Fargo 3, 2000 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
Almost called on this bike myself. But I don't have a safe place to park it. And with the uptick of bike thefts in town right now outside is a double not going to happen.
Justin

[QUOTE=GriddleCakes;17043976]I bought another bike! I think that I might have a bicycle addiction. My lady definitely thinks that I have an addiction. Behold the QE2:

I'd passed this beauty by when it first showed up on Craigslist a couple of months ago, despite a heady sensation of Want, and opted instead to buy a Burley Travoy trailer. But while the trailer easily managed loads beyond what a rear bike rack alone could comfortably handle (a full week's worth of groceries from Costco, 30 pound bags of dog food, a full week's worth of beer [like, several 12 packs (what? I'm a craft beer aficionado, not a drunk, I swear!)], a couple of weeks worth of recycling [mostly beer bottles/cans ]), it still handled like a trailer: herky-jerky under loaded acceleration and braking, squirrelly when going unloaded over uneven terrain (Anchorage is a winter city, and our pavement reflects that).

The Travoy worked well enough, but when I saw the Xtracycle pop up on Craigslist again, I decided to return the trailer to REI and try out the longtail. Further motivation was provided by the fact that the bike that I'd been using to pull the trailer had been recently hit by a car and was indefinitely out of commission.
Old 08-17-14, 04:21 AM
Tawp Dawg

Bikes: '06 Surly Pugsley, '14 Surly Straggler, '88 Kuwahara Xtracycle, '10 Motobecane Outcast 29er, '?? Surly Cross Check (wife's), '00 Trek 4500 (wife's), '12 Windsor Oxford 3-speed (dogs')

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@Lug Before I moved into a house with a garage, the only bikes that I considered owning were bikes that I could fit in my apartment, and could be carried up a flight of stairs; I've never considered leaving a bike outside overnight in Anchorage. Now that I've got a garage (which is occupied by a pair of pit bull mixes), my bike collection has trebled. I'm also lucky that my bike parking at work is right out front of the restaurant, which is glass fronted, where my coworkers can all see my bike(s) and will often tell me that someone is eyeing, touching, or photographing my bike(s) (mainly the Pugsley, which is a bit of a trip for many of the tourists who come into the restaurant and have never seen a fat bike; I end up getting pulled into numerous conversations about the fat bike). It also happens to be at the west end of 4th Ave, where the courthouses are, and where the police presence is pretty heavy. So, lucky me, I guess.
Old 08-17-14, 05:39 AM

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip LTD, 2013 Raleigh Misceo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Griddlecakes, can you tell us more about the rear wheel and hub. There's a fellow on here that might be able to use the information. (Sorry. Couldn't resist that!) Do you have any idea what the load weight rating would be?
Congrats on the score. With your mods, looks like you have made it into a very useful machine.
Old 08-17-14, 01:24 PM
Tawp Dawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@downwinded There must be a joke here that I'm not getting, but ok. Rear wheel came stock on my old Kona Fire Mt, which I stripped down to build up my 29er. Rear derailleur is a Shimano Alivio from the same bike. The Wideloader shelves that are under the recycling bins are rated to 50 pounds each, and the top deck is rated to 200, with the entire system rated to 250.
Old 08-18-14, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
Was gonna do a dropbar conversion, but I wanted to keep it as a low-cost beater, so I went with trekking bars:

Old 08-19-14, 08:37 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek 7.2 FX & 2015 Bianchi Volpe

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Nice bike. I have really been enjoying my trekking bars.
Old 08-19-14, 09:22 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
I just got this going today. It's a 3-speed internally geared fixed gear hub. I'm thinking it might be good for snowy days.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-19-14, 09:43 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I just got this going today. It's a 3-speed internally geared fixed gear hub....
Congrats on finding one. Have fun with it, it's perfect for NYC street riding.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-19-14, 09:51 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by FBinNY
Congrats on finding one. Have fun with it, it's perfect for NYC street riding.
I got it on ebay for a good price. I could buy a new one. Are you saying new ones are in short supply?

The ratio is 42/16, and the gears step down, so it's geared too low. I'll put on a 52t chainring later.

Cranks are 155mm in length!

Tires are a very cushy 35mm, inflated to about 55 psi. I will probably put 32's on instead, because these are tight.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-19-14, 10:03 PM

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

I got it on ebay for a good price. I could buy a new one. Are you saying new ones are in short supply?...
No, I knew you were looking for a vintage one, and thought you'd found one.

So the congrats are withdrawn, but the best wishes are still on.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 08-19-14, 11:49 PM
aka Tom Reingold

My god, I think I know what you're saying. Very arcane. No the thing Ive been lusting after is an AC or AM hub. Now that the S3X is in production, I'm happy to have it, but is it similar to an AM? I didn't even think of that!

Old 08-20-14, 01:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just started commuting to work 20km round trip. Here is my brand new 2014 Norco Indie 3 thanks to Norco's lifetime frame warranty.

I've added planet bike cascadia fenders, topeak bottle cage x 2, topeak explorer rack, ortlieb city back roller panniers, and ergon grips.

Next up, I plan on adding a bike computer and some SPD pedals.

Sorry for the bad pics, it was from my phone on the way to work this morning.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1049.jpg (92.0 KB, 480 views)
IMG_1050.jpg (94.1 KB, 438 views)
IMG_1048.jpg (91.9 KB, 433 views)
IMG_1047.jpg (92.1 KB, 444 views)
Old 08-20-14, 02:12 PM
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
nice looking bike @JLouie

i have never heard of that brand but I like the disk brakes.
Old 08-20-14, 02:24 PM

My god, I think I know what you're saying. Very arcane. No the thing Ive been lusting after is an AC or AM hub. Now that the S3X is in production, I'm happy to have it, but is it similar to an AM? I didn't even think of that!
It's bit wider than the AM (free) which had about a 1.37:1 high:low range, vs. the 1.6:1 of yours.

The ASC had a slightly close range and was fixed gear, while the AC was much closer with roughly 7% steps, and freewheel.

For Flatland city or island riding, I still ride my AC once in a while, and would love to see SA Taiwan bring out a 3s with jumps in the 10$ range (maybe as wide as 15%) but no wider.

Last edited by FBinNY; 08-20-14 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 02:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew

It is a canadian company based in Vancouver, BC. They are known for their mountain bikes. However, in recent years their road bikes and hybrids are getting some recognition.

I also own one of their road bikes and have nothing bad to a say about either one.
Old 08-20-14, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got the new machine ready for commuter duty.

Old 08-20-14, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
My commuter for the month of August.

Normally with a set of Ortlieb panniers at each end.
Old 08-20-14, 04:27 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by RidingMatthew

Norco has been in the bicycle business for a long time... probably better known in Canada than the U.S. and they were the importer for Nishiki in Canada for decades and offered comparable models with Norco branding.

They are also heavily involved in mtb racing and make some nice road and touring bicycles.
Old 08-20-14, 05:43 PM

Bikes: Surly Cross-check

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my latest commuter. Finished it up a couple of weeks ago with help from a friend, and now fine tuning it.

Old 08-20-14, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bug Shield
My commuter for the month of August.

Bikepooling? Or is the rumble seat for picking up the ladies on your way home?

Old 08-20-14, 07:47 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Norco has been in the bicycle business for a long time... probably better known in Canada than the U.S. and they were the importer for Nishiki in Canada for decades and offered comparable models with Norco branding.

They are also heavily involved in mtb racing and make some nice road and touring bicycles.
I don't think any bikes sold in the US carried the name Norco. The few I've seen were probably brought down by the individual owners.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.